“Fairly Standard”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Fairly Standard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The lobby / bar / resturant look recently refurbished or just kept very well.

The rooms were not quite the same, they were clean and spacious but the decorating does seem a little dated.
The room had a bath / shower with the toilet in a seperate room.
The was a 32" flat screen tv with plenty or tv and radio but no facility to plug a laptop or tablet in via hdmi which is annoying.

Cannot comment on the resturant as it was quite expensive so we ate dinner / breakfast out everyday. Beer was good tho.

Staff were very friendly and happy to help with anything. I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
General-Manager0992, General Manager at Novotel Stevenage, responded to this review, 27 August 2014

I am extremely pleased to hear that you were so happy with your stay and hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Stevenage very soon.

Kind regards,

Eric-Enno Snel, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Varnamo, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in many Novotels worldwide but I must say that this is one of the worst one I could remember. The room was smelly, window was not able to open and bad ventilation, bed was too soft and with synthetic pillow.

If you are traveling to Stanstead airport, please plan for at least 1 hour and 15 minutes on normal day time driving.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
As of 21st August 2014, Fairview Hotels have taken ownership of Novotel Stevenage.

We have plans for a major refurbishment for the hotel which we hope to commence very shortly, which will bring the hotel up to date and provide the standards commensurate with a modern 4 star hotel.

The works will include a complete strip out and refurbishment of all 101 bedrooms and bathrooms. The finished product will be a modern contemporary one with air-conditioning in all bedrooms.

Kind regards

Eric-Enno Snel , General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Stevenage hotels

Portadown, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

hotel facilities good with good evening meal land excellent breakfast, but ohhh the price of a drink - horrendous. The hotel is on the outskirts of Stevenage so you are a prisoner as far as getting any entertainment especially if you like a drink. I have stayed in Novotels on the Continent and this one is typical but at least the others were in the town centre where there was something to do in the evening.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom430
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your recent event at Novotel Stevenage. I am extremely pleased to hear that you were so happy with Breakfast, Dinner and the the staff who were looking after you.

However, I am very sorry to hear that you were so disappointed by the price of the drinks. But I think £3.60 for a pint and £3.75 for a spirit is a fair price.

Kind regards

Eric-Enno Snel, General Manager.
Horsham, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Similar to other recent reviews, we stayed at the Stevenage Novotel for 3 nights as part of a concert festival package. Because the price was all-in, I am not exactly sure what we paid for the hotel itself. After coming directly from a nice hotel in London, the Novotel room was disappointing. We are easy-going travelers, and made the best of it, but the only thing I could compare the room to is a college dormitory. The hotel, both from the outside and the common areas, appears to be updated. The rooms were far from it. The carpets were stained and the furniture and walls were in rough shape. We had similar issues to another reviewer with the toilet flushing, and found it very odd to have such a loud speaker for the television in the sink/shower area. There was no AC, but it is pretty clear that it rarely gets warm enough there at night for it to be a problem. The breakfast was also not very good, and many items were not replenished quick enough. If you are looking for a room with no frills and unconcerned about comfort, this would suffice. Other than the location next to Knebworth Park, there is not much to offer here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for letting us know your thoughts, and rest assured we will look into this matter.

With kind regards,

Eric-Enno Snel, General Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I was a couple of hours early arriving but they still let me in. I had a queen sized room to myself. The bed was lovely and soft. The tea and coffee making facilities were oddly placed on very high up shelf. I had pizza in the hotel bar/restaurant for tea. It was ok but they had used tomato purée for the base not something I would expect when eating out, even at a hotel. I don't know what cheese they had used but the cheese was not properly cooked, it was just melted and that was it. It was swimming in fat too.

• Stayed July 2014
General-Manager0992, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Stevenage, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to share your review. I am very pleased to hear that overall your experience was a positive one. However I am very sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with the pizza you ordered. I can assure you that the Head Chef has investigated the matter, and will be organising retraining and other actions as necesarry to prevent such problems in the future. Once again, thank you for your review, this type of feedback is invaluable to us as we strive to deliver a superior service experience for every guest. I hope you will return to Novote Stevenage in the future and give us the opportunity to provide you with a genuinely hassle-free stay. Kind regards. Katie Apps, Guest Service Manager
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Terrible stay,the front desk staff were terrible, we had booked 3 nights for a festival and I phoned hotel to add 4th night so no rushing about on the Friday morning I was told at the time if booking that there was no problem.
When we got to hotel staff told us we would need to check out after first night and change room for the rest of our stay.we were going to festival in the morning and this wouldn't suit.the front desk staff were adamant this had to be done I wasn't going to budge and after 20 mins she decided that she could help.terrible service.
Next up the bed it was rock solid and my wife or me couldn't sleep on it we ended up using the fold out bed for the 4 nights.
There was spiders webs down the side of the bed.
The toilet did not work and the only way of getting it to flush was using a pumping kind of action to get some water flowing.
The breakfast was dried up bacon all dry and scrambled egg was discussing.
I could go on but no point.i used to use novotel all the time but after last 2 times stevenage and Edinburgh I will never use again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels

1 Thank Gibby_nikki
Please accept our apologies and be assured that we are looking into the matter. Please give me a call to discuss things at your convenience.

Kind regards,

Eric-Enno Snel, General manager
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel is in a great location not too far away from London without paying London prices. Great for business travellers. Great breakfast for those who like a good meal at the start of the day. Bedrooms are clean and were comfortable

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you found the location and the transport links to London convenient, and that you felt your stay represented good value for money. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the breakfast and room cleanliness, I will be sure to share this with team. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you at Novotel Stevenage in the future. Kind regards. Katie Apps, Guest Service Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenage
Holiday Inn Express Stevenage
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,202 reviews

Been to Novotel Stevenage? Share your experiences!