“Best staff ever encountered”
Review of Thistle Poole

Thistle Poole
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed at Thistle hotel last weekend and it was my partner who booked it so I had no idea what it would be like. I really enjoyed staying at this hotel, I encountered 3 receptionists and a lady working the breakfast area, all were the most polite, professional and friendly staff I've ever met. I honestly would stay again just for the amazing staff!

We had bad weather but it didn't stop us from exploring and enjoying our weekend. The room; and entire hotel really, was exceptionally well kept and clean. Could not find a fault. We had a room with a harbour view and I strongly advise to get a harbour view if you're staying for pleasure because it's worth the extra cost.

The breakfast was really good too, good selection and an overall high quality of the restaurants presentation. We plan to come again for my partners birthday in July, hopefully with lots of sun!

Room Tip: Opt for Harbour view if staying for pleasure.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Jodie F,
many thanks for your fantastic review.

We are pleased the hear that you enjoyed your stay here at Thistle Poole and I have passed on your great comments to all departments.
Please feel free to contact me directly to beek your next stay with us.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I've visited 3 times over the last 18 months or so on business and its the only hotel that I thoroughly look forward to revisiting. Its adequate comfort is enhanced by the best staff I have had the pleasure of meeting by a long, long way. They maintain professionalism at all times to a level that you might expect at a 5* Park Lane venue but at the same time are friendly and relaxed.
the restaurant is excellent, looking out at the harbour and despite a limited choice, provides excellent cuisine - I made sure that the chef was complimented
The rooms are always very comfortable at spotless and air conditioned, which seems to be rare these days
Looking forward to my next visit

Room Tip: Any harbour side
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for your fantastic review TPB707.
What great reading this makes for me and my team. Please feel free to contact me directly once you know you will be staying with us again.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed one night on Business recently. The Woman on Reception (French?) was first class, polite, friendly and offered different rooms/floors. The Breakfast room overlooks the Harbour, which was very pleasant as the sun was shining. The hotel overall is a little tired, but more than adequate, and I would have no hesitation in staying here again

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the car park....maybe a harbour view would have been nicer !

Dear William R,

thank you for your kind review. We are updateing the hotel and have fitted a new carpet in the restaurant and bar areas.
I passed on your comments to al relevant departments.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just got back from a 1 night stay at the Thistle Poole. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The room with Harbour view was adequate, comfortable and clean.
We were lucky with the weather and spent a couple of hours sat on the bar patio at the front of the hotel.
Some of the carpet in reception is a bit threadbare and can do with replacement.
Our booking included evening meal and breakfast and I have to say was very reasonably priced.
We did book a table for dinner when checking in, however, on arrival at the restaurant we were informed that no booking had been made. Luckily they had spare tables.

Apart from that we enjoyed our stay and would certainly book this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you can, get a harbour view room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear abers60,

Thank you for your time writing your review.

We are updating the hotel but this will take some time. We have a new carpet installed in the upstairs areas end of this month, but the reception area has to wait a little while.

Hopefully when you come down as see us again you will notice the difference.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stay in quite a few hotels to do with work and there is always something wrong - generally it is to do with the breakfast. However, when I stayed at the Thistle Poole this week it was excellent. I was upgraded to a room overlooking the harbour which was brilliant. The room was clean and well serviced. The bed was very comfortable. I had an evening meal in the restaurant and it was very nice - as was the breakfast in the morning. All the staff I encountered were extremely professional and friending. The hotel is in a fantastic location. I agree with some of the other reviewers that it is slightly 'tired' but don't let this put you off. What it lacks in newness it make up for it in so many other ways. When I next go to Poole I will be asking to stay at the Thistle.

Room Tip: Have a room at the front to appreciate the view over the harbour.

Dear Sarah J,

Thank you for your great review. Apart form our location our team members are making the experience well worth, over and over again. Glad to hear that you enjoyed and appreciated their efforts.
Please feel free to contact me directly for your next stay.

Many thanks

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Good value stay. Room was spotless but a little tired but for the money, what the heck? Staff excellent. Special mention for Bob in the restaurant. Thanks, Bob. Views from the restaurant must be among the best in the country. Could pretend that one of those lovely boats was ours.

Room Tip: do not accept a room on the ground floor at the back of the hotel, they only overlook the car park.

Dear jim7631,

Thank you for your time reviewing the hotel and your great experience.
We have started some refurbishment work and a new carpet for the Restaurant and Bar will be installed by the end of this month.
Our rooms will follow in due course.
Hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel was very nice ,we had a fantastic room overlooking the harbour. The room was nice, clean and tidy. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. At breakfast the staff were very polite and helpful and Bob who served us our breakfast was very polite and friendly. We will certainly be visiting again in the near future.

Room Tip: We've stayed in this hotel twice now, each time in different rooms both have been excellent but...

Dear Shaun H,

Thank you for your excellent review. It is always great to hear that returning guests enjoy their stay with us over and over again.
Please feel free to contact me directly for your next visit.