“Excellent, fantastic stay,no complaints”

Harbour Heights Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and i stayed here on the 27th of March 2014 for 2 nights we had room 111. The room was very clean and spacious with all that we needed for a great stay. The bathroom was lovely we had a spa bath with a power shower above so best of both worlds!! and lovely clean white fluffy towels which got changed every morning, it had nice little touches too with complimentary toiletries. Our bed was huge!!! with crisp white cotton sheets and duvets and scatter cushions. We were told we had a view of the car park (inland view)which was ok as we didn't pay top price but we actually had a room around the corner to the car park so we had a view of the trees and half sea view which was nice.

The receptionists were lovely and very helpful and polite as were the other staff. We had breakfast in bed the first morning(£5 per room)which was lovely and hot we just choose of the menu from the room and hung it on our door the night before.

We cannot fault anything about our stay the views are to die for and everything else was fantastic.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

As you will see by the number of reviews I write, I am an experienced traveller. I go to about 10 hotels a year, (although I don't always write a review). You will also see that I am not the sort of reviewer who winges and moans on and on. I always like to give praise where praise is due.
Mum and I had a nice stay here(2 nights) . We enjoyed the food and view from the restaurant towards Brownsea Island. Staff are pleasant.
Our room was on the second floor(205) and was wonderful. The view was SUPERB!
However our stay was spoiled by the single beds that were in the room. They were awful! The softest mattresses we have ever slept on.
My bed was tolerable but I woke up with back ache.
It was worse for my poor mum. She is 74 and had a knee replacement 6 months ago. On the first night( at 1230 am) we ended up pulling the mattress onto the floor because it was so soft. Totally inappropriate. You do not go to a hotel to sleep on the floor.
We complained first thing to the receptionist, Anna who was lovely and she said something would be sorted out for us when we got back at the end of the day. What had happened was NOT what we'd had in mind! When we got back, there was a new receptionist who knew nothing about it! We went back to the room and the mattress was back on the bed with a board under it! We were NOT impressed. We were hoping to be given the opportunity to change rooms and try another mattress.
I appreciate that mattresses are a personal preference but these mattresses were ridiculous,
Incidentally the divan base was stained and worn out, and Mum's duvet was stained with something brown. ( I'm hoping it was coffee!). We had left a note for the cleaners and they had changed it thankfully.
Eventually the manager came up and sat on the bed and admitted it was really soft and admitted that all the mattresses at the hotel are soft. ( really?)
To cut a long story short, we had a lovely meal in the restaurant that night , and he organised for a slight reduction on the food bill. That was a gesture of good will, I guess.
However on the morning of checkout and after ANOTHER uncomfortable night, I had a private word with the receptionist whilst Mum was upstairs. I still felt unhappy about the fact that Mum had been on the floor and just wanted her to know that I was rather disgruntled.
She said she would consult her manager again.
I think next time , we will go to The Haven.
However I want to end on a positive note so here goes...
Despite the appalling beds this is a very nice hotel with the most gorgeous harbour view.
Incidentally, no other reviewers have mentioned soft, old mattresses so that's why I am surprised we weren't offered the chance to change rooms ( there must've been a few available that we could've tried?)

Room Tip: Second Floor Harbour View. room 205 is really large. Jacuzzi bath is great with loads of hot water.
1  Thank JewelHB
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Always enjoy the best hospitality- lovely rooms- food well cooked and presented. Its worth having the experience of this great hotel in a prime position. Many thanks to all the staff for making it a great stay.

m&J

Room Tip: have a front facing room
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We have just returned from three nights at the Harbour Heights Hotel. Everything went perfectly - even to the flowers my husband had arranged for my birthday being in our room when we arrived.

The views from the Hotel are super. Service was first class and we will be returning soon.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and have a harbour view room. The view is well worth it.
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My mother bought us a 2 night stay with a meal as a Christmas present, at this hotel.

Our room (302) was super but for a few things:
1. The floorboards would wake the dead
2. There was no drinking water in the room
3. The kettle has to be inside a cupboard to boil
4. The air conditioning must go somewhere but still - it makes for a very noisy night's sleep

The staff:
The reception staff were very professional
Most of the restaurant staff were great but the manager on the first night we were there was rather snooty (not the very tall one he was professional)

The food
Evening meal - generally good to very good
Breakfast - Sllllow in coming and ok but I should think that a man would want much more
The 'freshly squeezed' orange juice was certainly not so, it was extremely sweet (I squeeze my own oranges at home so know the taste)

The view is, I should think, lovely from the front rooms. The location is great and generally I would say that as a 3 star it is fine but I imagined that 4 stars would have a few extras such as a porter and drinking water in the room.

FINALLY
We had called ahead and asked whether they has a gym and we were told 'no'. Once there we found a leaflet folded away in the room which said that the hotel guests had access to a gym/spa in a sister hotel! Both of us would have used that, so it was irksome at the least that we couldn't as we hadn't brought the right clothes with us.

2  Thank Wrin
Reviewed 19 March 2014

What a great hotel this. It is brilliantly situated just above the bay and provides wonderful views across to Brownsea Island. It is only a short walk to the bay or ten minutes to the small high street of Canford Cliffs which has a number of restaurants.

Our room was a good size and plenty of room for an extra bed. Well fitted out and very clean and modern. Staff throughout our stay were very friendly.

Breakfast and dinner served in large room with great views. Food was wonderful!

1  Thank jake b
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Wow, had the most lovely stay with my husband. Our room was on the 3rd floor with the most wonderful view over looking sand banks and Poole harbour. Weather and hotel was perfect. Enjoyed a lovely relaxing breakfast taking in more of the views. A definate must, Thankyou to all the staff for making our stay wonderful.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking Poole harbour, fabulous sunsets.
1  Thank Susanjayne66