“Two night Stay -”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Stoke-on-Trent
“Two night Stay -”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Stayed Friday and Saturday night on a weekend which was very sunny. Hotel's location excellent - right on the quay and good parking (although had to pay £5 per night). It could be possible that you buy a ticket before checking-in - This is not necessary as it's all done electroniclally in reception - presumably they could adjust any overpayment from the ticket machine at that stage.
We were on the ground floor, which was facing the quay with good views. also very handy to keep returning with shopping etc.. Only problem was that there were outside tables and chairs just outside the window so we felt we had to leave the window closed when the Wedding party had their drinks outside! Otherwise fine as we were out all day.We didn't take dinner or lunch but the breakfast was fine - full choice.
We had a long line of Classic cars on outside on Friday evening - very nice. Bikers come, too apparently.
Room was a little tired but beds were comfy.
Conclusion - good location, food and cheerful staff, bedrooms need an upgrade.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrianBStoke_on_Trent
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear BrianBstoke_on_
Thank you for taking time to write a review - I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry that you were slightly inconvenienced by the wedding drinks out on the lawn. We try to make sure that the drinks are kept for a set period on the lawn during the afternoon and also that the net curtains stop anyone being able to look in.

I hope we can welcome you back to our friendly staff and comfy beds soon!.

Craig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I appreciaite this is a modest hotel and pretty much what you expect, what stood out for me were the staff. I spent two days in the hotel on a course and used a bedroom. The staff could not have been more helpful, polite and accomidation and so I wanted to give them a good mention.

I did not use the restaurant as we ate out so can not offer any feedback on that ( forgive the pun)

Its a great location for a hotel if you want to explore the Quay and harbour as well as not too far from all the shops., if your from out of town visit Browsea Island, I love it there.

The bedroom was comfy and adequate although I thought the room rate a little high in comparrison. Whislt I was there there was a problem that needed to be sorted out which was dealt with impecably by the management as well as the staff.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel has harbour views
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Poole
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My daughter and 5 year old granddaughter joined me for afternoon tea this afternoon and we could not fault it.
When we arrived we were not sure about the car parking (i.e. did we have to pay) but the receptionist was very helpful and explained that we did not need to pay.
We were greeted in the restaurant by a lovely waitress who clearly enjoys her job. I am only sorry I did not think to ask her for her name as she is a credit to this establishment. She was attentive without being a nuisance. The tea was lovely and the views across the harbour from the restaurant just added to the enjoyment.
I agree with some comments on here that the interior decor and furnishings may be rather dated, but everything is in very good condition and spotlessly clean. I would rather eat in somewhere like this with excellent staff than be in an ultra modern restaurant where the staff are about as much use as plastic dolls!
We will definitely be going back to Thistle Hotel in Poole.
Thank-you

Room Tip: Unable to rate rooms etc as we had afternoon tea only
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear HappyWalkerPoole

Thank you for your kind comments - it is great that your family enjoyed afternoon tea at the Hotel.
We take great effort to ensure that we employ staff with friendly personalities rather than plastic dolls! I will get the Restaurant Manager to ascertain who the person is and nominate them for employee of the month.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

From checking in, to checking out, everything was perfect. Even though the weather was poor, the staff remained cheerful. Breakfast is a must!

Stayed June 2011
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Suzanne019

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Although there was not much we can do about the weather it is great to see that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Tired room. Great views. Decent breakfast. Woken at 1.30am by somone else in the room. Seems someone had been given my room too! Took ages to explain this to reception who offered no apology or explaination. Travel to Poole on business often. Will not stay here again

• Stayed April 2012
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear SteveOu812
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay and were woken up. Please be assured that this is not a normal occurrence and I would like to ensure that this does not happen again. I would appreciate if you can contact myself directly at the hotel so that I can personally look into what happened.

Craig Findleton

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

Booked twin on 2 seperate nights, got doubles. Complained when we got to the room and found them to be very small doubles, twin rooms (as booked) were then found after a short delay.
Far to expensive to use Wi-Fi so not able to check emails etc.
Very good food, excellent service at dinner.
Cold bathrooms as towel rail not working, reception advised system being worked on. Car park charges were an unpleasant surprise for overnight stays.

Stayed April 2012
Dear Archie481
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide feedback. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the dinner.

We have just created a loyalty programme called Signature which allows members to have access to a free wifi allowance each night of their stay. I have passed your comments onto reception as this should have been mentioned when prices were discussed. I am sorry that you were not made aware of the carpark charges. We carry out regular checks on our competitors to ensure that the prices are comparable with other Hotels and advertise the rates on both our website and all websites that we sell rooms on. I am sorry that this was not detected at the time of the booking being made.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

reading, england
Reviewed 23 April 2012

the hotel, has a great location, rooms overlooking the harbour, its worth the extra payment,rooms are okay, great walks, food very good, car parking is payable,£5 per night. staff were friendly, and efficient.
great pubs on the seafront" lord Nelson" and a jd wetherspoon, for cheap beer, and food

Room Tip: get a sea view room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Carmine69
It's great to read that you have had an enjoyable stay at the Hotel. We do have great views and you are right about the great walks close by.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.