“A Break”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A Break”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

At last have done the Haven hotel Sandbanks, and it was good, Really good service, room was excellent, asked for a fridge and it was no problem, Location was as good as it gets if you want to be by the sea,
If the weather is grim then this is the hotel to stay as there is plenty to do indoors, Pool, steam room etc. The breakfast was excellent. If there is a down side i think the evening menu could be better, as the choice is not great, i did speak to some people who were eating out as they thought the choice was not poor.
But what food i did see going past my table looked great.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms could do with better signs to find the lift and stairs etc.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Greek first
Barking, ESSEX
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We booked a weekend away via Secret Escapes and felt a little bit disappointed. We had a big room, it was warm and cosy on a blustery weekend but so much about the overall experience was a let down. To start we ate in the bar on the first night and £9 for 2 pints of Coke is a rip off no matter where you're buying it!! I clearly placed and order for 2 meals and the waitress laid the table for 2 people but when the food appeared there was only one meal! And as it was a Brie and Bacon Panini surely that would be wonderful in such a high class establishment. Wrong!!! It had very little Brie inside but LOTS of very fatty bacon. We shared the meal but it was disappointing that the order had been so misunderstood and spoilt the first night a little.

We retired to our room which as stated was warm and cosy and of a very good size for a standard room. It was very clean and the lighting was good. The bathroom had a good deep bath but tiles under the sink were broken which is a shame as things like that let the place down. We'd also noticed that the wallpaper under the bedroom window was stained as though water had got on to it. We decided to watch TV that evening but annoyingly the TV's volume was set to a whisper as its loudest setting which was really annoying. Another thing that we didn't like was the fact that the sound insulation was so poor that we could hear people in the surrounding rooms using the toilet!! NOT good. And surely the fire evacuation route should be clearly signposted in all hotels?

Breakfast the next morning was disappointing as it's a buffet style, serve yourself affair which we weren't expecting in a 4 star hotel. I'm sure the food was of good quality but it hadn't benefitted from being kept warm under heat lamps. But we had enough to eat and on subsequent mornings we ordered Eggs Benedict which was very good, probably because it was cooked to order.

On our 2nd day we had The Haven Cream Tea in La Roche Restaurant but again this was disappointing. I had assumed that one of the sandwiches was Cheese and Cucumber but no it turned out to be very thickly spread butter and not cheese. We've had Afternoon Tea in several different establishments and this was not as good as other places we've been to.

The setting is stunning and the views are magnificent. Had we known that our standard room overlooked the car park we'd have opted for a sea view but that didn't spoil things for us as we only had to walk outside to see the views.

To sum up, it feels like a substandard 3 star hotel. Indeed we've stayed in 3 star hotels, and even in B&Bs, where the food is of a much higher standard and it really was a disappointment to us. On the surface things look very grand but dig a bit deeper and it's not as grand as it would like to believe it is.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room.
1 Thank Goose1954
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Strange, but after living in the area for 35 I've never been in this hotel before......what have I been missing.

Stayed three nights over last weekend, ok, it was a good offer so the room didn't quite overlook Studland and the harbour, but fair enough. In fact the room was the only downside, as the soundproofing could be better, as you can hear next door talking.

That said, the room was perfectly clean, very well maintained, had great blackout curtains that fitted well and a good sized bathroom with a powerful shower.

What really impressed me, was the staff. Reception, bar, restaurant, housekeeping, all perfectly professional in that beautifully informal/natural way you find in the far east. No pretence, no false smiles, but a great atmosphere and attitude. I can often turn a blind eye if the fabric of a hotel is wanting, (and the fabric is very good indeed here) but for me, it's the staff who make or break any hotel. This one certainly has a wow factor on that score. Was there one thing that surprised me? Yes....in many very good hotels around the world, it's the night team who can let the rest down, not here! On the three evening we returned late, different night staff served/reopened he bar with the aplomb and entertaining chat of professional barmen. That for me was a wonderful advertisment for this hotel, thank you.

