“Overpowering Smell of Cigarettes Throughout”
Review of The Merchant House

The Merchant House
The Merchant House
Ranked #13 of 48 Poole B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I love Poole and the surrounding area and wanted to stay over for the weekend as a birthday treat for my girlfriend. We booked two nights, but only stayed for one.

I booked The Merchant House for two nights and spoke to David over the phone who was very accommodating and helpful. They were quite full but he managed to squeeze us in. I was thankful for this as the Trip Advisor reviews suggested this would be a lovely stay.

We found the place easy enough and the location is pretty damn good: Just set back from the Quay and with private off-street parking. Brilliant. When we arrived, I first noticed two things: 1. David was a very good host and made us feel at home very quickly, and 2. The smell of stale smoke was quite overpowering.

The website clearly stated that this was a non-smoking hotel so I was immediately really disappointed. To be fair, the room didn't smell as bad the communal areas as smoking in the rooms was clearly not permitted. But the smell was present and kept wafting in from under the door etc. We found that the towels smelt of acrid stale smoke, as did the bedding. That being said, the room was well decorated and very clean. Small, but cute. David also provides a local pub-map (thumbs up!!) and some local 'what's on' magazines.

We went out to check out the harbour and on our return there was a party going on in the breakfast lounge, and people we smoking inside and passing lit cigarettes out the windows to their friends. Our nights sleep was dreadful. Whilst the bed was't too bad, our throats were dry and coarse from the relentless smoke. The only way to sleep was with the windows wide open. It was freezing and the only way to stop the windows banging all night long was to tear up the provided magazines and stuff them down the gaps.

In the morning, and with only a few hours sleep each, we were delighted to find a phenomenal cooked breakfast provided by David. After breakfast we decided that we couldn't sleep like that again and would request cancelling our second night. I spoke with David about this. We was very apologetic and said he would refund our second night immediately. This was very good of him.

So not the best stay ever. However, I should say that whist our stay was not the best, there were guests who where having a lovely time. And David is clearly a very good host and it was good of him to refund our second night.

Just bear in mind, you might find The Merchant House a bit uncomfortable if you are not a smoker.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nik B
biggsie_uk, Owner at The Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

This guest had arrive at 2pm and complained of smoke 12pm the following day.For some reason he assured me he wasn't going to leave a bad review.Oh well people do suprise me.

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

My friend and I don't have trouble getting up and down the stairs with our luggage so we were okay. That's the only thing I would warn older or otherwise incapacitated patrons to watch out for. The bedrooms were small but very comfortable. The bathrooms very updated.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Shekhar T
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We Arrived at Merchant House and received a warm welcome from David. He showed us up to our room. The house was exceptionally clean and the decor inviting. The bedroom was very small, but the bathroom was spacious and new and again very clean. The breakfast was delicious and very well presented. David was a very interesting character and gave us some recommendations on eating out locally. I would stay here again, but maybe have a larger room next time.

1  Thank Lattinford
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Can you imagine coming all the way from Australia to set eyes on Poole Harbour where long ago, some of your master mariner ancesters set sail for the New World? And then, after taking the train from London and eventually locating The Merchant House on foot,( luggage and all) arriving to find NO CONFIRMATION OF MY BOOKING. Well this happened to me on the 3rd of August. Armed with my reservation form marked confirmed by one of Australia's largest travel
agents and supposedly made on July the 7th, David (my host) read it and reread it in amazement. It had never been received in Poole. Contacting the 24 hr emergency no in Australia proved useless and Davids British agent had no knowledge of it. So where was I to stay? All the suites were taken and Poole was packed to the rafters ( Aussie readers will laugh at that) David and Andy swung into action. Andy,( a permanent guest) vacated his room for me so I could have his bed, And so,ever so gratefully I fell asleep to the sound of the gulls. My visit to Poole was a flying one,and I was heading back to London early in the morning. David was up and made me a truly delicious breakfast. It held me in good stead all the way to London. Thank you guys for your kindness, concern and hospitality. I shall be back David, and next time I shall book direct. The Merchant House is deserving of praise both for its hospitality & the care that is extended to their ( unexpected )guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 3189timetraveller
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This was a lovely stop over and we enjoyed a charming welcome. Local recommendations for eating out was welcomed and later enjoyed. Situated close to the quayside with plenty of bars and restaurants. Off street parking was also a real bonus. Breakfast was just fabulous a real work of art. Sadly our room was the smallest in the house which is often expected within a Georgian house, but this was just to small. However the shower was generous and welcomed.

2  Thank SteveMoss
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We spent one Saturday night here. The location is close to a wide range of bars and restaurants, but we didn't find the room particularly noisy at night. The full English breakfast was the best one we have ever had, and our hosts were very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Fred113
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Despite not sleeping very well this was not a reflection on the impeccable service we received from David. Quaint little room but very suitable for 2 of us, prime location for evening stroll along the harbour and a fabulous full english breakfast at a time to suit us. Thank you David :-)

• Stayed: August 2013