“Excellent Food”

Ranked #43 of 50 Poole B&B and Inns
Solihull
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We have had 3 great meals here. The vegetables were super fresh - fresh peas not frozen. The steak and ale pie was excellent.
I've never stayed here so I can't comment on the hotel part but the food was great.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank anniebella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Needed a twin room in Poole over one Saturday night. Most hotels in my price range were full, except the Crown - I should have realised this was for a reason. The Crown Hotel is basically a (reasonable) back street pub that does food at lunch time and in the evenings. I didn't eat there so can't rate the food but it seamed very popular. The rooms are in the building next door. The place is dark, damp and shabby. The rooms basic to say the least and smelly. Separate shower and toilet both with damp on the walls and tiles falling off the walls. Overnight the room was too hot with the window closed and too noisy with it open. All-in-all, this place is not worth £25 per person per night and I would avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank UKDAB

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

London
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Needing a place to lay my weary head in Poole I looked at various accommodation from the Hotel du Vin to the Premier Inn varying in price from over £200 to £75 a night but the Crown wanted a mere £25- an absolute steal. I arrived with a washing up brush expecting to have to do the chores at this price but amazingly there were no catches. The room was up two very steep flights of stairs but despite the 70's decor was clean and perfectly comfortable. It even had a TV. Not ensuite but a washbasin in the corner provided water for tea and a most generous basket of tea bags, coffee, etc would have lasted me for a month. The hotel is supposed to be haunted and indeed I was woken up by a terrible screaming at 5 a.m. I stumbled to the window to find a fat seagull calling to his mates. Yesterday evening, enjoying a drink in the yard at the back of the hotel Terry the landlord's wife came out with a huge, free tray of sandwiches- delicious. If you want a cheap, no frills hotel bang in the middle of Poole, go to the Crown. I will go back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank MrLoz
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Having read a bad review I was a little apprehensive about booking here, I am so glad I wasn't put off. When we arrived mid afternoon and checked in at the bar it immediately felt welcoming and friendly. Locals and bar staff spoke to us like old friends (polite bar staff being a rare commodity these days). We were shown to our room by Mark the Manager and told that the restaurant opened at 6.30p.m. Yes, the rooms are tired and need some TLC, but they were clean and tidy and inexpensive. We had a drink at the outside area at the back of the pub and would have stayed longer but wanted to go into town and to Poole Quay which were only a stones throw away. We had dinner in the restaurant that evening and were blown away by the whole lobster and the baked crab at £12.99 each. What a deal! It's not hard to see why the restaurant was packed on a Tuesday night. We ate there the next night and had an equally good meal of home made Steak & Ale pie. If u want ano frills break in a central location, with fantastic food, and like being made welcome (especially the chatty landlord ) give it a try.
Mr & Mrs P. Guest. West Yorkshire.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
somerset, england
Reviewed 9 May 2009

As we were visiting Monkey World in Dorset thought we would stay at a local hotel overnight. My partner said look for a somewhere with a reputation for being haunted - so googled 'haunted hotels, Dorset' and this place came up on a haunted hotels website - but with no reviews, so i was a bit dubious but the picture looked okay. Also had no website of its own so couldn't see any interior shots or details of rates etc.

I should have had some idea of this place when i rang and the phone was eventually answered by someone who told me she was the cleaner, who told me there was no-one there who could help me but that all the rooms were vacant for Saturday night. When i did speak to someone later in the day they confirmed non of the rooms were en-suite rather they all had a shared bathroom - how quaint! My husband was not impressed when i told him.

When we arrived on the saturday there is no parking at the Crown but there is cheap overnight parking in public car park about 3 minute walk away.

The Crown is not a hotel but a pub with some rooms above it. When my husband and I arrived the bar was full of locals, mostly watching sport on big TV and being very loud. The whole place seemed dingy and me and my husband gave each other several sideway glances before deciding we should at least look at the room.

The landlord wasn't immediatly present, so to try to lighten my husbands mood i suggested a pint - which cost £3!! It's not exactly London prices but not far off, talk about seeing us coming! We also felt a bit uncomfortable when the locals attention turned to us, making comments like ' you dont want to stay here it's worse than Fawllty Towers' - I suggested the landlord would probaly not appreciate comments like that, and they fell about laughing.

When he did eventually turn up, the landlord shiftily sidled up to me and whispered ' i'm sorry but the only double bed we have was broken by some guests last night - would you consider twin beds'. Brilliant - this was our chance to escape! I said to my husband i would have a look at the room, just in case we were about to turn our backs on some hidden gems of kooky, kitsch, haunted hotel bedrooms - but no, it was everything i was realistically dreading. As i went up to the room via stairs next to the pub kitchen the smell of deep fat frying wafted up along with me. The carpet on the stairs gave me an indication of what i was to expect - in the room there was too much old furniture and bad furnishings, horrible, tacky and grim.

I handed the key back to the landlord, saying something about needing double bed as we were tall people, told my husband to down his pint and left, quickly. The landlord did offer the room at £25 as not a double bed - but we declined.

The location is good however and The Crown could be a nice place to stay if it was decorated, cleaned properly and had better furniture - and they changed the fryer oil. Until then stay elsewhere there are plenty of othe places in Poole. No idea if it is really haunted or this is just a marketing ploy to get it on a website. Ghosthunters beware!!

We ended up staying at Hotel du Vin up the road, much pricier but in comparison - worth every penny (pound even!).

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple