“Just Average”

Novotel Stevenage
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Reasonably situated off the A1 and handy for a short stay and its decent value, rooms are a bit dated but just about ok and service is satisfactory, big bonus is a large free car . Struggle for a consistent mobile signal is very noticeable. I didnt dine here as the menu looked far too expensive for what it was, cant understand why these chains arent more competitive on food and drink! Overall its just average-nothing more.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
General-Manager0992, General Manager at Novotel Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

I’m pleased that you had a good stay. Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Stevenage very soon.

Eric-Enno Snel

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have recently visited this hotel, staying for just 1 night, if we had stayed any longer we would have moved hotels, we had a family room with 1 double bed and 2 put me up beds, all were very uncomfortable, the mattress on the double bed, including the bed were very worn, which is an understatement , the room needed a good make over, the toilet was separate from the bathroom, in a room on its own were the automatic fan did not work so made the room smell, the lighting was poor, not very healthy at all with having 2 small children with us, shame as we have stayed at other novotels before no where near the standard of them, definitely would not recommend.

Room Tip: Going by our family room wouldn't recommend a room there
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue. We are starting a full refurbishment before the end of the year.

Please feel free to call me on 01438 346 100 or email me on H0992-GM@accor.com to discuss further.

Eric-Enno Snel, General Manager

Reviewed 15 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We have used this hotel a few times-it is great to take the dog when we travel to London, and it is (or was) basically, a clean place with OK food. Last weekend was a nightmare. I was still awake at 3.30am due to a party of noisy kids who were drunk and racing around banging on doors and party-ing in each others rooms (most of them on our top corridor unfortunately) I had to complain to the night porter who was too busy watching his TV to have noticed the hotel was being ransacked! He did tell them about my complaint by giving them my room number-which they then shouted loudly to each other (so much for considering the safety of women)

When we got back to our room the following day-the whole room stank of urine (NOT OURS !!)presumably from the cleaners mop after slopping out all aformentioned clients bathrooms. The rooms along the corridors on the second floor are far too hot in summer, and without air conditioning, so leaving the window open means you get all the noise from the A1.

Room Tip: Ground floor parallel to the reception area.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

As of 21st August 2014, Fairview Hotels have taken ownership of Novotel Stevenage.

We have plans for a major refurbishment for the hotel which we hope to commence very shortly, which will bring the hotel up to date and provide the standards commensurate with a modern 4 star hotel.

The works will include a complete strip out and refurbishment of all 101 bedrooms and bathrooms. The finished product will be a modern contemporary one with air-conditioning in all bedrooms.

Eric-Enno Snel , General Manager

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I thought the Novotel would be a step up from Premier, but in fact it was a step down! I could not understand the Receptionist when we were trying to book in and when she eventually gave us our door key, she waved us off and said our room was 'down there', didn't explain that it was 'down there' and up the stairs at the end of the corridor which looked like the tradesmans entrance! the room was very basic, clearly needs a complete refurb (I can't even remember when anyone had this type of furniture!), the toilet smelt and the pillows smelt which I only noticed when I went to bed! The bed, however, was very comfortable! The room was very hot and so we left the window open all night which meant we heard all the planes going over and the early morning staff shouting out to each other outside! We had a drink in the bar that evening and the beer was flat and warm, any we were told that's all there is! Breakfast, however, was amazing!! Very good and the breakfast staff were very helpful and looked after us very well! We were only here for one night, didn't seem worth complaining at the time as we had a family wedding to go too and didn't have the time. I will be writing to the Novotel and certainly wont be staying here again.

Room Tip: Not sure there are any 'good rooms'.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your stay at Novotel Stevenage. I am extremely pleased to hear that you were so happy with the staff who were looking after you as well as the breakfast

Eric-Enno Snel , General Manager

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is a good place to stay, easy to find and conveniently located. The two rooms I stayed in were clean and spacious and the food is fine, although typically expensive hotel food. There was no air conditioning but a fan was provided. There was no signal for my phone or my dongle but free wifi was provided. I had to go outside to make a phone call, but I would be happy to return for a short stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a signal if you want to use your mobile phone in your bedroom.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Novotel Stevenage. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Eric-Enno Snel, General Manager

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Dog friendly hotel with lovely spacious rooms. A warm welcome on arrival and my room changed cheerfully to one away from the main motorway. A large grassy area at the back with rabbits laid on. Outstanding service at the bar where your meal could be ordered and eaten in the large lounge area or served outside at tables shaded by wonderful enormous parasols. Manu and Crystal deserve a huge commendation for excellent service. Toast and coffee could also be served outside for breakfast but there was a restaurant if guests so wished. I searched for local dog-friendly restaurants but the service and food were so good that I always entertained friends at the hotel. Through your bedroom room was a corridor with plenty hanging space for clothes and storage for cases whilst your bathroom with shower over bath and separate toilet were opposite before entering the enormous bedroom. Next year the hotel plans to instal aircon but each room had a fan. Minor negatives: hairdryer miles from the dressing table mirror; mobile signal poor; separate loo could still use a tiny hand basin. Very pleasantly surprised by this hotel and wish I'd found it the last time I visited family in Stevenage. The hotel is at the junction of the main motorway and less than 10 minutes to the centre of town. Plenty of parking. I hired a car from a firm 5 minutes away who are happy to pick up and drop off.

Room Tip: Away from the road.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ruth R

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Kind regards

Eric-Enno Snel, General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenage
1 mi away
#10 of 11 in Stevenage
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth

Been to Novotel Stevenage? Share your experiences!