“Award winning gardens”

75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Award winning gardens”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Beautifully laid out and natural gardens. Well maintained. Some colour all year round. Visited today at the end of October and still many flowers in bloom. Well stocked gift shop with some different items. Small,restaurant but tasty food.

Visited October 2013

Poole, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great for relaxation and photos”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Although it is a bit expensive to get in it is a great place just to relax and have a walk about. as an added bonus if you are into photography this is a great place to let your creativity go wild.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mr_and_Mrs_Dipple
Berkshire, England
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“lovely gardens”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

It is a bit pricey for the amount of time it takes to get round this garden and the map makes it look bigger than it actually is but they have done very well with the amount of land they have. There are twists and turns and some interesting features as you go through different styles of garden and up and down hill. Some lovely planting too. The water features are good and varied.
My only gripes would be that the children's play area looked dank and neglected in one corner under some trees amongst dusty rhodedendrons, it looked as if some of the garden had been sold off to build on, and the water in the Japanese garden was filthy which kind of spoilt the effect but, still worth a visit as overall the garden is an interesting one.

Visited October 2013
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Childhood memory's”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

It's funny how childhood memory's play tricks with you . I well recall when I was a child many years ago that we would always visit Compton Acres as part of our holiday in the Bournemouth area.

During a recent short break I decided it would be nice after all those years to revisit those memory's . The trick that is played is that things always seemed bigger when you were a kid. Indeed the map of the gardens do imply they are somewhat bigger then they actually are.

Once I had realised this my wife and I settled down to enjoy our visit. These were immaculate gardens with a number of different areas the most attractive in my view being the Japanese garden. We did visit off season so it was not busy and we pretty much had the gardens to ourselves.

The admission fee was a very reasonable £7 or so and we got a discount of a £1 by using a leaflet we found in our guest house.

Overall good value for money. We spent around and hour and half wandering round however keen gardeners would I am sure spend longer looking at the exotic plants on display.

I would imagine in the main season it would get very busy and crowded.

All the staff we encountered including the garden staff were very polite.

Good facilities with two cafés including one half way round which is a pleasant place to stop for a coffee and enjoy the distant view of Poole harbour.

All in all a recommended attraction.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Roger W
New Milton, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Relaxing Day”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Compton Acres has been on our 'to do' list for some time. We visited on a cloudy, dull Sunday and started with lunch. The 'hot' menu is very traditional 'English' so we though a little limited for us - I went for the roast pork and my wife the poached salmon. I'm not really a 'roast dinner' person but it was very good especially as the vegetables were not boiled to death. We asked for the salmon to be just cooked - unfortunately it was over cooked and covered with a cream sauce (very English!) but the vegetables were just right. The very pleasant waitress offered to change the salmon but my wife was nearly half way through so she declined the offer as she was nearly full. I had the tart dessert - that was excellent. The service was 'relaxed' so don't pop in there for a quick meal! However as we were having a relaxing day there was no problem. Our walk round the gardens was delightful - we will go back during the following spring and summer when there is more colour. The owner and all the staff were just so friendly - that makes such a difference.

Visited September 2013