“The best Holiday Inn We have stayed at!”

Holiday Inn Stevenage
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Colchester, United Kingdom
“The best Holiday Inn We have stayed at!”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My Wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night. The hotel was extreamly clean and fresh. we had a room with a double bed which was very comfortable.
The staff were very welcoming and friendly.
The room was equiped with all modern furniture and fitting, the shower room was especially nice.
In the morning we went to the restaurant and despite being very busy the manager was most helpful.

I highly recoomenf the hotel to anyone staying in the area. This was the best Holiday Inn we have stayed at. Thank you team.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fastfrankie
HI_Stevenage_Res, Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Dear Guest

Further to your stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage earlier this month thank you for sharing your findings with us.

I was delighted the experience exceeded your expectations and that all aspects of your stay were very good. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the team, especially the Restaurant Manager whom you highlighted as being most helpful.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Stevenage in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The rooms in the hotel are very nice and comfortable, however the hotels is let down, consistently, by its bar service ( very slow) and food service which is not value for money at all. I even had an incident whereby I asked the breakfast chef is he would pay the £12 or so for breakfast and he said he wouldnt ( This was after I complained about the coldness and poor cooking of the breakfast) . I have twice complained and twice been asked by a manager to 'Give us another chance to put it right'. There is only so much a person can take, especially with the cost also. My other main issue is the 'high speed internet'. If you get over 1.1mb then you are going to be very lucky. The usual reply from reception is that its due to the amount of people online, which mean 'The more money we make then the slower your speed is going to be' PATHETIC.

In summary I will stay but wont eat here or use the bar and will only use the hour free wi fi offered to me as a priority club member. My data stick is 3 times as fast.

One final point is that unless you are in an executive room or disabled then you cant park onsite, You will get clamped for doing so, however dont expect the staff to warn you of this. I have never heard them ask any guests where they are parked so BEWARE

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Toffeeman2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor following your stay with us last month.

I was disappointed to learn that you describe your experience at Holiday Inn Stevenage as 'consistently average'. Whilst the rooms are 'very nice and comfortable' I'm sorry the Food & Beverage service you received was not at the same level.

The internet provided at the hotel is monitored by an external provider to ensure it meets the demands of our guests. I have ensured your comments have been forwarded to them, so that any further improvements can be highlighted.

The hotel offers on site parking for all guests staying in an Executive room and for blue badge holders. However, there are two car parks directly opposite the hotel and there is a discounted arrangement for all guests staying at Holiday Inn Stevenage, reducing the charge to £3.50 per exit.

Thank you for highlighting your concerns and valuable feedback.
Solihull, UK
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I booked to use this hotel through Trip Adviser less than 24 hours before I arrived. My first impression was not good, there is limited Car Parking (about 30 spaces) on the hotels grounds and they are fitted with warning signs advising against Parking unless the space had been reserved. Luckily I spotted a long stay Car Parking across the dual carriageway road from the hotel, run by the Council. Entry is by a token from the machine and when exiting the token is validated on payment to allow exit.

It is not possible unless you are an Olympic athlete to cross the road (a central barrier goes up the middle) and there is no obvious route to the hotel signed. I followed the pavement to a subway under a traffic island, walking perhaps 150 yds to the hotel. On entering Reception there was a sign explaining that arrangements were in hand to validate the token on departure for a fee of £3.50. Pity I didn’t know about that beforehand or there were signs in the Car Park to explain that.

Checking in was excellent, on announcing who I was I was recognised as a Priority Club member and extremely well handled. My room was on the second floor. The lift was large and the corridors wide and bright. My room had a lobby with a bathroom off (2m x 1m) with bath and a modern square wash basin in white, it was very clean. There were shelves for personal items. Toiletries were standard for a Holiday Inn.

The room was long a thin, perhaps 4m x 2m with built in wardrobe, draws and hospitality area, 2 single beds, an occasional armchair and a desk unit. There was a hairdryer under the desk (opposite end of the room from the bathroom?).The carpet was striped pale and dark green. There was a choice of pillows. Lighting levels were not brilliant, but the room was well decorated and clean.

I failed to get the Wi-fi to work. You can however get it free in the Bar if you purchase a drink.

I had asked for a double bed but instead had 2 single beds. Linen was crisp and clean. The inset television was a 22” with freeview. I couldn’t find the radio channels.

There was good 'black-out' and I slept reasonably well.

Check out was really pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I was pleased that despite a challenging start to your stay you enjoyed a restful and efficient experience at Holiday Inn Stevenage.

On the hotel website and within booking confirmations, the hotel highlights the car parking arrangements so that guests are advised prior to their stay with us.There is an underpass that allows guests to walk from the car park, under the dual carriageway and to the hotel. There are signs in the multi storey car park that direct guests accordingly, although this was not possible in the 'open air' car park. However, I will ensure our communications are reviewed based on your comments.

I'm delighted you enjoyed a good nights sleep and that your checkout was both pleasant and efficient.

I hope that there is the opportunity to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Stevenage in the future.
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Hotel was nice but staff on the front desk very frosty and seemed very glad to point out that no loyalty points were awarded through cheaper Laterooms bookings, kinda defeats the loyalty aspect altogether....

