“Overpriced and over rated”
Review of Haven Hotel

Haven Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Just returned home from a 2 night stay at the Haven Hotel,Room was clean and nice but the corridors looked liked 1920s
Long walk to my room,up many stairs as the lift only goes to the second floor
Paid £235.00 per night,Worth half of this
4 star hotel!!!! Not for me

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mikey999999999
Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed 8 June 2011

I dined in the restaurant part, recently and have done so several times.
The food is exquisite, service reasonable and the views stunning.
My only critizism is the price, but then again you pay for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IKAV
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I have visited Sandbanks many, many times, seeing the hotel but never staying in it. I booked a dinner, bed and breakfast deal from the hotel web site and paid a supplement for a sea view room. The day we stayed was very windy and the room we were allocated had a piece of loose guttering outside which was flapping noisily in the wind. We told reception and they immediately changed our room which set the scene for our stay. The views from the room and the rest of the hotel are spectacular. The room itself, on the third floor, was good, nicely furnished, comfortable and clean. The bathroom could have been good but was let down by a faulty shower and dirty, stained bath taps. It was as if the room had been refurbished and the old fittings put back.
Dinner was excellent, served on the terrace looking out at the sea. The staff were all friendly and attentive. The spa pools were warm and spacious however the only way to and from them for hotel residents appears to be through the dining room!
Breakfast was perfectly adequate.
I agree with a previous reviewer who said that the entrance to the hotel was difficult to find from the rear car park. Signage in the hotel could be improved.
It is worth paying a £1 for a return foot passenger trip on the chain ferry for the beaches and heather walks on the other side.
We had a delightful stay in this hotel and I would definitely return.
P.S the trio of chocolate puddings I had for dessert were probably the best pudding I have had anywhere!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MAXINEOxford
Reviewed 14 May 2011

When we arrived we receptists asled curtly "Can I help you!?) Not good afternoon, welcome to the Haven Hotel or something like this. The room was supposd to be a ouble suprerior but it was not much bigger that a single room, the bathroom was a joke you couldn't swing a cat! Walk down the stairs a you have a of all the pots and pans in the kitchen! The meal was disgraceful , the one menu was on a tattly bit of A4. The meal was credited, of course! rooms cost twice what they should do and they have the arrogance to ask for a £65 per person non returnable deposit. We booked for three nights and left after two!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank tony_aston
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I booked a spa day to celebrate a special birthday with my three daughters. It was very difficult to find a date taking into account work and family commitments, but I was delighted to be able to make a booking in June.

The Hotel phoned yesterday to say my booking was cancelled as the spa was being refurbished, THEY MUST HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS WHEN I BOOKED. We are all very disappointed and the birthday ruined.

DON'T BOOK; WITH THIS HOTEL - THEY MAY FLIPPANTLY RUIN YOUR PLANS TOO.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank janetaylor51
HotelResponsePoole, Manager at Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Thank you for your comments janetaylor51 and I’m sorry we had to cancel your booking at our Health and Beauty Spa.

We’d like to reassure you that when we took your booking, we hadn’t finalised our plans.

We’re making a significant change to our outdoor leisure facilities, as well as some redecoration to the front reception to our leisure centre. We were planning to continue to operate the spa while the work was taking place. However, after we reviewed our contingency plans with our builders, we felt we would be putting you at risk of injury to keep the spa open. Because of this, and to speed up the refurbishment process, we decided to close the spa.

I’m sorry we’ve disappointed you and I understand our General Manager Mark, has been in contact with you and offered a good will gesture because of the short notice.

Reviewed 1 May 2011

Firstly, it would be nice for the entrance to be clearly marked - found after 10 mins searching at the "back" of the hotel! The staff were pleasant and helpful. We asked about the hotel menu for the night and waited 3 hours before it materialsed. Our room had a sewage smell but the management were very good and moved us to another room, albeit upgrading us at the same time. Spent a lovely afternoon on the terrace, the views were fantastic and the company great. We stayed here on a spring deal but I would have to say that if we had paid the full rate we would have been very dissapointed.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cazzerking
Reviewed 26 April 2011

stayed as part of large family group, loved it all. Not the best hotel I have stayed in but very relaxing. Ideal for those with chldren as right on beach and close to ferries to brownsea: indoor and outdoor pool.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family