“Great budget hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Stevenage
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

This was a great budget place to stay. The room was clean and comfortable. Although some food was available it was Iimited in both choice and quality. The location is handy for the station and road network but restaurants require a walk or drive. The breakfast which was included in the price was excellent. Excellent value

1  Thank Pictonnz
Christian_Holfve, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for writing us a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel and the amenities on offer.
we look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Quick review:
Stayed here with my hubs and 3 kids after a day at Knebworth House. Had a room with double bed and sofa bed.

Negatives:
No car parking, there are 6 spaces or so, you have to park over the road in a retail park or short stay on a meter (but free Sundays), regular traffic warden patrols - be careful!
Dubious stains on carpet in room.
Only given enough towels for 2 people instead of 5.
Breakfast buffet was congested as people wait around for toast, area is too small, too few tables, scrambled egg was ridiculously salty and no fruit on offer ... and breakfast finishes at 9.30am (too early).
Shower hose kept falling out of shower head.

Positives:
Excellent town centre location.
Lovely bar/lounge area
Business facilities looked good
Breakfast included
We got a really good room rate
Better value than a Travelodge

(Stevenage town centre is horrid/rough)

• Stayed: April 2014
Christian_Holfve, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for reviewing your experience regarding your recent stay. It is unfortunate that this stay was a disappointment on several aspects I will review all you points with my team to improve our guest experience unfortunately as a town centre hotel it is very rare to have onsite car parking, however we have made the arrangements with the council to help better assist those with parking needs I am sorry this wasn't not communicated to you

Reviewed 26 April 2014

stayed for one night, nice hotel, very clean had previously asked for and been told id have a lower floor room but was told it was a top one.the receptionist was extremely helpful and managed to get us one on the first floor,went into the room and into the bathroom only to find someone elses things there..so then had to wait for another room.we were given a voucher for a free drink for the inconvenience. we were woken at 5a/m with the television blaring out music apparently this couldn't be explained as the remote control was the other side of the room on the wall...so room 211 must be haunted lol....breakfast was fine and we would stay again.but not in that room... have to say the staff were really nice and couldn't be more helpful.

Room Tip: beware room 211 !
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Christian_Holfve, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some comments and feedback, I am really happy to hear that you found your stay with us so enjoyable and that the staff made you feel welcome hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Dont be fooled by the offer of free breakfast and free wifi internet.

2nd and last time I will stay here (gave it the benefit of a second chance after the first stay)

The free breakfast offers hot (actually cold) sausage scrambled eggs and beans, wafer thin bread for toast that gets incinerated in the toaster, stale cereal, coffee isn't bad though.

Why bother offering free WiFi when it takes three days, on average, to load a simple web page and it isn't during peak demand times as its contently that slow 24/7.

Be careful which room you get, the ones opposite the lifts (on all floors) provide 24/7 lift announcements not welcome especially at 3am.

Parking is in the Matalan car park opposite which is also shared with the adjacent gym so good luck in finding a parking place between the ours of 6am - 9pm

Room Tip: Avoid any room near the lifts unless you like announcements every time the lift moves throughout th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank d7lindley

Thank you for reviewing your experience regarding your recent stay. It is unfortunate that this stay was a disappointment on several aspects I will bring these up with my team

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Upon arrival at around 7pm we thought that the place seemed decent. We checked in, the young lad on reception was helpful. Went to order from a set menu- thank god! I was starving. Options were very limited so being an allergy sufferer I could only eat what I knew. We asked the girl on reception what ingredients were in the main courses and she just looked blankly. So I opted for Garlic bread.
As we were a coach party we had a set time to eat at 830. Service was very slow, and at 930 we were still waiting for food to arrive. (I reccomend the hotel purchases an additional microwave) The waiting staff brought the meals out one at a time.
The meal was special- with the added ingredient of hair. Yum. As I was so hungry after my three bits of overcooked garlic bread, I had a twix from the vending machine.
We resided to our room eventually about 950pm. The room was of comfort and quiet. Bit of noise from the above room but this stopped after a few minutes.
Went for breakfast at 7am, service was much better (as it was self service) Yet another hair found on 'clean' plates.
More choice than dinner. However, no bacon. (If you struggle to find microwaveable bacon Holiday Inn Express I think Walls produce them)

So if you do wish to stop/are placed at HI Express Stevenage take a bit of extra cash as I believe there is a Weatherspoons around the corner.

• Stayed: April 2014
Christian_Holfve, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feed back in regards to your recent stay it is only with this feed back that we can improve the guest experience. I aploagise that your stay wasn't up to the high standards we set ourselves here at the Holiday Inn Express Stevenage I have taken all your comments on board and will action them immediately

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here last weekend and wanted to share our experience with you. Staff were very efficient and friendly. Room was up to par for Holiday Inn Express standards but bed seemed very small for two 'normal weight' people! Water in hot tap took about 5 minutes to warm up and as soon as you turned it off it went back to being cold and you had to start the warm up process all over again. Parking facilities in Matalan car park overnight were well publicised and very convenient. However, breakfast was a major disappointment. Coffee was 'undrinkable', if you had a cappuccino the milk content just disappeared and you were left with black coffee which tasted foul. Two other hotels in same chain we have been to served 'proper' coffee. Bread was so thin I don't know they managed to slice it and cooked breakfast was very disappointing. Didn't exactly spoil our stay but may influence our decision to stay in a Holiday Inn Express again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Christian_Holfve, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback and comments I very happy you found your stay and enjoyable one at that your room was to a high standard and that the staff were welcoming and friendly. I will action all point s you have raised
hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Haven't stayed here for a while but was looking forward to my return. Check-in remains very efficient and the rooms are exactly what you expect and entirely suitable. My room was starting to look dated and soon a refurb will be a requirement to keep up with the local compettition.

There is now a menu of fast food for the evening, before there were just take-away menus and the microwave for ready meals bought from the local tesco supermarket. A good idea, although I didn't use it.

However, this creates the problem - speed of service has gone from slow to unacceptable. The same staff man check-in as well as the bar and the food orders. I went to the bar and it took 17 minutes to order a beer and a further 8 minutes for it to arrive. Why, well food orders take time, there are people checking in etc.

It seems that there is management cost cutting and service exploitation - ie we provide food, but have not staffed for this.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with my team members who now stay in other local hotels (IBIS etc) - that the service is not acceptable.

I did leave my concerns and they promised to look into it and that it is a known problem. I shall stay again, but if this is not resolved, then I have no choice but to agree that the hotel is no longer fit for our purposes.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback from your recent stay with us it is only with this feedback that we can improve the service we offer
I have taken all your comments on board and have put together an action plan to improve in these areas
hope to see you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenage
#7 of 11 in Stevenage
#10 of 11 in Stevenage
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stevenage? Share your experiences!