“Poor value for money”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Poor value for money”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a friends wedding which took place in the hotel. Overall we found it to be poor value for money and not worth its star rating.

Room size adequate, with the horrible view of a rusting external fire escape, where the staff congregated to smoke. Bathroom was very small, though the whirlpool bath was a bonus. TV was small by modern standards, and only had freeview and no Sky.

Food was disappointing with breakfast on the first morning's stay being cold and tasteless. You had to order hot food rather than helping yourselves, though the food was served cold in the end. The second morning's breakfast was better, though still very average and relatively tasteless.

The lady on reception was very helpful and chirpy, but the breakfast staff and management were quite off hand and unfriendly.

Wouldn't recommend a stay in the hotel except for great views overlooking Poole Harbour, and the hotel seems to play on that fact with their pricing. Quite a long drive and distance from Poole town centre. Nothing special. Overpriced for an average hotel

3 Thank Sue B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
shropshire
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Very good hotel, well situated in Sandbanks area of Poole. Good rooms and excellent service from attentive staff. Views of Poole Harbour, Sandbanks and Isle of Purbeck are superb.Great restaurant facing Harbour.staff very attentive with excellent sevice.
Food quality is very good with wide choice of dishes,but prices are on the high side.

Room Tip: Request larger room facing car park. Harbour view is more expensive and rooms are smaller.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband went to this hotel for our wedding anniversary weekend. The room itself was lovely with a comfy bed and nice bathroom. On the Saturday night there was a wedding reception being held, hence many unhappy customers. Part of the bar area was closed off to customers. When asked if we could sit at empty tables in the restaurant was told NO as it was only for people eating. This was at 10pm hardly anyone was eating at that time. An elderly lady wanted to sit down and was told to go outside. I could go on but that alone has put me off going back. The wedding party was extremely loud especially when we wanted to get some sleep......

3 Thank Marj65
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Been their many of times went for Sunday lunch all very wonderful xx the service was good we had a two course Sunday lunch for 22 pounds and the children can have half portions which is good as I have a child of 5 and a child of 7 they like it their two

• Stayed September 2013
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Went here for drinks on the terrace to enjoy the view. There had been a small rain shower prior to exiting on to the terrace and as the waiter showed us to a table I had to ask him to fetch a towel to wipe the chair & table, which he handed to me to do myself. Incredulous. I was further stunned when he asked me what I wanted to drink and I asked for a wine list. He looked at me and raised his eyebrows. I said 'wine list' he disappeared and a female waitress came out and said may I help you? I said I only asked for a wine list. She said 'im sorry he is new' I politely told her that if a waiter, all be him new, doesn't understand 'wine list' they need to look at their recruitment procedures! Eventually our drinks were delivered by yet another waiter and dumped on the table. My husband was so irritated at this point he went inside and demanded that they come back out, pore and taste and pore the wine as is customary, even in a dump like a Wetherspoons they do it. We didn't receive any nibbles, olives etc as one would expect from a hotel in such a setting and we had to ask twice for the bill, in the end giving up and paying at the bar. There was then a fiasco over our taxi which is too boring to relay but let me say we will never go back or recommend this place to anyone. Shame as the view is out of this world.

7 Thank Bella00Emma
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in August 2013 and what can I say? Good food, warm service, amazing view and perfect location to nip to the beech or Poole Quay. We found this hotel to be a hidden gem and will definitely be returning.

We booked via booking.com and thought we got a cracking deal.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Austriancrunch
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We booked a harbour view room (306), but it didn't look like those in the photographs, and like a previous review says, was quite small, there was only one armchair and you couldn't sit and look out of the window from where it could be placed!! You could stand between the bed and the window and admire the view, which is stunning and ever changing. In bed, I kept hitting my elbow on the bedside cabinet, and the bed valance was stained but everything else was very good. I'm told you can ask for one of the rooms in the on-line/brochure pictures. The staff were excellent as was the food and wine. The menu changes daily so plenty of choice. And you can use facilities in the sister hotels, two of which are a short walk away.

Room Tip: Ask the question about the room when you book… you may get lucky and get the view you pay for, even...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple