“Nice Place”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Hudson, Indiana
“Nice Place”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night. No surprises, comfortable room. Nice breakfast, buffet style. Location was great, could walk to many restaurants, pubs or shopping areas. Felt very safe at all times.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear jimshu46747, Thank you for your review, and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Should you stay with us again, please feel free to contact me directly. Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
London England
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed here two nights in August as it was a very last minute break - we have stayed a few times in the Thistel and thought it would be same or better but not not so. The hotel really needs a whole refurb and what a shame as it is a great location and the staff could not be more helpfull. Thank you to the staff especially on reception - you are gems. Mary & Joseph

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mary and Joseph,
Thank you for your reviw on tripadvisor, and I have passed on your kind comments to the staff. We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel, but as I am sure you can appreciate this does take time. We are working on updating the rooms, and the restaurant as a priority. If you do return please feel free to contact me directly. Regards,
Cowes, Isle of Wight, UK
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed here for one night instead of sleeping on our boat.

Check in went smoothly and we were soon in our rooms.

There was a wedding on in the hotel which was a tad annoying as the disco was fairly loud and raucous.

A perfectly fine stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear eclipsemullet,

thank you for your kind review. Please contact me directly next time should you wish to stay again and I will make sure that we give you a room away from any festivities. (if possible)
Best regards
Tiverton
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel is just adequate but not impressive.The self closing bedroom doors slam loudly and woke us.
The breakfast menu is "approved by the Vegetarian Society" according to the printing on the page. However the only sausages available were pork which is a poor show seeing as how vegetarian sausages are popular, sold widely in supermarkets and very tasty.
Although the check out process was friendly enough we encountered a rather grumpy check-in receptionist who did the hotel reputation no good at all (and I speak as someone who has spent large sums of money on booking corporate events with the Thistle chain so I know this was an exception).
The car park was litter strewn although perhaps not entirely the hotel's fault as I guess it blows in from elsewhere but it would improve matters if there is a daily inspection and litter pick. Similarly the number of fag ends on the ground by the front door was unimpressive. It really needs inspecting and a rota established for a regular litter pick please.
The first floor bar lounge had a wonderful Grand Piano which I was able to play - but WHY oh WHY do the staff stand potted plants on top of it? Its not a piece of furniture - it is a musical instrument (and a jolly fine and valuable one too!).
Overall our stay in this partucular Thistle Hotel can be described as "adequate" but not impressive.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a sea view but our room was on the ground floor so the "view" was of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear John N, Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear you were not entirely satisfied with your stay, and I would like to assure you that your comments have been taken on board especially regarding the outside areas. We are aware this can sometimes be an issue and are taking steps to ensure it is better maintained several times daily. I have taken on your comments regarding vegetarian sausages, and will see if we can accomodate - we do however provide a wide range fo continental options, and other hot vegetarian options. If you do choose to stay again, please feel free to contact me directly. Kind Regards,
Sanshurst
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We didn't stay here, but we were walking past on a hot summer evening and decided to have a drink at the Thisttle. The bar area has no atmosphere, the barman was miserable and the price was shocking.

We sat outside, by ourselves, as even on a hot nod balmy summer night, this place is still unable to attract the punters.

On finishing our drink, I needed to use the toilet before we moved on. The Gents was in an appalling state. This was at 7 in the evening and there was paper towels all over the floor, no soap and the most nauseous stench you could imagine. Frankly, it was difficult to believe if the area been cleaned for a few days

I complained to the receptionist and pointed out this was a health hazard. She didn't want to know, saying a cleaner had been in at 17:30 and had declared the gents as ok. I asked to go and check he toilets. She said she was "too busy" . Fair enough I said, but rest assured I will report this matter on TripAdvisor. Do what you want she said.

