“DIRTY FILTHY, NOISY AND DISGUSTING” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Branksome Railway Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poole
Branksome Railway Hotel
Ranked #45 of 52 Poole B&B and Inns
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“DIRTY FILTHY, NOISY AND DISGUSTING”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

I really would not leave my pet dog in this hotel room for one night, it was damp, smelly, run down, and above all else filthy, the sheets and curtains were stained and the hotel staff were not to be found. Everything in this room was neglected both cleaning wise and repair wise. We eventually got a refund through laterooms.com who we booked it with, but were told we would only get it after we agreed to not write a reveiw on Tripadvisor, guess what, qi dont respond well to blackmail, AVOID THIS HOTEL LIKE THE PLAGUE, Its just not worth it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

This hotel has it's good points and it's not so good points depending on who you are and why you are staying here. Some of the good points are; it is centrally located between Poole town centre and Bournemouth town centre on the main bus route and a 15 minute bus ride will have you in either town centre. Of course the downside is you are not in either town centre but on the main road between them so little by way of local ammenities bar a few take-a-ways and a bowling alley.

It is opposite a mainline railway station with easy connections to London, through the New Forest, Southampton, Winchester and Basingstoke. The other direction takes you straight through to Poole, Dorchester or Weymouth. Unfortunately the station is only accessable using stairs and isn't very inviting after dark so I wouldn't recommend heavy luggage, people with mobility problems or travel after dark.

The hotel is family run, the Dad seems to be an occasional odd-job man and the daughter actually manages the hotel and bar (when she's about that is). As previous reviewers have pointed out there is no real reception as such, booking in requires braving the locals in one of the two bars and joining the queue of those wanting drinks. This is very much a locals bar with the only real exception being long-stay building contractors who may frequent the bar Monday to Friday. Drinks are quite cheap for the area and the locals take full advantage of this.

Outside of the bedrooms the building and decor shows it's age as well as it's target market, it's rather dreary and aimed at the budget end of the budget market although this isn't totally reflected in the price. The bedrooms on the other hand have been refurbished since the 1970's and Sky TV is available.

The family employ their Alsatian dog for a bit of extra protection in the bars and unless you're a big fan of the breed it is possible to find the dog a bit intimidating but maybe not as intimidating as some of the drinkers.

I would recomend this hotel to any building contractor (they'll feel at home with most of the regulars in the bars) who needs to stay in the area, any train-spotters on a tight budget (the mainline goes past the car park and occassionally has a steam train running on it) and anyone looking for a bed for the night after attending the local beer festival in late October. I wouldn't recomend it to elderly couples or couples in general really, the stairs to the rooms are a challenge to the unfit and the locals are not really condusive to a romantic weekend.

It's more hostel than hotel

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are a bit quieter and stay out of the pub
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank headmixer

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked this place last minute for a morning meeting in Poole. The room was a decent size, sky tv, tea making facilities, big car park. The service was great and the breakfast was lovely. It's an old pub, not a new flashy concrete premier inn, ticked all of my boxes, great budget hotel. If i have any more meetings that way i would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Weymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I am writing this review purely to warn you all truthfully what this place is like, as if you are reading this you are contemplating staying here.
Upon my fiance and i arriving we walked into a dull dreary pub with no proper reception for the "hotel" and was starting to regret booking our accomodation here.
Entering the room i was pleasantly surprised to see a sky tv box .
My "things are looking up" attitude to this place rapidly changed as when i went to go for a shower the second i touched the dial on the shower the whole shower fell off of the wall, this was balanced on in a way that whomever cleaned the room must have known.
I decided to carry on and have a bath, time was running short as we had to get to my brothers wedding reception.
I half filled the bath with hot water , to then realise the cold water tap completely doesnt work!
Then to my joy had the resident k9 barking all night long, no sleep!
When i complained in the morning the manager came down to speak with me, as i explained that this was clearly not what was advertised on the internet and for fifty five pound i am not expecting five star, but would at least expect a wash and a sleep he replied with a series of grunts and a " i will get the landlady to ring you", unsurprisingly i am still waiting for this call!
So all i can say is , SHOCKING! Unfit to leat a racoon sleep in this place.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Phill G
Plymouth, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

I booked this for my boyfriend the night before my best friend's wedding. The reviews on Trip Advisor weren't too bad and it looked welcoming from the hotel's own website.

However, there were a few bits of the room and bathroom that could have been cleaner and actually had fully working lights!...despite having a SKY digibox in the room only 4 channels worked on the TV.
During the night the road right out side the hotel is busy with arctic lorries and after each one of those drove by the windows vibrated within their frames, so hardly got any sleep.
(was so bad at 4am towels were used to try and stop them from vibrating!)

Wouldnt recommend staying here...unless you dont want to sleep !!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank EmzFK
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Surprised by the previous review. I stayed here with my husband and friends, we had no complaints. We were actually pleasantly surprised by the size and cleanliness of our room for what we paid and the ensuite also a good size. Was nice to see they provide shampoo, coffee and biscuits as don't even get this at some more expensive hotels.

We stayed at the front of the hotel so could here a bit of traffic noise. nothing too bad, our friends stayed at the back which was nice and quiet.

We got the train down which was conveniently outside the hotel and they have a car park that our friends used. It's in a good location between Poole and Bournemouth so we could easily get into Bournemouth town centre one night and drove to Sandbanks beach the following morning.

We booked breakfast for both days, glad we did as it was very good.

This is a small hotel that I would recommend. If you are expecting an immaculate hotel then go to one of the chains, if you just want a clean room at a good price then come here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Beth98
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

I stayed here with a group of girls, when we arrived we had the delight of using the car park, located at the back. This gave us a wonderful view of The Branksome Railway Hotel from behind the building, dirty and grubby with guests hanging out the windows shouting and smoking! When we entered the 'hotel' (laughable that they actually call it this), we entered what can only be considered a 'working men's social club' environment, it smelt, it was cold, drab and filthy. The reception staff / bar man, looked like he'd been put there by accident and was virtually clueless. After being harassed by the local drunks, who volunteered the information that they wouldn't follow me to my room, how reassuring! I climbed the stairs to the top, giving me the opportunity to look at every single dirty, hair-ridden stair in the building. When I arrived at the top, I entered my room, sorry, that should be storage cupboard - It was so small, and yet a double for two people, that we literally couldn't stand up at the same time! The bathroom was clean, as too were the sheets, but the broken smoke detector hanging of the wall, and the slimy dated curtains proved that if you looked a little bit closer cleanliness wasn't a strong point. The only saving grace is that the girls I stayed with made it great fun, we all checked each others rooms out to see who's was the worst! Hilarious! Unfortunately ours the smallest! It makes a great story, but it is never a hostel I'd want to revisit, even if you paid me! For £60 a night you could get a good budget chain hotel that would be clean, safe and comfortable, and you can probably have two people stood up at the same time too - what luxury!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank DeliciousDiningAdmin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poole
Premier Inn Bournemouth Westcliff Hotel
Premier Inn Poole North Hotel
Thistle Poole
Thistle Poole
#6 of 14 in Poole

Been to Branksome Railway Hotel? Share your experiences!