The food is very good, breakfast is well organised and unhurried, even on a busy Sunday morning, and the views, well...........someone remind me again why I've never stayed here before. There can be few hotels anywhere with the view the Haven has......ok, maybe the Sheraton Falls at Niagara or the Shangri-La Sydney, the entrance to Poole Harbour may be less iconic, but it's pretty stunning.

The standards are such, that I know this wasn't just a lucky stay, this is one very good hotel. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea-view room! Even on a rainy day.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at The Haven a few times. We go for a weekend break and R&R away from the stresses of London. What brings me back to this hotel is the views and beach. We always stay in a room with balcony, which looks onto the beautiful sea. I love laying in bed looking at the sea, reading the papers. The room is not luxurious, I think it had been repainted, but the bathroom is basic and the furnishings are mdf style. The breakfast is quite standard for a hotel, it was ok, but the staff struggled to keep it all going on the weekend. However again the views of the sea made the breakfast taste better. The la Roche restaurant menu was not extensive, the food was ok and enjoyable. I would not say it was amazing, it is convenient going downstairs to eat. We also ordered room service, the menu was not big, but good food and we ate on the balcony. The spa is lovely, a good gym, the steam and hydro pools were good, but the best was the hot tub looking out to the ocean. The spa has replaced all its furniture and loungers, so much better. The direct access onto the beach is great for long walks. The staff are so friendly. The hotel has a certain type of clientele which is also why I return, it's not your typical 'seaside' hotel. I will return again, I miss the sea view already.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had a 2 night, 3 day stay at the Haven hotel, part of the fjb group, the food was very good and staff very professional, i would recommend this hotel for a relaxing stay, with great views from the bar and restaurant. I would single out Connor, from the restaurant for great service, and congratulate the general manage, Mr John Belk, for running a superb hotel.

Room Tip: upgrade to a sea view
Great Bookham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Two of us stayed here at the beginning of October, our first visit. Our room was fine, breakfast excellent and a marvellous choice. However, it seemed impossible to get well cooked meat for the main course at dinner. Husband had fish, which was good. First night I tried duck, which I asked for 'well done' - it was pink, I ate about half of it. Second, recklessly, I tried chicken, two miserable legs, it didn't taste good, I ate a small amount - later I made many rapid visits to the bathroom, luckily I had imodium with me. A very poor experience. We had hoped to return here and our friends were also awaiting the result of this trial visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean F
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed numerous times at this hotel and we have come to the conclusion that for value for money the car park view room is the best. This is due to the fact the rooms are bigger, the bed is bigger, the tv is bigger and they arent as neglected as the sea view rooms. When we got to the hotel we said the same things to ourselves "it could do with a paint job" "they seem to neglect the people that come here the most" etc (we still come back for the location like all the others). We were told by some poor bloke who was paying almost £1000 for his family to stay for three nights that he was chased out of the restaurant for a soft drink, that they failed to add to the bill and that this had tipped him over the edge to not come back. Something still needs to be done about the outside pool, I was told it was 24/26 degrees on two occasions... If it is that warm why do I almost go into shock and struggle to breathe when I get in? I also see that they are finally using branded glasses at the bar so the beer doesn't go instantly flat. Good move to be honest for the amount you pay for it! Furthermore the overall feel of the hotel from a few months ago feels cleaner. Almost forgot to add... on the last day I was down for breakfast at 730,food didn't come out till 745 and the sausages were still raw in the middle. Be warned...

This review is from someone who doesn't moan very often but I feel the hotel could certainly do with a face lift and it is about time you listen to your customers. DECORATE THE HOTEL, SORT THE SEA VIEW ROOMS OUT ESPECIALLY 214 WITH THE MASSIVE CRACK IN THE SINK (you have been told three times by me, and that's JUST me!) AND TREAT LOYAL CYSTOMERS WITH A BIT MORE RESPECT BECAUSE YOU ARE LOSING THEM. Many thanks

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mbates84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poole
Harbour Heights Hotel
Thistle Poole
#6 of 13 in Poole
Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge
Holiday Inn Express Poole

Been to The Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!