“Good First Time Visit”

Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: As a small Italian restaurant, we take pride in providing superb service and food within a relaxed restaurant environment.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Good First Time Visit”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

A group of 8 of us went for my friends birthday to Al Gatto and for a first visit i was pleasently surprised. It is a good size restaurant and they havent over packed it with too many tables so there is plenty of space. The food was all reasonably priced and of good quality, the pizzas were particularly nice with hand made bases a lot more rustic than going to a chain restaurant. The service was good with a free Sambuca being provided on the house to the Birthday Boy. It was an enjoyable evening all in all

• Turkish first
Herts, England
“Mixed impressions”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Three people for a late-ish Friday night supper.

The man who took the orders was friendly and cheerful. The lady who showed us to a table and took our drinks orders was brisk. Not the slightest hint of a smile. when I asked for a soft drink with no ice, she almost scowled! Again when I asked for butter with the bread.

The bread starter was a bit stingy.

My main course was very tasty; my friends were not so impressed. That, along with the lady's attitude, knocked it down from 4 stars to 3.

“Very enjoyable evening”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was my second visit to the restaurant with a group of friends, all of us now retired but very young at heart!
The restaurant is easily missed along the busy Poole Road and there is no parking. However, since we all live nearby it was not a problem. Two of the group have been going there for years and are well known to the owners.
The menu is quite extensive and there are daily specials. Everyone of us chose different dishes and all agreed they were very enjoyable. The house wine, (of which there were a few bottles) was reasonably priced and very drinkable. The service was very good and nothing seemed to be a problem.
I would certainly return here again and would pre-book a table since the restaurant is obviously very popular.

“Amazing Evening”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked here for a surprise big birthday evening. Leo and Ursula (the owners) couldn't have been more helpful with my running in and out at various times. We pre-chose our dishes by e-mail as there was quite a few of us and when the dishes were brought to the table, it was "where is Mr Andy", "where is Mr Simon" etc etc and the correct dishes were given to each individual - I don't know of anywhere else where you would get that sort of treatment . The food was absolutely fantastic, the service was brilliant, the bar is well stocked! If you haven't been here before GO, I promise you that you will not be disappointed and you WILL return again and again. My partner and I have already decided we are going to have a monthly date night there so that we can eat our way through the menu. The menu by the way is very varied and we all had a difficult time choosing our meals. This was a birthday surprise meal and they were only too happy to put on the "Happy Birthday" music, sing and bring out the cake so if you have a special occasion or even if you don't, I urge you to give the restaurant a try. This is a BIG piece of Italy on my doorstep and I can only say that if you haven't yet been you don't know what you are missing. It is advisable to book a table in advance as they do get very busy which of course is testament to the food, service, ambiance and of course to Leo and Ursula themselves - thank you both for an absolutely brilliant evening xx

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Sandie T
“Average”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

After all the reviews I couldn't wait to try Al Gatto Nero! I hate to say it as the couple who own it seem very nice but my boyfriend and I were disappointed, probably because of all the raving reviews. Don't get me wrong the staff were polite and the food was good but nothing made this place special for us. To be honest there are better Italians along the Ashley road with more flavour to their food, my boyfriends lasagne tasted no better than my own and the calzone I had seemed very flat and full of cheese and not much else.

• Visited May 2014