“No complaints”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Halifax, United Kingdom
“No complaints”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed here for one night whilst attending an event in Poole. I'd chosen this hotel as it was walking distance to the event we attended - wasn't disappointed there - a ten minute walk to Poole Stadium.

There doesn't seem to be a huge choice of hotels in central Poole, and I'd not normally book a 'budget' type hotel - but was very pleased with the standard and cleanliness of the rooms and public areas. Facilities are basic I guess, but all quite modern and the rooms a decent size.

Friendly staff checked us in efficiently and we were made to feel welcome. I guess the only odd thing is the check-in staff running the bar. Occasionally had to wait a while for drinks whilst they performed check-in - but really not a huge issue.

Some reviews mention problems with breakfast... Well it is basic and not a huge choice - but it was a whole lot better than the breakfast I was once served in another 'budget' hotel chain.

Plenty of onsite parking, so we had no problems parking.

Overall - for what you pay - I think it is very good value and would not hesitate in recommending it or staying there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Martin P
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Martin P,

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate all feedback as they help us to improve our products and services. It was indeed pleasure to read that overall you enjoyed your stay found a value propostion to stay with us and had no complaints.

We are also happy that you find location suited for your purpose. With regards to check in staff running bar, we also have a GSM on shift to assist them during busy hours. We are happy you find staff friendly the facilities though basic but modern and rooms decent size. We as you mentioned also have ample parking space.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Express, Poole.

On behalf of GM

Kind regards
Arun Sharma
Deputy General Manager
Holiday Inn Express Poole,
Walking Field Lane Poole,
BH15 1RZ
Tel 01202649222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Weston Super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed here for just 1 night, room was light and airy, nice to be able to open the windows. Breakfast was very good and in with room price.
Only problem we had was the water only trickled out of the tap, (not enough to clean your teeth even), water in the shower was the same and cold. Did report it but nothing changed.
The picture on the wall in the room was upside down, we did tell them thought it was funny and sent someone from house keeping to look. Wondered how long it had been like that!!!!

Room Tip: our room was on the front, we found it very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear 500sheila,

Thank you for your feedback. We were pleased to read read that overall found value for your money and you enjoyed your stay with Holiday Inn Express Poole

We are also happy that you find your room airy, and well lit. You also enjoyed our free breakfast. We apologize with regards to water pressure and picture on the wall. Please contact me directly on deputy@hiexpoole.co.uk if you wish to discuss this further.

On behalf of GM

BH15 1RZ
Tel 01202649222
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The overall cleanliness and decor was up to usual standards, with comfortable rooms and beds.
However, the staff were inept, there was no atmosphere and the breakfast quality and choice was unacceptable. The location was landlocked by busy main roads and the walk to the quay and back was unpleasant. I will not be returning to this hotel and would recommend others to avoid it in preference of the competition.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManagerPoole, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear booby s

We are delighted that you have found our rooms clean and comfortable.

Please accept my apologies for any problems encountered during your stay; rest assured this is not normal practice. Please contact me direct on gm@hiexpoole.co.uk to discuss the problems further.

Abi Gupta

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

London
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here over a weekend and we had two major issues with our stay.

The first was the breakfast. Only 4 hot options available at the self serve buffet; sausages, beans, scrambled egg and hash browns.

The issue was the buffet cart is only about 3 foot wide meaning that queues for hot food were 6-7people long. Further, the serving trays are quite small which means that once you're at the front of the queue, at least one of the four items is completely depleted (or in my case only hash browns and beans available). We requested twice for more sausages to be brought out (whilst at the back of the queue) which took 10 minutes or so (after we gave up), and as such we were left without. Staff need to pay more attention to when items are unavailable.

Also, the knives ran out and again I asked twice for more to be put out. No knives were brought out throughout my entire time at breakfast (probably 30mins) and as such I had to wipe down a knife used for jam to eat my hot breakfast. Needless to say we walked to town the next day to eat breakfast as we didn't feel we received value at the hotel, and we couldn't be bothered to tussle with other patrons for breakfast items.

Secondly, our room was at the front of the hotel not far from the main entrance and on the Saturday night other guests were congregating by the entrance talking/shouting/smoking and generally making noise until 6am the following morning. The staff seemed aware of this when we complained at check out but said there was nothing they could do, albeit they do have a responsibility to other patrons. After a night of practically zero sleep you can imagine that we were less than happy.

Essentially, if you really must stay here then request a room at the back, end of wing, or top floor, such that you are as far away as possible from the entrance.

Overall, having stayed at Holiday Inn's previously, we were completely disappointed with our stay here.

Room Tip: Do not get a room at the front of the hotel anywhere near the entrance
1 Thank Frazbobsquarepants
GeneralManagerPoole, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Frazbobsquarepants

We really pride ourselves on providing a friendly service and keeping a very clean hotel up to Holiday Inn Express standard and I was disappointed to find this wasn’t the case during your stay.
Please accept my apologies for any problems encountered during your stay; please contact me direct on gm@hiexpoole.co.uk to discuss the problems with the breakfast standards and noise.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I am from North America and live in the UK now. I have learned over the years that there is something about Canadian and American chains that brings a level of comfort to my travel around the world. I spent years staying in Boutique Hotels and 4 or 5 star or highly rated Bed and Breakfasts in the UK only to be disappointed by the service and practicality. In the UK I have traveled extensively and will not stay in nothing now but well established chains. Holiday Inn in Poole was exactly what I expected. The staff were incredible, Albert at the front desk was extraordinary and knew instantly that we were going to have a great stay because he would make sure of it. The rooms were spotless, no dust anywhere. Everything was perfectly arranged. I have been known to clean hotel rooms myself as I am so particular. We stayed in the new part of the hotel, I believe it has been recently renovated and it was the 3rd floor, it had striped carpet on the website so when we arrived, I asked to stay in one of these rooms. They had clean minimal white sheets and duvets. No ugly bedspreads which I find so dated.

A great thing about the rooms is when you shut the curtains it is completely black at night which I love and slept well because of this.

The breakfast was even pretty good. I am gluten free though and they did not have many gluten free options but I knew this as I had called ahead. Also the vegetarian options were not great either. But this did not take away from my stay as it really was a great hotel in a great location. Albert recommended great restaurants to us as well! I would highly recommend this hotel but again, ask for the newly renovated section.

Room Tip: Ask for the new part of the hotel with the striped carpet, that is where they have done the renovati...
Dear anna b

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your recent review on Trip Advisor. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.
I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel staff particularly Albert; we are glad he was helpful during your stay and that you had good nights sleep.
We are delighted that you continue to choose our hotel chain and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stay in Poole quiet regularly but this was my first time at the Holiday Inn Express. It is a bit of a monster from the outside, looking very American I thought. The staff were great, relaxed and friendly. Room was as expected and in good order. Food at the bar was great too. Overall, this was a hit with me and I will stop here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Don't forget to obtain a parking ticket at reception on arrival!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bob A

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your recent review on Trip Advisor. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the positive feedback regarding the rooms, good customer service and our food.
We are glad you chose to stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

my stay here was pleasant. the room was value for money and the internet connection was good. had breakfast which was ok, dinner was also ok
service was polite and swift
the location was excellent for where i needed to be

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ele C

We are really please you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of our Free WiFi. Poole is a great town and we are delighted you had the time to explore the local area.
Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly staff and food service, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.