“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Poole
London
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Attended wedding in Poole and stayed at the Haven,beautiful spot, rooms comfortable maybe dated but clean, with great view over the harbour. Staff are are very professional and I would stay again. Restaurant good value and great views with helpful staff.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking harbour a must.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We came to stay here for a family event for my partners parents wedding anniversary as when they use to take all there family holidays in the area when the children were young.

When arriving at the hotel we were met at the door and the porter who was very nice he took our luggage and we checked in we had a corner suite which was ok a bit basic but on closer inspection there were dirty marks on the walls round the light switches and paint flaking of the walls in areas but apart form that the room was really comfortable and clean.
As we had a nice hot summer I went to switch the air conditioning on but it kept coming up with an error message but wasn’t the end of the world. Later that day when we went to the pool I mentioned to the receptionist that it wasn’t working and if someone would take a look in case I was doing something wrong, I got a blank look from here but I guested she had taken in.
When we came up that evening to change for dinner there was a letter on the desk “we are sorry the air conditioning is broken and we have been waiting for a part to arrive, if you need a fan please go to the front desk where one will be supplied” Now this I thought was unacceptable not only had they sold us a room at full price (which for what we got I thought was horribly overpriced but it wasn’t my choice it was a family trip) but obviously the reason I had said it wasn’t working is because I wanted it on so why they felt it wouldn’t have been a good idea to put a fan in the room while they were up there was completely beyond me.
I have to say the main bar was nice and the staff there were very friendly as where the waiting staff at breakfast.
The staff at the pool bar however nice and friendly they were they also liked to have in-depth conversations with each and felt that this was much more important than serving their guests. At one point there was 4 of them behind the bar 2 of them looking directly at me as I stood about 4ft away from them all of them chatting away I actually had to say “if I’m not interrupting could I order a round of drinks” this was met with a half scowl. Now you may think I’m being fussy but I work in a hotel and that behaviour is unacceptable at no point for the 2 days we were there did I see a manager come out a check the staff at the pool and the point they were all discussing the hotel and people who worked in it, in good ear shot of the guests I thought was very unprofessional. However as I said they were all very friendly but in need of some customer service training.

The day we checked out I mention the air con incident to the receptionist and about the note once again a blank look, no sorry, no is there anything we can do. I said “I thought we deserved a rate reduction as we hadn’t got what we had paid for” but again nothing…….? So with all my partners family in ear shot I wasn’t going to start ranting so I just smile paid the bill and walked off, however I did write a letter to the manger but never heard back.

As a hotel receptionist myself I very rarely writer a bad review on staff but I am also aware of the level of customer service that guests should receive in our industry and this hotel did not come anywhere close to it.

To sum it up it was alright, the views were nice and it was clean but for the cost of the room I would have rather stayed in a much cheaper hotel if I was ever in the area again. Hopefully with better customer care.

Room Tip: find a cheaper hotel in the area
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LOVES_A_HOLIDAY_85
London
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Simply the best views over the sea to the Isle of Purbeck. Excellent reception staff and bar staff. Communal and bar areas in very good condition. Not so bedrooms- in need of updating. Other reviews have been critical of the restaurant. We didn't dine there, but our friends did and were not impressed - expensive and food not hot enough. Breakfast though was well up to standard. Pool area was perfect, especially the steam room. Big criticism though that the public were allowed to wander through the area in outdoor shoes. Surely a health hazard.
Is it a 4* hotel? No; top end of 3* probably.
Would we return. Oh yes for sure, for the happy, helpful staff and stunning, stunning views.

Room Tip: Try not to get one overlooking the main entrance. A delivery van calls there each morning between 5...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Wiltshire UK
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I attended a friend's 80th birthday lunch at the Haven Hotel a week or so ago. As I had things to do in the area next day, I decided to stay overnight. Their off-season late booking B&B price of £54.95 seemed very good value, so I went for it. I knew what to expect as I have stayed before. Although the communal areas are a bit dated in places, the room modern, clean and well equipped, if small. It had a balcony with great views out towards Old Harry rocks and the Isle of Purbeck. Breakfast was excellent. As well as dining in their "La Roche" restaurant at lunchtime, I dined there in the evening with a friend. The food was OK, with out being exceptional. Portions are fairly small and you need three courses to feel you have had a good meal, which at virtually £30 feels expensive for what you get. The range of menu choices is also small with about 5 mains, and the lunchtime and evening menus had a very similar feel. On every visit I have made the menu has had Creedy Chicken on it (whatever that is). I love the location, the staff were efficient and polite, the room was lovely and well priced, but please revamp the restaurant offering.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jerry1953
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We booked the Haven as it had been a firm favourite of ours in the past. However when I read some of the reviews on here I almost cancelled ! Glad I didn't, the hotel is as charming as ever, the room we had was in excellent condition with comfy beds , great shower , TV that worked and a great view. Breakfast was of a good quality and plentiful. The outdoor pool was warm enough to swim in, in November - so we did! The staff were , without exception , helpful, friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. The bar drinks are expensive and for the price they could have been colder. But what a view! You could be on a 1930's ship with the large glass windows and fabulous views of the sea surrounding the bar. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

All pretty average. We took a suite and was surprised that small touches such as gowns and slippers were missing. The sister hotel, Harbour Heights provided these.

Clean room with good sea view. Breakfast was self serve and average.

Staff very friendly and helpful.

The place does need a refurb, seems stuck in an original refurb if many years back. Great building with which they should do more. Could be spectacular.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kingston upon Thames
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Couldn't be in a better location for the chain ferry, with wonderful views of the sea around the hotel. Lovely to relax in the bar and watch the sunset over the water with a good glass of wine. Room was dated and in need of a serious refurb but everything we needed was there and it worked. Staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfasts variable-it depends what time you get there as the hot buffet can be really good or sad and dried out; might be better if they replenished a little but often to keep everything fresh. Good and varied cold buffet, and a reasonable selection of made to order dishes including eggs royale at no extra cost. Didn't use the spa or the restaurant in the evening so can't comment on these. All in all we had an enjoyable stay and would happily visit again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poole
Sandbanks Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Poole
Grand Hotel Swanage
Grand Hotel Swanage
#1 of 5 in Swanage

Been to The Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!