“Toddler Friendly Hotel”
Review of RNLI College

RNLI College
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed one night at the RNLI college. We requested a cot for our 18 month old, and there was a great clean travel cot waiting for us in the room. I was concerned that there may have been lots of noise to wake our toddler up during the night, but there wasn't. The room was comfortable, very clean, and most importantly for us, toddler safe - we only had to lift up the toilet brush in the bathroom to stop him playing with it. There were not any other wires or obvious plug sockets for him to get hold of. View out of the room was great over the harbour, which provided good entertainment when required. Restaurant did a good cooked breakfast, a highchair was produced on request and it was of good quality and clean. Staff were all friendly and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Watch out for the gift shop though - I ended up buying three toys and having to drag my boy away from the remote controlled RNLI land rover! The only reason that I don't give our stay 5 stars is because I could not figure out how to turn on any kind of aircon at night, and it was a very hot night. Couldn't open the windows because the seagulls were loud and I didn't want our toddler waking up.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Richard_Martin9, General Manager at RNLI College, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Hi smurto

Thank you for taking the time to review RNLI College with tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and really appreciate your kind comments. We were also very please that you found the shop!

Whilst the College has air conditioning in all public spaces and training facilities we do not have air conditining in our bedrooms. This is a high energy consumption / cost facility to run and not offered by many of the major hotel brands in the UK.

Thank you again for choosing to saty with us, and we the toys are being enjoyed and you'll be back for the remote controlled RNLI truck!

kind regards

Reviewed 11 August 2012

We had a lovely, modern, immaculately clean room with a beautiful bay view. This is a superb hotel within walking distance of the quay where there are great eating places and excellent shops. The college has a shop and if you visit the RNLI museum along the quay, you will find more RNLI goodies in their shop and also see fine exhibits and learn more about the RNLI.
The food was delicious and the staff are ultra friendly - nothing is too much trouble for them.
We had a tour of the training areas and the simulator, which was fantastic - could have stayed in there for ever, we experienced storms, snow, sinking liner etc, absolutely fabulous. Our guides were Brian and Marge and they were extremely knowledgeable and so welcoming that our tour was a pure delight. Anyone visiting should make this tour a priority.
The RNLI carry out sterling, commendable work and for that fact alone, we would stay at this hotel again but this tasteful, modern hotel is really superb in it's own right.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are bright with stunning views. Great lifts for any floors.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joy h

Hi joyh

Thank you very much for your kind and generous review of RNLI College with tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback and hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Every £ spent at RNLI College support saving lives at sea.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I travel to Poole on a regular basis for business and have tried a fair number of hotels and guest houses in the area. I must say the RNLI college is my favourite place by far - I have stayed 4 times so far and will be back again soon. Spacious rooms, bath room with plenty of shelf space for wash bags and stuff, good bed, good shower, everything very clean, but the best of all is the view over Holes Bay from all the rooms, I could just sit there and look out of the window for hours watching the sunset and the boats bobbing on the water. It is also very quiet there in spite of being in walking distance of the town centre. There is secure free parking, good breakfast and a very reasonably priced bar with a balcony, again overlooking the bay. As good as it gets. Five stars from me, and looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Richard_Martin9, General Manager at RNLI College, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Hi Docpetra

Thank you for your lovely and generous review with tripadvisor. We really value your support and repeat bookings!

We hope to welcome you bcack in the near future and appreciate you support for RNLI.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here based on other reviews we read. He was doubtful and a bit nervous when we booked it because it's a college?!? It was absolutely an amazing experience. The college was one of the best hotels I've stayed. It was right on the water with beautiful views. You definitely have to enjoy a drink at the bar in the afternoon and try the fab dinners at their restaurant. The included breakfast was some of the best food I've had and piping hot!! They also have tours which I aim to take at my next visit. Walkable to downtown to top it off :)

3  Thank Christine L

Hi Christine L

Thank you for your kind review with tripadvisor. I hope that you will be able to return and take one of our tours. We have a small international 'corner' where our tour guides explain some of our work training oversee partners, including previous work with the US Coastguard.

Thank you again, positive review help us fill any spare capacity we have. Every £ spent with us halps support saving lives at sea.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We spent 2 nights at the RNLI College last week and had our wedding reception and evening celebration there. The venue is great, a fabulous location and views in a stunning building, which our photographer also appreciated. The bedrooms are lovely and the function room was perfect - easy access for disabled guests and opening onto a lovely patio. The staff are friendly and helpful and the food was lovely. The wedding organisers are really helpful and stay in regular contact in the lead-up to the event.
If you want a venue for more than a 100 people this is the one!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room facing across the Bay if the view is important. Otherwise, rooms are all equall...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Evewhite

We are delighted you enjoyed your wedding reception with us and thank you for your support. RNLI College is a popular choice for weddings and civil partnerships and we appreciate your posting with tripadvisor.
Every £ spent at RNLI College helps support saving lives at sea.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

This was the first time me and my husband stayed at rnli college. We stayed for two nights for our firt year wedding anniversary. I originally made this decision due to positive reviews seen on this site. I can honestly say all staff were extremely polite and welcoming. I'm pregnant and I was a bit fussy - ie required a fan and also very thin blanket - they did not have a thin blanket but offered me a bedsheet which was fine- I was happy with this. We didnt have dinner and decided eat out- plenty of places in Poole. Not far at all from Bournemouth too. Had breakfast at hotel Which was delicious and set me off well for the day and the lifeboat tea was the best. We bought a couple of boxes home with us too. The location of hotel was brilliant - view was breathtaking and the room size was brilliant. No complaints we enjoyed our stay and we miss the place already having been back home for just two days. Well done to all at rnli college, very happy and I give you 5 stars. I cannot rate you more higher

5  Thank Adheela
Richard_Martin9, General Manager at RNLI College, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Hi Adheela

Thank you for your very kind review with tripadvisor. I'm pleased you enjoyed the lifeboat tea! Hopefully your husband had a chance to try the Lifeboat Ale!

The RNLI College main purpose is to train our Lifeboat crew and Lifeguards. We make use of any spare capacity to raise additional funds for RNLI. We also do christenings!

With very best wishes - we hope to welcome you and your family back soon.

Regards

Reviewed 26 July 2012

3 things I love about it. All rooms are first class and have sea views, great to see people from all over the world going there to train..., evening meal very good value and friendly service. Make it a fourth, setting shower temperature is the best thing ever... it sets it precisely in degrees... marvelous..

3 things I didn't like about it. No air conditioning, not exactly straight forward to get Internet connection on your laptop or mobile phone, 3 long phone calls before I got connected to reception.

Overall a good place to stay, would probably stay again, definitely a place you can relax in.

3  Thank PhillWheatley