“It was just okay...”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“It was just okay...”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here for 1 night when travelling on business. The decor was great, which I expected after them just having a refurbishment. It was brilliantly close to Stevenage train station and opposite Tesco so great for a late night snack. The room was beautiful, clean and had all the amenities you would expect from a modern hotel. Most of the staff were really friendly too. Only had a couple of issues whilst there... The walls were very thin which meant I could hear everything from the rooms next to me which meant I didn't get a great night's sleep. Upon check-in I wasn't told that if my roomkey was kept near my mobile it would deactivate so had to go up and back down (mildly inconvenient) and I wasn't overwhelmed by breakfast either, it was bland and uninteresting.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ruslana Y, General Manager at Ibis Stevenage Centre, responded to this review, 4 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

I am pleased you liked the refurbishment and found the room modern and comfortable.

I can only apologies for any noise distrubances - please if you stay again report to reception and we will ensure it is dealt with.

I will speak with reception team and ask them to notify guests of the key card problem.

I am disappointed with your breakfast experience as we normally receive good feedback - will look into this.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you don't have to interact with the staff at all it will be an ok place to stay, the place looks like an ex-council flat, there's no parking and no gym, but the rooms are ok and personally for me air-con is biggie and the room has a pretty good air-con.

But the staff are just plain rude, in my 5 days here I don't think I heard any pleasantries at all, simple thank you, please, welcome, good morning, none;, the best is in the morning when you go for breakfast, the only thing they have ever said me to was "have you signed in", yes then they just turn round and walk away, all in all, just really un-welcoming.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

I am disappointed that you thought the staff were rude, we pride ourselves in the service we deliver and I receive a high level of compliments due to the customer service.

We do actually have someone with disabilities who works with us at breakfast time and that sounds like something he would have said.

I cannot express enough how disappointed I am and I will speak with the team as this is totally out of character.

Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Stevenage hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Hi everyone. If you guys looking for a reliable, cost effective, outstanding servuce in a beautiful city then you are on a right track by thinking about selecting ibis. I hvave been staying with ibis on a regular basis since 7 week's and I am happy to say that overall experience has been fabulousI can rrecommend anyone without having a second thought. Enjoy your every minute of your stay.
Max

• Stayed June 2014
Ruslana Y, General Manager at Ibis Stevenage Centre, responded to this review, 30 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

I am pleased that your stay always meets expectations and that as a result you have become a regular guest.

We thank you for your loyalty and look forward to seeing you again.

Beijing, China
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed for one night whilst visiting friends nearby. Centrally located, only five minutes walk from the station. Receptionist was courteous and helpful, room was clean, spacious and noise-free - I had to make some adjustments to my booking the next morning and it was handled professionally and hassle-free so I'm perfectly delighted with my stay and will come again. Top marks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

I am pleaed that you enjoyed your stay and would return when in the area.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Hotel is okay provided you are only looking for something fairly cheap and do not expect quality. The staff are very friendly and polite. The room I was in (506), was fairly compact. Small wardrobe section behind door, bed with 2 bedside lights, table/seat area under window. Bathroom again is small/compact. They wanted to squeeze as much as possible into the space they had which means if your sitting on the loo your leg is touching the glass side of the shower there is no room to spare at all. There were tiles missing above the bathroom window, the mirror light did not work. Shower pressure was poor and only had 2 temperatures warm or cold!. The basin tap was around the wrong way, so hot was actually cold and vice versa. The bedroom floor was dirty, walking around bare foot my feet turned black! The bed mattress would of been great if it was not 2 singles pushed together, so if you tend to sleep in the middle of the bed as i do you end up with a ridge where the mattresses meet, and they can and did move apart as the 2 bed sections were not connected up. The 24/7 food/drink was convenient, but £4.50 for a grated cheese sandwich was extortionate pricing when there was hardly any cheese in it and it was mild cheese so tasted like rubber! Air conditioning/heating in the room was noisy and made audible noises most of the night switching on/off which meant it was not a peaceful or restful nights sleep. The morning breakfast was slightly better, buffet style cooked and continental, but would of preferred the hash browns to be crispy on the outside not hot and soggy. NOTE: There is no car parking available with the hotel, you have to use the Stevenage council car parks. The closest is the Westgate centre multistorey. It is £7 over 7 hours stay and if you are staying overnight 7pm-7am its £1.60. I parked there from 2pm till 10am the next morning and it cost £8.60 in total. All in all, I do not think I will be staying here again, there were so many little things that were too small to bother complaining about, but all combined detracted from the stay and made it all the more appealing to get home quickly.

Room Tip: There are 6 floors in total, ground floor is restaurant and reception. First floor does not exist, t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

I am disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet expectations and that you would not be returning.
The hotel was originally built in 1972 and wasn't refurbished until 2011, the refurbishment brought the hotel upto standards and modern contempary, I have raised the issues you faced with both housekeeping and maintenance as that is unacceptable.
I will also speak with the Food and Beverage supervisor regarding the qaulity of the sandwich and will also speak with the person who prepared it.
It is stated on our website that parking is public and located near by, the hotel offers a validation of £4 per exit, so it can be cheaper to pay direct or with us.
I hope that you would try us again and put this down to a one off.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

stayed on business and what you would expect from a budget hotel. It did what it claimed on the tin. right next to the bus station and 24 hour tesco so easy to find. Parking minutes away in the shopping centre multi storey next to the hotel.They do basic meals and to be fair ok, decent and only a tenner. Room was clean and had all you needed for a stop over.checkin and out was fine on my visit. It was a bit of a builders hotel with groups of workmen and women but all well behaved.
bed was comfy and fairly quiet nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ruslana Y, General Manager at Ibis Stevenage Centre, responded to this review, 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

I am pleased that your stay met expectations and that you had a nice quiet nights sleep.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Hannah Chapman