“Great value”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Canberra, Australia
“Great value”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel has surprised me - it is as good as others have written.
Effectively a large English house that has licenced bar in the front room and a large dining room behind it. It sits in a row of similar houses and thankfully there is a large sign at front fence that makes it easier to find.
There is plenty of parking at the rear.
The staircases are typical English narrow and steep. Small luggage is recommended.
My queen bed room has separate rooms for shower and toilet, a good free secured wifi, coffee brewer etc.
I dined in house on a Yorkshire pudding style sausage and onion pie. It was good value.
This place is highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mal E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed here after making a booking for a friends birthday. The room was lovely and warm, very clean also and staff were very helpful and friendly! Would definitely recommend this hotel its a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Melissa22Norfolk
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night after making a last minute booking as I was attending a nearby football match. I often stay in local hotels as I support the local team but don't live nearby. I've never been here before but have already booked for the next time I'm visiting. From arrival I was warmly welcomed by the owner (Frank I think his name is) who opened up the bar just for me (my train journey had been awful) Everyone was very friendly and the rooms very comfortable. I much prefer this traditional hotel opposed to the characterless chain establishments elsewhere in the town. I very much look forward to coming back a week Saturday.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Arrived to a freezing cold room apparently because boiler was bust and being fixed next day - it wasnt! Eventually issued with electric fan heater which caused power to trip off! Still cold, but no-one really interested.
Highlight of third day was a very loud screaming match - heard all over 1st floor - with the contestants apparently the owner/manager and wife or significant other.
My cold room was cleanish but looked tatty with holes in wall and had no shower mat or drinking glass. Breakfast reasonable. Basic decent enough hotel let down by Fawlty Tower style episodes.

Stayed February 2014
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Conveniently situated to the centre of Stevenage Old Town, The Abbington offered a traditional homely hotel with a comfortable twin room with ensuite shower room.
The hotel was well heated and extremely quite. I only stayed one night but enjoyed the stay immensely. The breakfast was excellent. Parking was convenient.and free. The owners were away and the caretaker manager had not got access to the bar but had been completely up front with that on our arrival. I have only one minor criticism that the bath towel did not cater for those of us with a larger build and I believe though Monogrammed, I would have preferred a bath sheet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Colwyn Bay
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Clean, tidy hotel with welcoming staff. Good basic meal available quite late in the evening and a lovely breakfast. Late check in available. Easy to book. If you are a larger person it may pay to mention it as the ensuite in our room thou immaculatly clean was quite small. the room was a good size as was the bed. Good furnishings.

Room Tip: Limited outside space
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bbfoxgreen
Stonehouse, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We booked in for one night as we were attending a friend's wedding and didn't fancy the drive back to Gloucestershire the same day. On arrival we were taken round the back of the main hotel to an annexe where we were shown into our room. The room was large and contained a double bed and one single but the bathroom was little more than a cubby-hole, owing to the huge shower, and the floor of the bathroom was wet. We put it down to the room having just been cleaned. Apart from the amazingly hideous wardrobe there wasn't much else to see, the tea and coffee making facilities were clean and well stocked, but the bathroom sink was a bit too small to fill the kettle up more than a bit. We got changed and went out.
After we got back about half past midnight we went back to our room and there was the sound of a fire alarm bleeping and no power in the room at all. My husband had to go to reception and summon someone to come and look at it. The person that came along then had a heated, loud conversation via mobile with the owner who was on holiday! He was quite abrupt on the phone and whilst entertaining wasn't hugely professional. He managed to reset the breaker and the lights came back in, only to go off again about five minutes after he had left. Luckily my husband had watched the man reset the breaker and was able to do it himself. We had no problem with they power after that.
However the bathroom floor was still wet and we saw that it was caused by the toilet leaking. At this stage we were too tired to do anything about it and just went to bed. We reported it in the morning when we went for breakfast, which, I have to say, was excellent.
The staff were all very helpful and apologetic, but I think they should have known about the leaky toilet, especially as I was told that the annexe had only been refurbished a month ago!
I don't think our experience with the toilet and power is indicative but it did spoil our stay somewhat. I'd give the Abbington another try. I don't think my husband would though.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple