“If nothing else is available”

Holiday Inn Express Stevenage
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Stevenage
San Diego, California
“If nothing else is available”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel itself from the outside is a typical Holiday Inn Express and the inside décor looks decent but the same as all the rest. Not a bad thing as you know what to expect.
However…there is no parking outside this hotel except for the metered spaces all around with a maximum of 30 minutes. They offer free parking at a shopping center across the street but that is only from 5 pm -9 am. The hotel does have 4 spaces ( 3 full and 1 disabled spaces at the end of the hotel and if you drive up the curb) but I never saw any space in these during my stay.
We were going to check in and then have something to eat in the bar prior to going out but was told that all they have is Pizza ..so we went outside to find somewhere in the car.
When we returned I asked for some towels for the room so that the three of us could take a shower but was told that there was none as there had been a problem with the delivery. The duty manager did tell me that he would try and find something. 45 minutes later he did turn up at our room with 1 bath towel and 2 hand towels. ( There were 3 of us in the room)
The room was small and very basic but as expected so no real issue with that.
The complimentary Wi-Fi was a joke and even a google page took several minutes to load. I found this to be the most frustrating especially with a teenage son with us.
Despite check out time being 11 am we were awoken by a loud knocking on the door at 9 am and were asked by the cleaning staff when we would be checking out and as we had only arrived on a red eye flight from the US the day before did not appreciate waking up that early.
Breakfast was OK but the food area was constantly missing plates, cups etc and was dirty. The food was acceptable but more staff are needed to keep up with the madness of the guests grabbing free food.
The checkout process was also painful as it took 20 minutes to complete the process even though there was only 2 people before me.
This overall was a very disappointing stay and will be added to my do not stay here again list.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Nigel A
Christian_Holfve, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
May I sincerely apologise for the fact that you have been given cause to contact us regarding your visit to the Holiday Inn Express Stevenage.

The quality of our service is of paramount importance to us and I was therefore very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction.
We pride ourselves on the standards of service we provide and on this occasion we have let you and ourselves down. I am extremely sorry that the quality of service you received was not to your satisfaction. I fully appreciate how upsetting this must have been for you.

I have discussed the issues you raised with my Team Members during our shift meeting and I have strongly reinforced the systems and procedures we have to avoid this happening again in the future

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience and upset caused. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Blandford, Dorset
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Why oh why do you not have an on site car park? Matalan car park is hardly secure. We have stayed at multiple Holiday Inn Express, so we knew not to expect too much at breakfast. But what was there, was horrid. Stale and cold, is the best description. Can't fault the staff, especially the young lady who helped us in with our luggage in the pouring rain.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank loftmeister
Christian_Holfve, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We do have parking at the hotel but it is limited we have an arrangement with Matalan where you can park from 5pm - 9am this is a secure car park witch has cctv 24 hours a day. We also have a NCP car park 100 yards from he hotel witch you can park in for £4 for a 24 hour stay

We hope to see you again soon
southampton
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed 2 nights while our daughter was in hospital. Lovely hotel, great room, very good breakfast and all clean and tidy. Free parking is only 5pm to 9am in Matalan carpark opposite.

But ... we were charged twice for our stay. We were refunded next day after I checked thoroughly that I had prepaid and told it was a new member of staff that day.

We were put in a disabled access room. I set off the alarm by the bed by mistake at 12.30am and the alarms and lights were going off in the room and the corridor. We didn't know how to turn it off. On going to reception for help, the guy there was eating and reading (fine) but wasn't aware an alarm was going off until he went into the office and said 'oh yes you have'. He then told us how to switch it off. I think the door to the office should be open and the staff aware of the alarms - if it was a real emergency nobody would have helped :(

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

At the Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.
Corrèze, Limousin, France
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The room was perfectly acceptable and comfortable. The breakfast was a little basic but fine for the money. The great bonus was the staff, who were all very friendly and helpful. Spent three nights and quite happy with our choice. Would happily stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DJCCorreze
Christian_Holfve, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest

I am pleased that my team looked after you during your stay. We look forward to see you back with us again in the not to distant future
Scunthorpe
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here as part of a coach tour and I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel itself is a little tired decoration-wise but the staff were very welcoming and helpful. They coped efficiently with a full bus load of passengers all wanting to check in at the same time. The room was clean, and the beds were extremely comfortable. We were on the third floor facing the back, so the view wasnt terrific, but at least the window opened. It was very quiet and we had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was good, there wasnt much choice, but what was there was tasty and there was plenty of it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Christian_Holfve, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Stevenage

I am pleased you found your room to be comfy and Quiet
We hope to see you again room
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night for a friends surprise party.
On arriving the front desk lady was great we had requested a top floor room but we had been given one on another floor but she changed it for us. Also she was very friendly and welcomed us. Her name was LUCY and we would like to thank her. The other lady that was on duty was also very friendly and very helpful booking taxi for us her name was EMILY would also like to thank her 2 very lovely staff to have.
The room was very clean and comfortable.
The breakfast in the morning was ok enough to get you started in the morning.
The only downside was the disabled parking there are only 6 places and they had all been taken but only 1 of the cars had a disabled badge which is a bit disappointing.

Room Tip: Always go for a top floor room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lulubones
Christian_Holfve, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
The quality of our service is of paramount importance to us and I was therefore very happy to learn of your satisfaction.
We pride ourselves on the standards of service we provide and on this occasion we have made sure you had a great stay.
I will mention Lucy and Emily in our team meeting and both shall be rewarded for their excellent customer service

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Braunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have recently stayed in the above hotel, and would like to pass on my experience.
the room, bed, duvet, pillows, shower and general cleanliness were all top notch, very impressed. also the cleaners were fast and efficient.
however, the breakfast buffet completely let the whole visit down.
the brochure says 'free' breakfast. obviously the costs are incorporated in the room prices, and I think the hotel would do much better just lowering the cost of the rooms, and charging for breakfast, if people want it.
the sausages were luke warm and poor quality, there wasn't any choice of eggs, or vegetables with hot breakfast. the crossants were stale, muffins inedible, bread for toasting too thin, and no trays, so you had to walk back and forth to collect your food and drinks. the coffee was amazing, and for me, made up for lack of food, but my family were not impressed. do yourself a favour, and just opt for outside brekky!
the card key is very sensitive too, so has to be re-programmed over and over again, allowing entry into your room!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Christian_Holfve, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stevenage, responded to this review, 24 July 2014

The quality of our food and service is of paramount importance to us and I was therefore very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction. We make every effort to ensure food is promptly delivered and at the correct temperature and quality, so that our guests can enjoy our food at its best.

We pride ourselves on the standards of food and service we provide and on this occasion we have let you and ourselves down. I am extremely sorry that the quality of service you received was not to your satisfaction. I fully appreciate how upsetting this must have been for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenage
#5 of 11 in Stevenage
#6 of 11 in Stevenage
Needham House Hotel
Needham House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Wymondley

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stevenage? Share your experiences!