“Does what it says on the tin.”

Holiday Inn Express Poole
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Just had my second 2 night stay here.
Agree with previous comments about it being a little tired and the hot breakfast options aren't great eating. I've also stayed in quite a number of full service hotels and had worse breakfasts (anyway as the hot options have just been added to 'H I Expresses' it's not a deal breaker for me).
However having stayed in many of these over the years this one is clean, good staff, quiet but well located for bus and train stations and shopping.
My previous 2 rooms have had nice new TVs in with all the digital channels.

Room Tip: Stayed at both sides of the hotel, no real difference in noise levels.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Dear Guest,

I first and foremost would like to thank you for the positive comments you made regarding the staff, this is very motivational and much appreciated.

I am terrible sorry to learn of your disappointment. It was extremely unfortunate that the condition of the hotel has detracted from the enjoyment of your stay. We would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the normal levels of service and satisfaction our guests experience, and also very much regret that you found the breakfast lukewarm and not good.

We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel during the January - March and since the property has aged, I do agree that there are signs of wear and tear but we do try our best to keep the hotel at the best conditions, and we do not receive many complaints as such as yours, however you it is quite evident that you did not find the hotel at its best state but I can assure you that after the refurbishment you will be visiting into a complete renovated shining property. As per your mention about the breakfast, it is not always the case and I will investigate personally to see what went wrong on that particular stay of yours.

As noted from your comments, I can assure you of the fact whenever you visit us the next time, we will make every possible effort to live upto our promise that we always do on a day to day basis. You are a valued guest for us and we will make you feel valued. We would love to have you back in the hotel for a nicer stay, please do contact me whenever you wish to book in the near future.

We very much appreciate such constructive criticism, as it enables us to make improvements and to provide the high standards of service which our guests expect from us.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 01202 649222

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Clean but very poor a raw installations for a Holiday Inn. Will do it for 1 or 2 nights but, seriously, kitchen closing 9pm, really?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that room was upto your expectation, however I would just like to mention that the hotel is going into refurbishment in a couple of Month’s time and the cleanliness is going to stay at the top of our priorities always as you found it. However, please accept my sincere apologies if the dinner timings were inconvenient for you as these are our standard hours of operations but the snack menu was available till late and our staff would have been more than happy to assist you with this.

Myself and the team at the Holiday Inn Express Poole would like to thank you for your custom and look forward to welcoming you back

Kind Regards

Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed in this hotel on business in November 2011.

I regularly stay in hotels all over the world, most commonly those that are positioned in a similar way to the Holiday Inn Express - mid range, convenience and standard-led brands. Out of all of the hotels in this category, Holiday Inn Express is the poorest, and this particular hotel is dreadful.

Reception staff are friendly, polite and helpful. I can't really fault them.

The hotel is a big drab grey box. The theme continues inside as rooms are very dated in their appearance and the standards of maintenance appear to be low.

My room was a double on the second floor. The bathroom is functional and was clean, but is extremely sparse. The sink didn't drain properly and smelled unpleasant, and there was no shower curtain.

The room is fitted with an air conditioner and there is a sheet of instructions. Despite following these the device just did not work and made gurgling sounds every hour or so, waking me up several times.

The TV in the room didn't work, with poor reception on all of the BBC channels. Really irritating after a long day.

The bed was passable, but the 'menu' of firm and soft pillows seems entirely pointless as they are all virtually identical. What if you are sharing the bed with someone else and you both want soft pillows?

The 'free' breakfast is just god awful. Powdery cold eggs, suspicious warm sausages, beans and soggy hash browns are the hot options. The belt toaster is fitted with a big 'don't touch' warning, and doesn't work - it just makes bread hot. Perhaps we're discouraged from touching in case we make it actually work? The coffee is served from a machine that squirts out hot water and instant coffee, and it's really truly disgusting. There are cereal and pastries that make things bearable. I'm not exaggerating, it really is horrible! I wonder if the staff that prepare this food have ever sat down to eat in the way that their customers do?

You might wonder why I am complaining so much about a budget hotel, but that's really my point - this isn't a cheap option. I paid £175 for 2 nights, well in advance. I'd happily accept the hotel as it was if it were cheaper, but at this price, this is simply a rip off. I could easily book a Premier Inn, Ibis or Travelodge for that money.

You are unlikely to be disturbed in this otherwise quiet hotel, and if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep, this isn't likely to offend. But, if you'd like to at least get value for money, I would go elsewhere and choose one of the many independent B&B's in Bournemouth and have a far better experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bp83
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments here in which you detail your dissatisfaction regarding the state of the hotel during your recent stay with us and the breakfast situation. I do apologise that we could not respond to you on the day.

I am terrible sorry to learn of your disappointment. It was extremely unfortunate that the condition of the hotel has detracted from the enjoyment of your stay. We would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the normal levels of service and satisfaction our guests experience, and also very much regret that you found the breakfast lukewarm and not hot.

We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel during the new year and since the property has aged, I do agree that there are signs of wear and tear but we do try our best to keep the hotel at the best conditions, and we do not receive many complaints as such as yours, however you it is quite evident that you did not find the hotel at its best state but I can assure you that after the refurbishment you will be visiting into a complete renovated shining property. As per your mention about the breakfast, it is not always the case and I will investigate personally to see what went wrong on that particular stay of yours.