Awful place who employ staff with awful manners.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Paul L, I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the Thistle Poole and felt that we were unable to provide you with the service you expected. Your commetns have definitely been taken on board, and have been passed on to the relevant teams. Should you return I am sure you see improvement. Kind Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

UK
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The real stars of this hotel are the staff and location.
Got harbour view room, which had everything I needed and really wonderful view of the harbour with all the comings and goings to observe.
Décor was okay if not slightly dated but was practical and comfortable, It was hottest days of September when I stayed and really could have done with air conditioning, but there was a fan which I had to keep on all night.
Reception and waiting staff were helpful, always smiling and courteous. Breakfast was good and staff very pleasant.
Have stayed in Poole before and this is definitely the best hotel I have stayed in. Would return.

Room Tip: Choose second floor sea view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear alextsUK, Thank you for your review on tripadvisor, and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Some of our rooms do have air conditioning, so please feel free to ask when you book your next stay and we will do everything possible to accommodate. I have passed on your kind words to the team, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards,
Dalgety bay
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed here for two nights and thought I'd share my thoughts. Arrival was fine, checked in ok, room was clean and spacious with a view out across the harbour. My double bed was actually two singles bolted together and there was an uncomfortable ridge down the middle which disturbed my sleep.

I went upstairs to the restaurant for breakfast and at the entrance I was told that my room had been booked with no breakfast (booked through work) and did I want to add it to the room? Yes please. A couple of slices of toast and a cup of tea later and off I went.

The next morning before checkout, I went up for breakfast again and when I asked for breakfast to be added, was told that it was £15 to add breakfast and only £10 if I went downstairs to reception for a voucher. I went downstairs again and spoke to reception and asked for a voucher and mentioned that I hadn't been told this the day before and that in fact, I hadn't been aware that my booking didn't include breakfast at all until the morning before. The receptionist then told me that all guests are told about the breakfast charges when they book in and she gave me a voucher. I told here that I wasn't happy about being charged £15 from the day before for some tea and toast.

When I went back upstairs to the restaurant, I duly got my tea and toast and whilst I was there, noticed a price list on the table with toast listed as £2. something. Under £3!

When I checked out I raised my gripes and the £15 charge from the day before was changed to £2.95 for some toast but the £10 voucher which she'd only justt sold me, she said she wouldn't change because she had clearly explained that this was for a full breakfast - In fact, nothing had been mentioned about a full breakfast as I never have a cooked brekky and had I known there was a menu option would have opted for that. I'm not one for wasting money for no good reason.

The problem lies in the communication between the hotel and their customers. Why would they tell you that some toast was under £3 if they can charge you £15 or even £10? I never saw a menu until I was in the restaurant and to get in, you have to pay! I assumed it was simply a pay or don't eat deal.

I have to say that it has soured my trip here and yet the rest of the staff were very helpful, the room was clean and the location was excellent (beware Tuesday evenings though as there's a big bike rally which closed almost all the access roads to the hotel and a magical mystery tour ensued trying to get back to the car park). The bed would most likely have been fine for two but given a massive bed for just me, it would be nice to be able to stretch out and make the most of the space without the central ridge.

Would I return again? Yes if i had to because the location was great, a cold beer outside with the world walking past, big clean rooms etc but I'd go well armed with the fact that you do have the option to choose your breakfast from a menu and don't have to pay a massive entry charge for a quick bite to eat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor facing the harbour and be clear about the prices of breakfast opti...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Sean M, Thank you for your review, and I am sorry to hear that your trip was shaded by mis-communication about the breakfast we offer, and for this I would like to apologise. Usual practice would be that the guest would be told if they were on bed and breakfast rate at check in, if not breakfast vouchers for the whole buffet can be purchased for £10 at reception, and we then have charges at breakfast for guests who did not get the voucher, or who are not staying int he hotel - which are ont he breakfast menu. I completely understand the confusion in yoru situation, and will discuss this with the relevant departments. Please feel free to contact me directly before your next stay, and I am glad you were otherwise happy with you stay. Regards,