“Overnight stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Poole
Hinckley, England, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

A friend and I booked to stay here the day before we were due to arrive in Poole. Our original departure day was delayed due to ex hurricane Bertha. We were due to be camping on 10th August near Swanage but decided to book in at the Thistle for the Monday night and then see what the wind and weather were the next day. Online booking was very easy & I also booked the parking. We arrived at the hotel at 2pm and were asked if we would like ground floor or first floor room. As we had not booked a superior room with a view of the Quay we were not really bothered on which floor we were on. The polite young man at reception then informed us that we had been upgraded at no extra cost to a superior room with view of the Quay. We then decided that 1st floor would be best. On entering the room it was well presented, tea & coffee making facilities, two bottles of water, slippers & robes were available. As some other reviewers have said the room was rather warm & the windows only partially open( this is for health & safety reasons). There was however a fan in the room which we chose not to use. There were plenty of towels & the bed was a little to firm for my liking but my friend found it to be ideal. Room generally does need some updating but I gather this is in progress & should be completed by 2015. We booked on a room only basis so I can not comment on the food or bars. Overall I was very pleased with our stay at Thistle Poole and would not hesitate in staying or recommending this hotel again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Oliver W,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in Poole - avoiding the wind and rain!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We booked the hotel at the last minute as we went to visit our son, so being a weekend in August we were lucky to find accommodation. The hotel is in a good location and our room was of a good size, with a reasonable bathroom and so suited our needs. If you are a hotel resident, the hotel car park is £5 per 24 hours which is reasonable. Breakfast in the hotel at £14 we thought to be expensive and so we had a very good breakfast in a nearby cafe. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful.

Dear cyrilthesquirrel,
Thank you for your review and I pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I will make sure the team are made aware of your kind comments.
We do offer breakfast at advance at a rate of £10 to residents when arranged through reception, as well as a breakfast menu of cooked to order items so I am sorry you did not join us. Please do feel free to contact me in advance if you do wish to stay with us in the future.
Kind regards,
Kidderminster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife and I stayed a Saturday night in August for 1 night, room only. Hotel is in a great location overlooking the marina in Poole. Very handy to walk into Poole at night to sample the many restaurants. The check in staff were very efficient and the room was adequate for what we wanted. The hotel is a little tired. Our main reason for staying here was to catch an early Condor to Guernsey and for that reason this was a perfect location. It was quite expensive but it was a Saturday night in August

Room Tip: Pick a sea view room
      Cleanliness
Dear Richard W,
Thank you for your review - and I am pleased you found your stay with us to be both comfortable and convienent - I will be sure to pass your kind comments to the team here in Poole.
Steyning, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel is all about location, location, location. The views of Poole harbour are just stunning and you are right bang on the edge of the bustling quay with all the yachts and Sunseekers. You are also close to the ferry terminal. Parking in Poole is often difficult but the hotel has a huge car park and we thought that a parking charge of £5 for 24 hours was reasonable. Our room was a good size, clean and comfortable with lots of hot water available. The Wifi was fast and didn't require fiddling about with a password. On the down side, the communal parts of the hotel do look a bit shabby and the service is rather impersonal. We didn't pre book breakfast on line as it seemed rather expensive and there lots of good cafes and restaurants very nearby. However one morning we tried to eat breakfast in the hotel as my husband had hurt his back. We found that you really have to get to the dining room by 9.30 am although breakfast is supposed to be served until 10 am. We arrived at 9.50 am to find that the buffet was being cleared away by 9.55 am and it had completely disappeared by 10.10 am. Breakfast costs £10 per person and we certainly did not get value for money for the meal. However the overall hotel experience was good value as we had booked a special offer. We were told at reception that rates vary day by day and it's worth looking on line to see when the special offers are coming up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view and eat breakfast in one of the local cafes/ restaurants.
Dear Susan B,
Thank you for taking to time to write your review, and I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. We are currently undergoing a soft refurbishment, which has seen an overhaul of the resaurant and bars, we are now rolling out the programme into bedrooms. I will discuss the issue regarding breakfast to ensure we are offering a top level of service to our guests.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you visit us again
Kind Regards,
Gloucestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Thistle Hotel in Poole, Dorset. The Hotel is a modern bulding of somewhat unprepropessing architecture but set in gardens on the quayside in Poole from where there are fine views over Poole harbour to the National Trust's Brownsea Island.

