“Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
London, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel due to family visit in Stevenage, Great location, Friendly staff at the bar. Would stay there again. The hotel is very close to shops and the old town where there are few pubs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marvin J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was my second visit to this hotel for the occasion of Rock Festival in Knebworth, staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good, room was a good size with fridge and bed very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank yamahuriK
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel is sited right on the edge of old town Stevenage and the Newtown of Stevenage. It is a real shame that my review won't be great. The building has great onsite parking and easily accessed of the main road. Form the outside the building looks in great condition and is finished in nice brick. The hotel has a small garden outside of the annexe building with a lovely mature walnut tree and pond with koi carp swimming happily away.
Reception decor gives a rustic impression but that nice image is ruined by poor service. It is my understanding that the proprietor is on her own at the moment due to staff illness or maternity leave...and the owner seems to be struggling with running the reception. You have to dial 200 to beckon her from wherever... On arrival we were faced with a very irate customer who was disputing his booking arrangements with the owner...upshot was that he was not given a room due to so,e error...even though he showed his booking confirmation. Again I truly think this is due to the lady being under pressure and not familiar with her computer booking system. My heart really went out to this guy as we know there was nowhere left in Stevenage because of the rock festival " Sonisphere" which was awesome ..Iron Maiden, Metallica, Blaas of Glory , Dropkick Murphy's , Anti Flag and Anti Nowhere League...you damn well rock.

We were given our room in the annexe next to the hotel. Our room had been cleaned to the extent of being hoovered and bathroom cleaned but the dust on top of the headboard was shocking. This is a cleaning staff issue and they are exacerbating the hotels problems. They are being paid for being lazy and doing the hotel a disservice. Further to this...not once did the maid service our room. We had to go and ask for towels all three days we stayed. Good job we brought our own toiletries. The room furniture and decor is mid to late eighties and not off putting but badly needs redecorated etc.

It's a real shame about the service and decor as this hotel is only 5 minutes walk form the new town shops , large tesco and railway station ...and no need to cross a road to get there because of Stevenage's cycle and walking paths. The old town high street is only 30 seconds from the hotel...it' really has best of both worlds....perhaps this hotel would be a great buy for a hotelier with vision...I would stay again under new management and after refurb

Room Tip: The rear rooms get disturbed by someone's cockerel ...unbelievable but true
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Stevenage hotels

Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This was the worse hotel experience I've had in a long while. I was greeted at reception with a telephone and a notice to dial 200 not one scrap of information or customer service given during the whole visit. Breakfast was a farce, my colleagues and I had to get our plates and cutlery from other tables in an unmanned dining area, collecting from uncleared empty tables, when someone came to see if we wanted any cooked food he disappeared again when we said we didn't. One yoghurt, no orange juice or glasses - help yourself to nothing! The rooms were inconsistent with two of us having a fridge and bathroom toiletries and mine had nothing! Cleanliness was good. CCTV in all areas, slow working sensor lights along the hallways and up the stairs and luckily I was given the heads up by another customer that the room door had to be locked manually when you left (or if you didn't want unwelcome visitors at night) needless to say I will not be returning!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Whilst visiting relatives we decided to stay at The Gate Hotel for a couple of nights.

Our stay was enjoyable and hotel is in a very convenient location.

The room was very clean and the staff were friendly.

Lovely breakfast which included eggs fresh from the hens which are kept by the owner.

Near Stevenage old town with its little shops - worth a visit and only a few minutes walk to the shopping centre and Tesco superstore.

Great base for visiting London, train station is less than 10 minutes walk.

Will certainly be back next time we are visiting in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights this weekend. While the bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean, it was very hot in the room (either you close the blackout curtains and therefore block out all air, or get woken up by the light at 5am) - also there was a ROOSTER in the yard outside which was cock-a-doodle-dooing every hour, from 5am!!
The shower was barely a dribble, and the water temperature took a long time to settle.
It also took a very long time to get checked in as the lady kept getting confused about who had booked which room (I was with my family and we had booked 3 rooms between us.) Despite my paying extra for a double room for two people, my sister's double room for 1 person was identical and had a mini fridge- although we found an ancient bag of takeaway chips in the freezer compartment so it's just as well my room didn't have one! (Who knows how long those chips had been hidden there?!)

All in all, this hotel is fine if you're just going to stumble straight into bed...just make sure you request a room that us far away from the rooster.

• Stayed June 2014
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Booked a single room over the phone for a price of £49.00 only to arrive half hour later to be told that there were no single rooms available even though I had given my card details and that I would have to upgrade to a double room for an extra £20.00! Was tired after a days travelling so accepted it but felt ripped off as it was only half hour earlier that I had booked the room. Time was approx 9pm and no bar food available so I just put it down to a bad experience and that I would not stay there again. It got worse after checking my bank statement two days later to find that they had also taken an additional £85.00 from my card which turned out after numerous conversations with an unhelpful lady that I had paid for someone else's room! Finally got refunded the £85.00 1 week later after numerous e mails and phone calls with no apology. I fully appreciate that mistakes can happen but the service to rectify the problem was appalling

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business