Thank you again for your contact and for the time you have taken to inform us of your experience.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I am a regular guest of the hotel, and i cannot fault the staff.
They make it their priority to go out of their way to exceed expectations with their service. In particular, for Sarah, (the red haired receptionist) nothing is ever too much to ask. This is a lovely and rare quality to have in a staff member, and she is a real assett to the hotel.

The only slight problem I have found within the hotel is that the amount of staff working never seems to be quite right. There is either so many of them on one shift that half of them have nothing to do, or it is quite the opposite and they are rushed off their feet! Especially at busy breakfast times! And although it is pleasant that the manager abi, often comes over to chat at breakfast, I can't help but feel that the staff that are rushed off their feet in the background, and maybe it would be more beneficial to help sort out the workloads!

Overall, I am very pleased with the standards that the hotel offers, I would recommend it to anyone staying in Poole.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Alec B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for putting forward your comments here in which you detail your dissatisfaction with the staff levels during your recent stay with us and the breakfast situation. I do apologise that we could not respond to you on the day.

I would like to thank you for putting forward such nice comments for my staff and I would definitely pass it on to them. I would also like to mention that I take pleasure in personally meeting all our guests during the breakfast times, however we have a shift pattern to work alongside and staff are rota'ed as per the business need, but I do also keep in mind when to help them and assist them with cover as and when required.

As noted from your feedback, I can assure you of the fact whenever you visit us the next time, we will make every possible effort to live upto our promise that we always do on a day to day basis. You are a valued guest for us and we will make you feel valued.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stay here every month on business and find the hotel suits our needs entirely, recepionist always eager to help and no problem is too small or large.
The room was clean and smelt fresh and a nice touch is that if you forget anything, this can be obtained at reception. Breakfast is good for the type of hotel, alas the bacon was taken off a couple of months ago but other than that the food was good.
Adequate parking there and easy to get to the town centre, try the Little China restaurant just along the road, great chinese food at a reasonable cost and plenty of it.
The only problem at the hotel is the close proximaty to the railway line, always best to get a room away from this if you are a light sleeper.
Overall a good place to stay over.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the railway line are best.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Dear Guest,

I cannot thank you enough for your very kind feedback on your recent stay with us. I was delighted that you, once again, enjoyed our service and that the great team I am proud to have here have also once again exceeded your expectations. I have passed your comments on to them all.

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 November 2011

On arrival found the receptionist very polite and friendly.The lounge area is very comfortable.
Free newspapers was a nice touch.The room was very good apart from an overpowering air freshener which we switched off.Breakfast was ok could do with more choice of hot items.Overall we enjoyed our weekend break and would certainly book again.

Room Tip: Our room was 3rd floor and at the rear,no noise at all.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I was really happy that you enjoyed your stay and we met your expectations in terms of the facilities and especially the service we provided.

I have passed on your kind words to my great team here and I hope to be able to welcome you back personally on your next stay with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2011

Arrived at the hotel to receptionist more intrested in chatting between themselves then helping guest.

Once checked in the room was adequate but not cheap especially the second night.

Ideally positioned for us near to the shopping mall etc and adequate parking available for free.

Room was clean and tidy and was nice and quiet until 3am when woken by a drunk male banging on the room door. Called reception to obviously awaken the night porter who said he would come up to sort out the problem idiot guest.

After 10 mins once porter arrived the idiot had left until we were dozing off until again be woken by the same idiot. Now i had enough so opened the door to confront a naked male in his 20s outside. After losing my temper the guy appologised but had obviously totally ruined or nights sleep.

Even though this is impossible for the hotel to stop before i felt the night porter was laxed in his approach to deal with it.

My wife and Sister in law were to scared to sleep after this twice in one night.

Both mornings breakfast was good as a buffet style with plenty of selection served in the bar area.

Staff at breakfast very helpful.

Upon leaving after explaining about the previous night after debating with the Duty Manager the second night was removed from the bill and rightly so.

Overall a handy hotel in good position,Staff a little uniterested but at least something was done to rectify or second night.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments through this forum of Trip Adivisor in which you detail your dissatisfaction with the noise of your room during your recent stay with us. I do apologise that we could not respond to you on the day appropriately.

I am terrible sorry to learn of your disappointment. It was extremely unfortunate that the anti-social behaviour of some other guests staying at the hotel has detracted from the enjoyment of your stay. We would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the normal levels of service and satisfaction our guests experience.

As per the staff issues you have mentioned, I have taken the matter up personally with all the members of staff and I can assure you yet again that nothing of the same will be repeated again.

As noted from your email, I can assure you of the fact whenever you visit us the next time, we will make every possible effort to live upto our promise that we always do on a day to day basis. You are a valued guest for us and we will make you feel valued. As you mentioned, as a goodwill apology, your second night's charges has been forfeited and thank you for the positive feedback on the breakfast and other stuff that you liked during your stay. We would love to have you back in the hotel for a nicer stay, please do contact me whenever you wish to book in the near future.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 01202649222.