“french cooking at it's best”

Isabel's Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 382 Restaurants in Poole
Price range: US$42 - US$92
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fine Dining Restaurant with romantic individual booths, private dining room, lounge bar serving cocktails and arbor with Bar de Jardin for outside dining. Catering for life's special occasions.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

From the outside Isabel's looks nothing special other than being an area that is known for its great bars and pubs. But get inside and be greeted by the manager. Its personal attention at it's best and cuisine to die for. Whilst I chose a delicious Onion Soup I am spoilt by what you get in the US with the cheese oozing over the side of the bowl. Even so it was very tasty. I chose the most tender of cod fillet for my mains and my dessert well that was something quite special ginger sponge pudding infused with Chilli

Reviewed 21 May 2014

A last minute decision to try Isabel's for dinner with my mother. She had last eaten there over 35 years ago and didn't have fond memories of the experience. She does now!! The whole ambience of the place takes you back to Georgian splendour with wooden booths and floral prints. A little dark, but the bright, warm welcome from the staff compensates many times over. Food was not overly complicated, cooked well and well presented. Portions were not meagre, either. The creamed parsnips especially were delicious. Great value for money wine list with plenty of variety, including a terrific selection of liqueurs and coffees. A very special pleasure which we will repeat.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We chose this restaurant to celebrate based on the reviews and to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were placed in one of the booths which are intimate and spacious for two. Having tried it a booth would not be our first choice again as we like a bit more visibility in a restaurant and they do have outer tables.

Good menu choice and generous portions especially the veg and potatoes. I think we counted 4 separate people serving us, we were not rushed and offered some time before taking dessert. All the staff were friendly.

Our food was very good (not exceptional) their signature dish chicken stuffed with banana was unusual and I would have it again. My husband had the sea bass with sweet chilli sauce, he thought there was a little too much sauce but it's down to personal taste.

There were a lot of regulars and they appeared to receive more attention (particularly from the slightly older lady, possible owner?) than new comers. We mentioned it was our first visit but there was not a lot of effort made to make conversation with us. We understand regulars are very important but a bit more effort to get to know all your customers is also important.

It is a quirky restaurant, the service is good and the food good but we would not rate it as exceptional as others have.

We had a pleasant evening and would return to Isabel's

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We haven't been for a while, best French onion soup ever!
Steaks to die for ...
Great customer service
A real gem in the heart if Ashley Cross.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Came with partner for his birthday, booked on a Wednesday night, fairly busy. staff very good we were moved to a nicer table (more romantic) by a chap who I think was the owner, great choice on 2 different menus, a little expensive but well worth it, lovely restaurant

1  Thank Rebecca S