“OK for one night”
Review of Thistle Poole

Thistle Poole
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Travel agent booked us in for one night before an early ferry trip to the Channel Islands. Nice view over the marina from the restaurant (our room over looked the car park). Close to ferry terminal - but still needed a cab as too far to walk with luggahe. Room, restaurant and food all very anodyne. Service pleasant. I was irritated by the internet charges after staying at smaller hotels elsewhere with free wi -fi. Felt like a rip-off.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if you want one
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear Traveller-eater

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay - the Hotel is ideally situated close to the ferries. Whilst our BT Openzone wireless prices are standardised throughout the company, we will shortly be in the process of updating the hardware to make it even more faster. If you sign up to our Signature loyalty programme we do give you complimentary daily allowance as a benefit which most people seem to like.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed here on a 'deal' - free wine, M&S voucher, breakfast worth £16 each included, free upgrade. They told us they had upgraded us and, yes, we did have a sea view (which was lovely), but the room was tired with holes in wall paper, ripped out trouser press etc and the bathroom was grubby.

The breakfast was good and so was the service.

The location is excellent.

I would stay here again but it would have to be a budget price as the accommodation was definitely budget standard.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear MaryB53
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback.
I am pleased you enjoyed your harbour-view, however am sorry that the room let you down. We have removed the trouserpress from most rooms as guests preferred a full length iron-board to use. I am sorry that you felt that the bathroom was grubby, I have spoken to the Head Housekeeper to double check that this is not the case going forward.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Stayed Friday and Saturday night on a weekend which was very sunny. Hotel's location excellent - right on the quay and good parking (although had to pay £5 per night). It could be possible that you buy a ticket before checking-in - This is not necessary as it's all done electroniclally in reception - presumably they could adjust any overpayment from the ticket machine at that stage.
We were on the ground floor, which was facing the quay with good views. also very handy to keep returning with shopping etc.. Only problem was that there were outside tables and chairs just outside the window so we felt we had to leave the window closed when the Wedding party had their drinks outside! Otherwise fine as we were out all day.We didn't take dinner or lunch but the breakfast was fine - full choice.
We had a long line of Classic cars on outside on Friday evening - very nice. Bikers come, too apparently.
Room was a little tired but beds were comfy.
Conclusion - good location, food and cheerful staff, bedrooms need an upgrade.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrianBStoke_on_Trent
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear BrianBstoke_on_
Thank you for taking time to write a review - I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry that you were slightly inconvenienced by the wedding drinks out on the lawn. We try to make sure that the drinks are kept for a set period on the lawn during the afternoon and also that the net curtains stop anyone being able to look in.

I hope we can welcome you back to our friendly staff and comfy beds soon!.

Craig

Reviewed 11 May 2012

I appreciaite this is a modest hotel and pretty much what you expect, what stood out for me were the staff. I spent two days in the hotel on a course and used a bedroom. The staff could not have been more helpful, polite and accomidation and so I wanted to give them a good mention.

I did not use the restaurant as we ate out so can not offer any feedback on that ( forgive the pun)

Its a great location for a hotel if you want to explore the Quay and harbour as well as not too far from all the shops., if your from out of town visit Browsea Island, I love it there.

The bedroom was comfy and adequate although I thought the room rate a little high in comparrison. Whislt I was there there was a problem that needed to be sorted out which was dealt with impecably by the management as well as the staff.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel has harbour views
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My daughter and 5 year old granddaughter joined me for afternoon tea this afternoon and we could not fault it.
When we arrived we were not sure about the car parking (i.e. did we have to pay) but the receptionist was very helpful and explained that we did not need to pay.
We were greeted in the restaurant by a lovely waitress who clearly enjoys her job. I am only sorry I did not think to ask her for her name as she is a credit to this establishment. She was attentive without being a nuisance. The tea was lovely and the views across the harbour from the restaurant just added to the enjoyment.
I agree with some comments on here that the interior decor and furnishings may be rather dated, but everything is in very good condition and spotlessly clean. I would rather eat in somewhere like this with excellent staff than be in an ultra modern restaurant where the staff are about as much use as plastic dolls!
We will definitely be going back to Thistle Hotel in Poole.
Thank-you

Room Tip: Unable to rate rooms etc as we had afternoon tea only
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear HappyWalkerPoole

Thank you for your kind comments - it is great that your family enjoyed afternoon tea at the Hotel.
We take great effort to ensure that we employ staff with friendly personalities rather than plastic dolls! I will get the Restaurant Manager to ascertain who the person is and nominate them for employee of the month.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

From checking in, to checking out, everything was perfect. Even though the weather was poor, the staff remained cheerful. Breakfast is a must!

Stayed: June 2011
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear Suzanne019

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Although there was not much we can do about the weather it is great to see that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Tired room. Great views. Decent breakfast. Woken at 1.30am by somone else in the room. Seems someone had been given my room too! Took ages to explain this to reception who offered no apology or explaination. Travel to Poole on business often. Will not stay here again

• Stayed: April 2012
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear SteveOu812
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay and were woken up. Please be assured that this is not a normal occurrence and I would like to ensure that this does not happen again. I would appreciate if you can contact myself directly at the hotel so that I can personally look into what happened.