The staff were all friendy and efficient, the food at dinner and breakfast well cooked and appealing: the range of items at the breakfast buffet was extensive with some extra at a charge.

The hotel was spotlessly clean and well maintained but the bedroom furniture was somewhat dated. The bedroom was very well equipped. the wether was very hot and the room was very hot at night. A fan was supplied which helped!

Only two point of criticism: there was a rarely found grab rail in the shower but set too low which meant I had to hold onto the towel rail to climb out of the bath safely; there was no rubber bath mat provided and although I ordered one from Reception, it did not arrive.

We much enjoyed our stay, not least watching the boats in the harbour both from the Restaurant and our romm and would like to stay there again.

Room Tip: Book a front room (extra charge)
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank William024
Dear William204,
Thank you for taking time to write your review and I pleased you enjoyed your visit to us and Poole. I have passed on your kind comments to the team.
We do provide non-slip bathmats, so I will look into this issue to ensure we have a large supply in stock.
We look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.
Helston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Previous guests stuff was still in the room with half bottles of water lying around. Your chamber staff obviously didn't know the departure date of the guests. We where walk-ins as I had tried to book your hotel a couple of days before, but was told that you were fully booked, to which we fully understand.
The gent on reception made every effort to turn the room around as quickly as possible, to which we commend, but we had to wait an additional 30 minutes so went to the bar area. NO offer of a complimentary drink and we found the overall prices to be very over rated, for the stay and the drink!
Reception did an excellent job in sorting the room, but it shouldn't have been left in the state that we found it in! An offer of complimentary breakfast seemed to be a very late after thought, but what would have happened if I had already paid for breakfast?
I have always found Thistle hotels to be very good, but feel that our stay at Poole was let down by a very simple error with house keeping. We had travelled a very long way and to also be charged for car parking was pretty much the final nail. I understand a parking charge for London, but not Poole. We had a room with a harbour view, which also overlooks the hotel garden. Great place for people to chat and SMOKE! Our room stank of smoke, so I would advise you close your windows before going out for the night! All rooms are non smoking... Overall- Not really happy.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank WheelieBarrow
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear WheelieBarrow,
Thank you for the time taken to write your review. I believe I have contacted you regarding the issues you had during your stay with us. I am pleased you were offered breakfast and I can assure had this been included alternatve compensation would have been offered. I am sorry you felt we were not good value for money on this occassion, but please call me to discuss further on 01200 666800.
Canterbury
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We checked into the hotel on a Thursday for just one night and were VERY disappointed!! Firstly we had prebooked parking and on arrival found it very difficult to find a space as it transpired that non residents could park in the car park if they bought a ticket and there were no reserved spaces. The room was very hot, windows hadn't been left open, no air con and the fan was missing from the room. The sockets didn't work and on phoning down to reception nobody answered and on 2 occasions the phone was picked up and immediately put down.My husband had to go down stairs to sort it out only to find no one on reception! The bathroom lighting was gloomy and only 1 bath towel was provided between 2 of us. We eventually found a maid and asked for more. We were trying to get showered and changed quickly to attend an event and ended up with a handy man in our room trying to sort sockets! In the end due to lack of towels and personnel coming and going I had to forgo a shower. It transpired there was a wedding in the hotel so we could not use all the facilities such as the upstairs restaurant and bar area. Downstairs was full of noisy wedding guests. The noise during the evening from the wedding was very obtrusive. We asked when the wedding disco would finish and were told HOPEFULLY at 12. However the noise outside the hotel after 12 was terrible.On complaining the next day we were given a rebate of £5.00. This is not a cheap hotel with poor facilities. At no time when booking or checking in were we advised about the noisy function taking place so I feel we paid good money for a very poor service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank over50andsmiling
Dear over50andsmiling,
Thank you for your review, and I am sorry you were not satisfied with your stay with us. I would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you - so please feel free to call me on 01202 666800 at a time convenient for you.
Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels