“Not good - booked by phone - but once we arrived took one look around and quickly left!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Hotel

Crown Hotel
Crown Hotel
Ranked #42 of 52 Poole B&B and Inns
somerset, england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

As we were visiting Monkey World in Dorset thought we would stay at a local hotel overnight. My partner said look for a somewhere with a reputation for being haunted - so googled 'haunted hotels, Dorset' and this place came up on a haunted hotels website - but with no reviews, so i was a bit dubious but the picture looked okay. Also had no website of its own so couldn't see any interior shots or details of rates etc.

I should have had some idea of this place when i rang and the phone was eventually answered by someone who told me she was the cleaner, who told me there was no-one there who could help me but that all the rooms were vacant for Saturday night. When i did speak to someone later in the day they confirmed non of the rooms were en-suite rather they all had a shared bathroom - how quaint! My husband was not impressed when i told him.

When we arrived on the saturday there is no parking at the Crown but there is cheap overnight parking in public car park about 3 minute walk away.

The Crown is not a hotel but a pub with some rooms above it. When my husband and I arrived the bar was full of locals, mostly watching sport on big TV and being very loud. The whole place seemed dingy and me and my husband gave each other several sideway glances before deciding we should at least look at the room.

The landlord wasn't immediatly present, so to try to lighten my husbands mood i suggested a pint - which cost £3!! It's not exactly London prices but not far off, talk about seeing us coming! We also felt a bit uncomfortable when the locals attention turned to us, making comments like ' you dont want to stay here it's worse than Fawllty Towers' - I suggested the landlord would probaly not appreciate comments like that, and they fell about laughing.

When he did eventually turn up, the landlord shiftily sidled up to me and whispered ' i'm sorry but the only double bed we have was broken by some guests last night - would you consider twin beds'. Brilliant - this was our chance to escape! I said to my husband i would have a look at the room, just in case we were about to turn our backs on some hidden gems of kooky, kitsch, haunted hotel bedrooms - but no, it was everything i was realistically dreading. As i went up to the room via stairs next to the pub kitchen the smell of deep fat frying wafted up along with me. The carpet on the stairs gave me an indication of what i was to expect - in the room there was too much old furniture and bad furnishings, horrible, tacky and grim.

I handed the key back to the landlord, saying something about needing double bed as we were tall people, told my husband to down his pint and left, quickly. The landlord did offer the room at £25 as not a double bed - but we declined.

The location is good however and The Crown could be a nice place to stay if it was decorated, cleaned properly and had better furniture - and they changed the fryer oil. Until then stay elsewhere there are plenty of othe places in Poole. No idea if it is really haunted or this is just a marketing ploy to get it on a website. Ghosthunters beware!!

We ended up staying at Hotel du Vin up the road, much pricier but in comparison - worth every penny (pound even!).

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
3 Thank pipsy589

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)