Thistle Poole
US$213
  • Pool
US$246
  • Breakfast included
Premier Inn Poole North Hotel(Poole)(Great Value!)
US$88
Travelodge
US$226
TripAdvisor
1,044 results
All reviewsharbour view restaurantexcellent locationharbour frontfirst floorbrownsea islandper daycar parkingpubs and restaurantsbit datedstayed for one nightwedding receptiona sea view roomhigh streetplenty of parkingafternoon teatown centreshort break
Reviewed 12 April 2009

If only I had read the previous reviews of this hotel before I made my booking on Last Minute.com. Paid £79 per night room only plus £5 per day parking .

We are currently house hunting in the Poole area and had been down from Glasgow the previous week and stayed at the Hotel du Vin Poole (excellent deal on the internet same price at the Thistle £79 per night) and that is where the comparison ends. Hotel du Vin is a heaven, the Thistle is may idea of hell.

We arrived at reception after an 8 hour drive exhausted. Checked in fairly effeciently, went to our room - oh dear, what a drab dreary room it was in bad need of a refurb. Crack in the washhand basin, wall paper peeling above the shelving where the kettle and cups are kept, bathroom light only worked intermittently. To tired to go back to reception, hard bed, even harder pillows (where do they find these pillows), decided to make the best of it. In the morning I boiled the kettle to make coffee and burnt my hand , there was a fault with the kettle making the handle red hot when you go to pick it up to pour the boiling water - this was so dangerous. Luckily I did not drop the kettle and scald myself.

I am now extremely cross (but polite) and tell the receptionist the list of problems with the room and especially the dangerous kettle. She offered to change our rooms and advised if we packed our bags they would transfer them to the new room. We went off for the day, and ever the optomist, I thought maybe we would come back to a nice room with a sea view instead of the concreted car park of the night before by way of 'good customer service', not a chance! We were in Room 111 and had been moved next door to Room 109 - same decor but at least no crack in the washhand basin and the bathroom light worked., once burnt, twice shy, decided not to risk the kettle.

I can only assume that the Thistle management do not ever look at Trip Advisor as none have ever attempted to respond to the complaints which are all exactly the same as mine. We chose not to have dinner or breakfast at the hotel because I felt like I was in a one star establishment and did not feel inclined to part with £12.95 per person for breakfast having felt I had parted with £159.00 for horrible sub standard accommodation. Not only would I never use the Thistle Poole again, I will also steer very clear of any other hotel in this chain.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mercury50
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Attending family wedding Reception had cancelled our room because next booking with similar name wanted twin room when we had booked double room. We would suggest that for a wedding they might have people with same surname!!There was not a manager available so one did feel sorry for the receptionists who seemed to be like programmed robots . Fortunately the wedding reception was very good but nearly every guest had problems booking in and out. the restaurant manager and staff were amazing they were there all the time ,had 2 hours sleep on the Saturday night Slave labour!! We had no hot water on Saturday until lunch time which was not good for people wanting showers etc. b efore 3pm. weddingI am amazed that a hotel with such wonderful views is so uncared for it looks tired and definitely not very clean. We only had one of each soap etc. in adouble room. Where is the Manager!!The bar was badly stocked and the fridge did not work the barman not surprisingly was very miserable.I have never stayed in a Hotel with so many problems.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StitchWarwick
GManager72, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2009

Firstly thank you for taking the time to complete the Trip Advisor feedback. We do regularly review this site and where necessary address any issues with customers direct.
The hotel is undergoing minor redecoration in all of the bedrooms and public areas incorporating the restaurant and bar areas. I can also assure you that once the faulty kettle had been highlighted by yourself it was replaced accordingly.
If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Mark Postlethwaite

Reviewed 9 March 2009

Exterior looks out of place. Position on Quay very good. Rooms very basic - Premier Lodge rooms are better. Bed small, lighting above bed annoying kept hitting it! No upgraded room only upgrade sea view which is very good. Ordered champagne to be there on arrival, staff had to be reminded. Staff not particularly welcoming exception of one member of staff. Breakfast expensive and not much variety, Breakfast Tea on Menu was not it was cheap supermarket brand. Claimed to be Kellogs cereals but no proof as poured into large bowls. They can cook poached eggs though, sliced bread for toast thin and poor quality. Needs bigger beds, heating in bathroom and friendlier staff.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank London50
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Shabby, tired and grim. These are the politest words I could use to describe this hole sorry I mean hotel. Shabby, tired and grim are also the words I would use to describe how I felt when checking out.

Please allow me to explain...

Checking in:
Once the staff behind the closed door in the room behind the reception decided that the person having a coughing fit may actually be try to attract some attention, successfully managed to book both myself and my partner into the standard room I book on laterooms for £80 (room only) plus £5 per night for parking for the first of a planned two night stay.

The room:
We were given a key and direction to room 23. On entering the room we both decided the corridor would be, although in need of a lick of paint and a brief explanation to the staff of the purpose of a vacuum cleaner, a preferred place to sleep. Cold room, heated via an electric wall mounted heater which sounded like a tractor, broken window, wallpaper barely on the walls, stains on the carpet and sofabed, holes on the bed sheet, mold in the bathroom with a ceiling which looked as though it may become the floor at any moment and only one trowel between us, these where the better qualities of the room.

Back to reception:
After another bout of coughing. I was told that the hotel was under renovation and that unfortunately no refurbished rooms where available, we should have left there and then but having travelled all day and the prospect of finding another hotel we decided to stay that night and drink a large bottle of wine with our meal (which we decided to have out) to dull the Thistle experience.

Meal out:
Exception.

Back to room:
Decide to go straight back to reception.

Back to reception:
Coughing followed by polite but vigorous complaining followed by receptionist confess.

Confession summary:
Hotel in not going under refurbishment the owners are not putting any money in as they are deciding whether to sale the hotel to property developers for flats. They receive complaints about to rooms constantly the receptionist was to her credit apologetic and offered to move us to a sea front room, after looking at the same shabby room theme with a view of the sea at night! we stayed put.

So...
So, we slept (a little) complained about having to pay bill for this standard room and left in the morning. Booked into the Hotel de Vin just up the road for £90 a night (Best hotel I have ever stayed in).

Conclusion:
Don't give any of your hard earn money to these clowns.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank neb150772
Reviewed 27 January 2009

I booked this at the last minute and went away with a few friends. we have stayed at other thistle hotels before so decided to travel to Poole.
the best thing about the place is definately the views. it is well worth upgrading to the harbour view rooms.
the rooms are also nicely decorated in a good style. all staff we saw were nice and friendly.
it was good to meet up with my friends and the hotel does help make it a nice relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)