“only one night but no complaints”
Review of Thistle Poole

Thistle Poole
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 16 June 2013

very nice hotel in fab location on Poole Quay. Stunning views. Hotel room comfortable & well equipped with Freeview and the usual tea/coffee. Hotel clean and well decorated. Staff friendly, accommodating and efficient. Food nice but a little expensive. Only stayed one night but woul happily recommend.

Room Tip: front rooms more expensive but view fantastic
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you for your great review, Phyzipop2. We are trying very hard to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible and I am pleased we achieved that. I will pass on your kind words on to all relevant departments.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Got off Cherbourg/Poole ferry after 10pm, very tired. Couldn't continue my drive to Cornwall at that time of night. Many hotels were full, but not only were Thistle able to take me (gone 12midnight) but, on understanding I had a medical condition, went out of their way to meet my needs. My bags were taken to the room for me and the staff were extremely kind given my exhausted state. I had a good night's sleep and certainly recommend it as a place to stay at any time. Clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear maemoore, thank you for your great review. Our Night Porter is really pleased that you mentioned his efforts and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Great location on the Quayside. The rooms at the front on the first and second floors have the most fantastic views over Poole Harbour. I'm not sure I'd be so happy with a room at the back overlooking the car park, or indeed paying for a room with a view and finding myself on the ground floor where shrubbery etc and cars parked would spoil the view. (I overheard a couple at reception complaining about the latter).

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view - you won't regret it ! (unless you find yourself on the gr...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Thank you for your review GeorgeandAndy. We are really blessed with our location and the views. Unfortunately some rooms do overlook the car park, but this is also reflected in our room rates. We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

if you need to use a hotel before or after using the Condor Ferry I would certainly recommend this hotel. Modern, well designed and literally just around the corner from the ferry terminal this hotel provides every thing you could want for a good nights rest and a great meal. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Dear DougieBodham, thank you very mush for your kind review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights on coach trip, superb service by Megan , Ricardo and Elisha and Sam on reception, view is simply stunning, sunshine all week and bike night on a Tuesday was a treat , rooms are spacious and luckily had front view over harbour

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Stewy123, thank you for your great review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your kind word to all relevant departments.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I used to live in Poole and have been meaning to visit old haunts for a while, we got our chance and booked a room over the May bank hol weekend, we knew where the hotel was and was looking forward to a great view of Poole harbour and Brownsea Island, even a side on, half view of water would have sufficed, we checked in and before I opened the door we knew we were facing inland. Not only that but at ground level looking at the hotel car park, I tried to get the room changed but was told the hotel was full, I asked for the Manager who appeared, I explained that my receipt said standard room, not room with no view, I was paying £100 for a night looking at a carpark, the Manager offered a free breakfast which I accepted but still no view.
The hotel was nice, the room was very good hence my score, the breakfast was very good.

We were continually asked to swipe my card even though I booked 4 days earlier?

I think that although some rooms face inland with no view this should be confirmed when booking and if you accept a no view room it should be considerably cheaper than a room with a good view, not £100 a night.

Room Tip: Confirm your view before booking.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for your review 80marines.
You stayed with us over the really busy Bank Holiday Weekend and enjoyed great sunshine and a busy hotel.
When you look on our website the hotel categories we offer are Standard Room and Standard Room with a View. You opted for the Standard Room, which is also the cheaper option, and not the Standard Room with a View.

I am aware that we have been in touch via email already and look forward to welcoming to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

This is our first time in a Thistle Hotel and whilst completely adequate it will in no way be a choice for another trip to Poole. Reception staff can be a bit hit and miss (Sally is very good) and breakfast buffet is also very good (Meg here is a great character) - for the rest of it - well it just feels very utilitarian. It is all very clean and tidy, everything works and there was nothing we asked for that couldn't be provided - like milk for breakfast tea (instead of the provide UHT stuff). If you don't mind any of that then you will have a pleasant stay. I am not sure you will get anything better for the money and certainly you cant beat the location. A couple of odd things though... Why no free WiFi? It available for free in nearly every other pub and restaurant in Poole and in a couple of public spaces too. Also a bit odd was the stand alone electric heater in the room. It was very cold the few days we were there so it was needed but it made us wonder about the heating system. Anyway, hope its helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the marina are better. Watch out for the chairs in the buffet area - they slide ba...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear RogerBest, thank you very much for your time reviewing our Hotel. We are currently upgrading our rooms and hope to have all finished by end November this year.
We do offer free WIFI and our Reception Team will provide all our guests with a log-in code, if required.
Please contact me direct should you wish to stay with us again.
Kind regards