“Disappointing stay”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poole
London
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here over a weekend and we had two major issues with our stay.

The first was the breakfast. Only 4 hot options available at the self serve buffet; sausages, beans, scrambled egg and hash browns.

The issue was the buffet cart is only about 3 foot wide meaning that queues for hot food were 6-7people long. Further, the serving trays are quite small which means that once you're at the front of the queue, at least one of the four items is completely depleted (or in my case only hash browns and beans available). We requested twice for more sausages to be brought out (whilst at the back of the queue) which took 10 minutes or so (after we gave up), and as such we were left without. Staff need to pay more attention to when items are unavailable.

Also, the knives ran out and again I asked twice for more to be put out. No knives were brought out throughout my entire time at breakfast (probably 30mins) and as such I had to wipe down a knife used for jam to eat my hot breakfast. Needless to say we walked to town the next day to eat breakfast as we didn't feel we received value at the hotel, and we couldn't be bothered to tussle with other patrons for breakfast items.

Secondly, our room was at the front of the hotel not far from the main entrance and on the Saturday night other guests were congregating by the entrance talking/shouting/smoking and generally making noise until 6am the following morning. The staff seemed aware of this when we complained at check out but said there was nothing they could do, albeit they do have a responsibility to other patrons. After a night of practically zero sleep you can imagine that we were less than happy.

Essentially, if you really must stay here then request a room at the back, end of wing, or top floor, such that you are as far away as possible from the entrance.

Overall, having stayed at Holiday Inn's previously, we were completely disappointed with our stay here.

Room Tip: Do not get a room at the front of the hotel anywhere near the entrance
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frazbobsquarepants
GeneralManagerPoole, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Frazbobsquarepants

We really pride ourselves on providing a friendly service and keeping a very clean hotel up to Holiday Inn Express standard and I was disappointed to find this wasn’t the case during your stay.
Please accept my apologies for any problems encountered during your stay; please contact me direct on gm@hiexpoole.co.uk to discuss the problems with the breakfast standards and noise.

Abi Gupta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I am from North America and live in the UK now. I have learned over the years that there is something about Canadian and American chains that brings a level of comfort to my travel around the world. I spent years staying in Boutique Hotels and 4 or 5 star or highly rated Bed and Breakfasts in the UK only to be disappointed by the service and practicality. In the UK I have traveled extensively and will not stay in nothing now but well established chains. Holiday Inn in Poole was exactly what I expected. The staff were incredible, Albert at the front desk was extraordinary and knew instantly that we were going to have a great stay because he would make sure of it. The rooms were spotless, no dust anywhere. Everything was perfectly arranged. I have been known to clean hotel rooms myself as I am so particular. We stayed in the new part of the hotel, I believe it has been recently renovated and it was the 3rd floor, it had striped carpet on the website so when we arrived, I asked to stay in one of these rooms. They had clean minimal white sheets and duvets. No ugly bedspreads which I find so dated.

A great thing about the rooms is when you shut the curtains it is completely black at night which I love and slept well because of this.

The breakfast was even pretty good. I am gluten free though and they did not have many gluten free options but I knew this as I had called ahead. Also the vegetarian options were not great either. But this did not take away from my stay as it really was a great hotel in a great location. Albert recommended great restaurants to us as well! I would highly recommend this hotel but again, ask for the newly renovated section.

Room Tip: Ask for the new part of the hotel with the striped carpet, that is where they have done the renovati...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear anna b

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your recent review on Trip Advisor. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.
I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel staff particularly Albert; we are glad he was helpful during your stay and that you had good nights sleep.
We are delighted that you continue to choose our hotel chain and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stay in Poole quiet regularly but this was my first time at the Holiday Inn Express. It is a bit of a monster from the outside, looking very American I thought. The staff were great, relaxed and friendly. Room was as expected and in good order. Food at the bar was great too. Overall, this was a hit with me and I will stop here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Don't forget to obtain a parking ticket at reception on arrival!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bob A

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your recent review on Trip Advisor. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the positive feedback regarding the rooms, good customer service and our food.
We are glad you chose to stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

my stay here was pleasant. the room was value for money and the internet connection was good. had breakfast which was ok, dinner was also ok
service was polite and swift
the location was excellent for where i needed to be

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ele C

We are really please you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of our Free WiFi. Poole is a great town and we are delighted you had the time to explore the local area.
Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly staff and food service, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We were attending a gig at The Lighthouse and were staying overnight. I booked this hotel as it seemed to be close...and so it proved. It was no more than 5 minutes walk to the venue and an easy walk yo the main town centre and coast. Checking in was very easy and the staff were very helpful and attentive. The room was clean, well laid out and comfortable. The free WiFi worked well too which was important as there were a few bits of work I needed to attend to. The bathroom had a large walk in shower but no bath, this might be important to some. After the gig we got back and the bar was still open (nice) and wasn't too pricey. Breakfast was served but could have been better. There was only sausage, scrambled egg, hash brown and beans. There should have been more choice. Check out was as easy as checking in and we were also able to leave our car in the car park for a few more hours as we needed to go into town before going home. This was most welcome. I would book here again if we were going to a The Lighthouse for another event.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KeithieW

We really pride ourselves on providing a friendly service and keeping a very clean hotel up to Holiday Inn Express standard and I was pleased to read you found this to be the case.
As we are only an Express our breakfast is limited, apologies if you were misinformed of this.
We are really pleased you had time to enjoy the local area and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We found Holiday Inn Express Poole to be perfectly situated for a night visiting Lighthouse Arts Centre, which is about four minutes walk away. The service was good. The room was clean and excellent with a comfortable bed, en suite and TV. Breakfast was free - cereals, toast, sausage, scrambled eggs, beans and hash browns. We'd certainly use it again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Howard S

We are delighted that you have found our rooms clean and comfortable and enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. Our central location is great for exploring Poole and the surrounding areas and we are glad you enjoyed your show at the Lighthouse.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Arrived on Friday 21st February, good welcome and showed our room. The room was smaller than the one we had at Cardiff Holiday Inn Express but they made the bed comfy with extra duvet on top of mattress. Bathroom clean but the towels are not bath towels but hand size only. Under the table by the bin though is what looks like blood splatter.
Breakfast basic but plenty, constantly refreshed by hard working staff, all male so far. Free wifi works well When we visit Mandy again we will use this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Olivepete,

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate all feedback as they help us to improve our products and services. It was indeed pleasure to read that overall you enjoyed your stay comfortable and will stay with us again.

We are sorry that we did not meet your expectation in size of room and towels, especially the stain near the bin, please contact me directly if you wish to discuss your further at deputy@hiexpoole.co.uk.

We are also happy that you find free WiFi useful and also all staff was hard working, breakfast was plenty but sorry you find it basic however we follow Holiday Inn Express's standard for breakfast and serve 4 hot items in addition to continental breakfast.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Express, Poole.

On behalf of GM