“Great location & perfectly adequate”

Cromwell Hotel Stevenage
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Great location & perfectly adequate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Positives & negatives to this hotel I've been using for business during the working week. I've been getting a room just up from reception at back of hotel. Very quiet except taxi rank at back - the cabbies talk loudly till 3 am & then again from 6 am & as no AC had to sleep with window open. Room always cleaned to high standard. Only snag is shower isn't that powerful & with the hard water it is difficult to get hair clean & rinsed properly. I live in Yorkshire sakes where the water is lovely and soft. I recommend bringing bottled water for the kettle so your hot drinks don't have a scum. I had one breakfast which was ok. Service at reception is variable but always polite. Great location & good parking. Stevenage has a real shortage of good business hotels & I think this one is the best of the bunch but not luxury at all.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Lilburn, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed here for a half a week business trip. I stayed in one of their economy rooms so I did get what I paid for. Being an economy room it was all the way in the back through a maze of hallways and stairs. One of the local businesses had some generator buzzing sound going off sporadically most of the night. But I didn't find it was loud enough to prevent me from sleeping. If your very sensitive to sound you may consider looking elsewhere. T

This being my first hotel stay in Britain there were a couple surprises. I don't know if this is traditional there or not, but the bed had no top sheet, but instead a covered comforter. For summer sleeping I found this a bit too warm. There is also no AC, which in the mild climate I can understand; except opening the window for "fresh air" often meant breathing some outdoor smokers second hand smoke. I had a ground floor, so this was more of a problem for me than if someone perhaps got an upper floor.

For an extra 10 pounds a night you get an all you can eat breakfast. This is the usual continental breakfast of cereals, muffins, and fruit; but also includes a menu of with a cooked hot breakfast.

Overall, the hotel didn't blow me away but I did not find it unpleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Norfolk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Returned here after many many years to break a journey up . It happened to be valentines night. Wonderful warm reception , was even treated by a member of staff from the bar when he passed through . Good start. Lovely oldy world feeling . Room 105 . Poor . No window. No heating in bathroom. No bedside table on left side. Weak wi fi signal. Good size tele. Great parking. We were offered the valentine menu but was extremely overpriced so decided to battle the elements and found a brilliant Indian in town. Returned to hotel for a drink in the bar just after 10 hoping to find a roaring fire ,cosy and warm . No fire, no music a couple of couples sitting obviously after their romantic meal . Very disappointed with ambience so went back to room .

Room Tip: Not 105 no window
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PowerView

Travellers are raving about these Stevenage hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here as part of the Sonisphere Rock Royalty package and thought the hotel was very nice. There were a couple of issues checking in, as the hotel hadn’t been told about the 12pm check in time we'd been given, and so weren’t expecting us until later. That wasn’t their fault though, more a communication problem by Sonisphere. Which may have been because of the change in ownership in the hotel after the tickets went on sale.

Anyway, we didn’t have to wait too long for a room and they did change the room for us when we realized we were on the ground floor overlooking the car park. We moved to a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the High Street, having been warned it might be noisy at night, which it was a little after pub/club kicking out time, but not enough to bother us and anyway we only heard it as we were getting in at 2am too… However if you're a light sleeper you might want to bring ear plugs or ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

Also worth noting that rooms starting with 300 are in a wing at the back of the hotel which requires you to go upstairs, through a maze of corridors and then (certainly for some of the rooms) back downstairs again. If you have a ground floor room there, it's easier to send one person on the trek to open the room and then the patio door into the car park and take the luggage in that way rather than dragging your luggage up and down the stairs and through all the corridors.

The room we had at the front was very smart and well decorated, I think one of the refurbished ones, a little smaller than you might get in some bigger chain hotels, but perfectly fine for a place to crash after a long day. I liked it better than the one at the back, even though the one at the back was bigger.

The breakfasts were laid on buffet style in one of the banqueting suites for us, I suspect that was done as part of the package we were on rather than being the normal way of doing breakfasts as we had large tables to share, rather than ones for individual parties. It worked well though and the food was hot and plentiful, though we did run them out of hash browns on Monday morning. The potato croquettes served as a replacement item were still good though. The hot food was limited to sausage, bacon, tomatoes, beans scrambled eggs and hash browns. Fried eggs and mushrooms would have been a nice addition, and if I’m getting really greedy, black pudding and fried bread, but we coped without them :-) They had all the other items you would expect to find too, such as cereals, pastries, toast, fruit juices and tea and coffee. It wasn't the most luxurious breakfast ever, more a basic breakfast spread, but it did the job nicely and filled us up.

I’m not sure if I’ll ever need to stay in Stevenage again, but if I did I’d certainly consider staying here again. The staff were helpful and friendly, the hotel was clean, the breakfast was nice and the bed was comfortable, which pretty much covers what I look for in a standard hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be noisy, if this is going to bother you change to a room at the back or brin...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel front is a half-timbered delight but it's in need of a revamp inside, from tired beds to ancient computer systems. These slow down the reception desk, so if you are looking for an express service try one of the many box-style budget hotels nearby.

Great location on the historic Stevenage high street and plenty of parking.

Stayed July 2014
Cologne, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed one night from 19th to 20th June when visiting a befriended couple living in walking distance - my friend who booked me in already complained by email - due to business committments I was not able to comment before!! Single room was ok, but situation at night time on my corridor - next doors 112 and 110 was unbearable! In can and want to confirm only what my friend already wrote. Some young couples staying on my floor/corridor came to their rooms at about 1:30 at night, drunken and started to laugh, party, scream on the corridor and in their rooms, all doors opened. I stepped out of my room in my pyjamas, asking them friendly to be quiet and to close doors - but they wouldn't stop being extremly noisy. After an hour they disappeared in their rooms, closed doors, but continued being so loud and were having sex in a very noisy manner (screaming around like mad) till 6 am in the morning. I couldn't sleep at all and got up at that time to walk around Stevenage high street!! I had this hotel in good memory from old times (in the 1970's) as I came to Stevenage since my early childhood. I cannot understand how people can behave like this, being ignorant and not bothering at all about others.
However I wonder why I was given that single room next to a group of youngsters - the hotel was not booked out - there would have certainly been other vacant rooms.

The next disappointment was the breakfast (room) all chairs had marks on them, it was not possible to find a clean one. Apart from that, the stuffing came out of all chairs. Furthermore there was not one single slice of cheese available (for which I asked for) which is an absolute "no-go" for a reputable hotel like that one!

I ask myself how people can order a wedding reception at that hotel!

Next time I come to Stevenage I will definitely stay in a different place - the rate of more than 70 pounds is too high for the standard offered.

Room Tip: Obviously some travellers were satisfied - maybe I was only unlucky due to the strange guests stayin...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank s_a_schneider
Hampshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Poor breakfast for an incredibly high price. Sufficient place to sleep while away with work and good use of conference rooms at a price.
Shower flooded the en-suit every time in the room I was given but requested a room transfer and the facilities where better.
The staff were all very friends and accommodating and the in house bar and restaurant was good too.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business