“Birthday bash ”

Lanterns Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 471 Restaurants in Ipswich
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Description: PLEASE BOOK ONLINE AT OUR WEBSITE. Chinese Restaurant in Ipswich is a high quality Chinese restaurant serving authentic Chinese food.
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

Quick and sweet, great food, service was excellent, had great experience and well recommended this 5 star for me

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

I collapsed in this place and was rushed to hospital and then to Papworth for emergency open heart surgery. I was given a 70/30 chance of surviving. This restaurant had a letter delivered by my best friend as we were all charged for a complete buffet. We hadn’t even ordered mains but they didn’t care. They have never been in touch to find out how I was but they phoned my friend three times on the day to make sure we were going to turn up as there were nine of us. Never will any of us step foot in this place again as they’re only concerned about their profits

2  Thank twixy65
Reviewed 16 July 2018

I loved the atmosphere, the dim sum and chow mein was stellar. This restaurant truly is a hidden gem and I hope that in the future this places prospers. Thank you so much for the amazing dinner.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

We found this place years ago and we, our family and friends all come here on our recommendation. Last night we went there, there was a bit of confusion as to where we would sit. But ok they sorted it with a smile. Opened our menus and in in seconds asked if we would like to order ?? Waitress come back and we ordered, we order all at once. Hor d'evers then a soup etc. The soup was an intermediate course which suddnely appeared immediately and seconds later the hors d'vers. Which made me then rush my soup as not to leave my partner waiting to start. A spanish waiter came along and gave us menus to order next course I stated we hade ordered. He look at me with surprise and repeated what i said, i repeated again to which he repeated it bacto me. and looked around the restuarant in some confusion. For effect dear reader imagine Manuel from Fawlty Towers to get the effect. He scurried off, confused. Soon the courses followed which were only four, we chose four as we were on the tiniest table that could ever be made in the whole wide world, to small to even put by a bed!!
Anyway 'Manuel' arrived with food and begins to fill the table, he goes off for plates, now there is NO room , so he balances it half on and half off the table, my word reallly!! We now tell him we didnt order rice, he repeats , twice looks around confused. We told him we ordered chow mein. and again he repeats twice. off he goes for a waitress comes back with her she confirmed we ordered chow mein they both rush off before we finish speaking. He came back sawps the rice, fantasic. We noticed they gave us two sweet n sour dishes where one should have been kung-po. I asked him what each one was we could see he was not to sure then we explained to why one was not kung-po. He said his English is not very good he will go find waitress Off he goes to bring the waitrress , explianation given second waitress gets us the order.

Food seems to have changed a little, most things we found salty and no little decorations on the food as normal. Overalll taste was rather bland compared to previous visits. Waitress asked if we need more drinks, yes placed the order. Amazing thirty seconds later Manuel appeared asked did we want drinks, explained we ordered. Off he goes.... meal finished table cleared, Now we wait to order desserts.......and we wait......and wait......and wait. Suddenly another rushes past smiling sayin is everything ok ? I reply Ithought we had been forgotten. to which she replied no jjust asking if youre ok and before I order desserts she was gone like an empty crisp packet on a stromy night whoooosh. so we waited .......and waited and waited........till along came Manuel, do you want anything he asks. Dessert I quickly reply incase he tooo was going to be like the crisp packet. Dessert ordered the problem being will it be correct......YES bravo he couldn't confuse ice cream.

Asak for the bill, came , we got up to pay i placed cash in the folder scurrying back comes Manuel , sit sit I come to you he proudly tell us, Card he says, No cash i reply, nono card says Manuel No cash i reply, Manuel loooks now so confused and says once again CARD, i look him in the eyes and slowly said MONEY ah money!!!
All paid we left. I didnt leave a tip as normally do. On the way home I felt sorry for Manuel but admired him for doing the job. He was so hard. If I return it will be just to watch him , I feel the food was not it usual standard and shall look elsewhere now.

1  Thank DrPlum
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Fantastic food and fantastic service. All the team front of house were happy and cheerful and nothing is too much for them.