• Stayed June 2011
Dear Guest

I was sorry to learn that on this occasion the quality of the hotel was not matched by the friendliness and helpfulness of the Reception team. Please rest assured that your experience has been shared with the Front Office Manager who will ensure this is an isolated incident.

Thank you, for sharing your findings and I hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Stevenage in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This is a regular Holiday Inn adjacent to a run down shopping centre needing urgent development, car park accessed via underpass with a overnight charge.
No Restaurants or pubs in walking distance.
Long narrow standard room, electric failed in the night, fan and a lamp not working in the bathroom,small things which detract from customer satisfaction.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Further to your stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage at the end of May 2011 I was sorry to learn the experience failed to fully meet your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay at the hotel was marred by the electric failure in your room and the location.

With regards to dining options, the hotel does offer 'Destinations' Restaurant & bar which offers a range of international cuisine to suit all tastes. Alternatively, there are a selection of Restaurants adjacent to the station which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Slightly further afield, is Stevenage Old Town which offers further alternatives.

Thank you for sharing your findings with us and I hope this experience will not deter you from using Holiday Inn hotels in the future.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Stayed here while on a business trip into London.
Easy to get into town on the train - Station a nice 10 minute stroll away
Hotel was everything that you want, with an excellent power shower in my room.
Bar had a great selection of brands and the food at breakfast was great, even though it was really busy.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the upper floors - great views
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Gingeriggy
HI_Stevenage_Res, Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this review, 20 May 2011
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Holiday Inn Stevenage.

I was pleased the experience met your expectations and please rest assured your comments will be shared with the team so that we can continue to improve the service offer.

Thanks again for sharing your findings with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Stevenage in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I have stayed in the Holiday Inn Stevenage on several occasions over the last three months, of which the first trip was the only one without problems.

My most recent trip was marred by another sick attempt to extort more money from the paying guest as possible - that is the issue I have with this hotel - it's value for money should be taken at surface value.

We were welcomed by a young Afro-Caribbean lady at reception who followed the Holiday Inn Receptionists Training script to the word, unaware that her constant repetition was infuriating my girlfriend and I as she tried to extort more money out of our pockets.

We were informed that we would have to pay £25 for the use of the car park for 2 nights, a annoying dent in the wallet considering 3 weeks earlier we had been allowed to park there for a nominal fee.

I questioned the nature of this covert parking scam and she insisted it is made very clear on the website (which it clearly isn't) ...Zero sense of customer empathy, I then asked why we were able to pay a fee before, and she suggested that we "upgrade" to an executive room (£25 for the luxury of a Fridge and a parking spot) ..

So once again, I questioned why only 3 weeks ago we had been allowed to park without an executive room. She then claimed the hotel was "Very busy, and upgrading to a executive room is the only way" to get parking. Why then was she claiming the hotel was busy, but there was enough room to extort £25 for the privilege of parking.

It's disgusting really as the receptionist the next day gave conflicting information on how parking across in the pay and display car parked worked, claiming the hotel would cover the costs per day up to £3.40. (which later turned out to be a lie)...Its just frustrating, as other reviewers have said, the scummy subway I'm sure creates the impression the hotel wants as their guests meander away from the streams of urine clogging the underpass courtesy of Stevenages' finest chavs.

Our stay was further marred on the second night with an extremely loud wedding party. Being on the 3rd floor was not enough to dampen the noise of the music, coupled with the constant screaming voices of under aged girls and their suitor's as they smoke outside of the main entrance, the paper thin windows really have no chance at keeping out the noise.

Our corridor was filled with the smoke of said guests smoking in the room next to ours, and by 1.30AM, when the noise from next door's antics got too much, I complained to reception. Here is were the positives start.

I cannot remember the gentleman's name on reception but he was very helpful and after a further call moved us to one of the "executive rooms" they were trying to backhandedly sell us in the first place. Ironic.

Room Tip: Avoid if you hate parking rip offs.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ZackoNotts
HI_Stevenage_Res, Manager at Holiday Inn Stevenage, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Dear Guest

I was sorry to learn your recent experience of Holiday Inn Stevenage last month failed to meet your expectations and that your stay was marred by the car parking arrangements at the hotel.

Our hotel offers 18 car parking spaces on site along with 5 further spaces dedicated for Blue badge holders. In order to be fair to all our guest's it was decided that the car parking spaces would be reserved for those guests staying in Executive rooms, as we also have 18 of these. Therefore, those guests either upgrading to an Executive room enjoy a higher specification bedroom, bathrobes, minibar, comp;limentary internet access and on site parking as part of the package. Alternatively, our guests can park in either of the car parks adjacent to the hotel and benefit from a discounted cost of £3.50 per exit. I am sorry if these arrangements were not made clear at Reception and I have shared your feedback with them to ensure similar incidents are avoided.

I understand your stay was further marred by the noise and behaviour of other guests staying at the hotel. Whilst we have no direct control over this the team are trained to ensure such incidents are dealt with in a professional manner. I was pleased this was dealt with in a positive manner and that this was resolved at the time by upgrading you to an Executive room.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attentions.

Yours sincerely