“Great location with a wonderful view of the harbour”
Review of Thistle Poole

Thistle Poole
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a harbour view room. We were celebrating our anniversary and received a card and chocolates which was lovely. I must thank Ian for his excellent customer service. He showed us to our room so we could check we had a good view! Indeed it was a magnificent view of Poole harbour. The hotel is in such a great location it would be hard to find a better place to stay. Our rate included dinner on the first night and again we had a lovely view from our table. The service was great but there was only one other couple dining but the service was always spot on. The room was clean and comfortable and the wi fi was good. The room had a new carpet and soft furnishings but was quite old fashioned apart from the large flat screen TV but it had everything we needed. There is a very comfortable bar area which we did not have time to use as we went out both evenings. If I had to be picky I would say the breakfast offering was not great, the bread for toasting only consisted of white bread and there should be a choice of wholemeal too. Yes, you do have to pay to park but there are plenty of spaces and it is only a fiver per night.

Room Tip: Always go for a harbour view room and ask for a refreshed room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear SueG56,
Thank you for your kind review, I have passed on your comments to the relevant teams and of course Ian. We very much look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We were made welcome, the staff were helpful and their smiles genuine! The room was clean, well appointed and comfortable. O.K. a view of the car park isn't ideal, but that's not what we were there for. Breakfast was excellent! I can't comment on the evening meals as we were there for a family birthday party and a buffet was provided. I would happily stay there again. My one complaint is that I don't expect to be charged extra to park at a hotel of this standing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear JohnHBuryStEdmunds,
Thank you for your kind review, I have passed on your comments to the teams, and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunatly the car park is not managed or run by us, but we do have an agreement whereby guests pay 50% of the charge which equates to £5.
We look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We were here on a five day visit. First the good bits. Our room was first class but the view of the car park wasn't. The staff were excellent in every way. The breakfasts could not be faulted. The bad bits were minimal, evening meals were a little bland but the service was good. My main grumble was that the hotel charged £5 a day to use their car park. That was a first for me. Having said all that the location of the hotel made up for the bad bits and I think I would visit The Thistle again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Barrie M,
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to here you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunatly our standard rooms do not benefit from a view however we do offer Harbour View rooms, but these are at a supplement upgrade cost.
The car park is not managed by ourselves, but we do have an arrangement whereby guests can park at a reduced price (£5), as opposed to the £10 chargeable to the general public.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Poole in the future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I am reviewing this hotel as I have stayed on business a couple of times and felt I had to comment that for a chain hotel it is very clean and comfortable. Yes, the décor is rather dull and needs updating but it is nevertheless kept very clean and the rooms are very comfortable with all the basics needed for an overnight stay.

The staff were polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view as the other rooms overlook the car park and it seems a waste to not be able to e...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear EandG2009,
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor, and I am pleased you have enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your kind comments on to the team, particularly the housekeeping department. We are currently rolling out a soft refurbishment programme, so hopefully you will notice evidence of this should you stay with us again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

this is a lovely hotel with a fantastic location, right on the harbour, we couldnt fault the staff or the food (breakfast) the hotel was very clean , reception staff we found were very polite and helpful. the view from the hotel room we had was a carpark, but the weather was lovely, we didnt really stay in the room much, poole itself is lovely with lots of pubs with entertainment and places to eat. we can recommend 'STORM' a fish restaurant, but you must book in advance. we had a great stay and will return in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear LBRobins,

many thanks for your kind review. I have passed on your comments to all relevant departments and looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

best regards

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Nice hotel.Location & service very good,Standard of maintenance and furnishing good, However having paid extra for a good sea view room we found the floor covering carpets to be of a very poor standard not in keeping with the hotel generally
The carpet was threadbare torn and split and we considered it unclean, this was reported to the manager.who advised a programme of refurbishment was in progress.
I advised in which case I should not have been charged extra for a substandard room. I have photographed the carpet state, but will await your response before taking the matter further.

2  Thank peter a
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Peter a,
many thanks for your review.
You are correct in saying that we are updating some rooms and have re-carpeted three rooms in the last two weeks. Hopefully we will be able to modernise more rooms during the summer months.
Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I don't normally bother about praising good service as it is now what we expect, however had a fantastic weekend break here with friends & couldn't fault it. the management have put a great attentive team together . treat yourself if on a special occasion & get a room overlooking the harbour for superb views.

Room Tip: get a harbour view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear paul s,
Thank you very much for the time taken to write your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I have passed on your kind comments to all of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Poole in the near future.
Kind Regards