“better than expected”
Review of Haven Hotel

Haven Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I booked this hotel for a short break in December. I wanted to take my wife away as it was her Birthday. I wanted a hotel where I could base myself for cycling, walking and kayaking in the Pool area. I was a bit worried that the hotel would be 'stuck up' as we are just average people without all the latest, pretentious designer clothes Etc. I was very pleasantly surprised, we were treated well by the staff, not one put on any 'airs and graces'. I wanted somewhere to store our bikes, no problem, they locked them away for us and got them out when we needed them. To me, it is the staff that make a hotel and they were first class.

Mind you the Spa helped! Outdoor Pool (heated), hot tub, indoor pool, steam room, sauna, gym, all very nice and again the staff were very helpful and pleasant.

The room was good with a harbour view, it was a bit obstructed by a block of flats but that can't be helped, I am sure they would have moved me if I asked. The room was ample size, it could have done with satellite TV and the bathroom ceiling needed a bit of attention but the decoration of the bedroom was pleasant and with a balcony, who could ask for more? I still think it was a bit overpriced but there were plenty of staff working at all times and if the reduced the prices you may end up with one person trying to do ten jobs as you do in many places. The Restaurant and Bar were overpriced and the menu was limited, this was reflected in the fact that so few people were using them. There are a good selection of these at Pool Quay, not very far away. I think if the prices were reduced people would come from outside of the Hotel to eat as the quality was good. Breakfast was included in my booking and you would be very hard pressed to complain about the breakfast, Superb! (trouble is I put weight on).

only down side for me was the noisy fire door outside the room, banging all night. It kept waking me up but again, I should have told someone as I am sure it would have been sorted.

I am 'picky', can't help it but, I would definitely go back to the Haven.

Room Tip: Rooms at front, overlooking sea or harbour are good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,582)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stay in this area 2-3 times a year visiting family. So hard to find even decent value for money, places are tired, worn, shoddily updated at best. We decided to try a 3-night last minute b&b rate, £79 a night at the Haven. The room was very large, clean, excellent shower over tub, two sinks.

The highlight are the beautiful public rooms, breakfast room, bar, restaurant have fantastic views--you feel as if you're on a cruise ship. Food was excellent, staff helpful, attentive. We stayed there first week in December, concerned about all the Christmas parties but staff were helpful in finding parking after we'd gone out to dinner. Despite our room being over one of the banquet rooms we heard virtually no noise.

After a very stressful trip to the States this hotel was an excellent respite. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Our rate was for a standard room, sea view was £30 more per night. The room faced the car park but...
Reviewed 9 December 2013

the Haven ticked all the box`s this year, great room with sea view, top class food and good pool area all we needed for our xmas party stay. its best to stay at front of hotel as these have the best view

Reviewed 4 December 2013

The Haven Hotel has a wonderful position at the end of the Sandbanks peninsula. The double room overlooked the car park, was spacious with a large double bed but the furniture was a bit tired. The food and the service were very good.
At check out no invoice was available, an emailed invoice was promised. Unfortunately the invoice for someone else was sent to me, complete with his name and address.
All attempts to obtain my invoice have meet with silent indifference.
I would suggest that if you stay at this hotel, be very careful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Player66
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We have just returned from a lovely few days at The Haven. We paid for an upgrade to a sea view delux room. Although the view was great the room, didnt really feel that delux, but it was clean and comfy. Although the bed made an odd noise whenever you sat on it (218). Some parts of the hotel feel a bit dated, others quite luxurious. The spa was a lovely facility and my wife enjoyed a few treatments. The gym was prehaps the best and most modern equipped I have seen in a hotel. I'd love to come back in the summer and make use of the outdoor pool and beach. Although I suspect it may get a but busy/cramped.

We stayed using the Amazon promotion, which I flet was briliant value. The food in the La Roche restaurant was excellent and staff service very good across the whole hotel. I'd happily recommend it and can see myself coming back.

Thank Needmoreholdiays!
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Not often do you go away and everything goes smoothly - from checking in - to checking out!
Lovely hotel, attentive staff, fantastic breakfast and of course the wonderful location - all in all, made this a totally stress free break - Thank you

Room Tip: Pay the extra and upgrade - the room and view is worth it!
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Great location right on the beach and harbour entrance.
Standard room was small - but well equipped, even had a Jacuzzi and a lovely powerful shower, and was given a sea view.
Room decor a bit dated, but in good condition throughout.
Had a very good meal in La Roche restaurant - recommended. Meal good value, but wine list overpriced. A bottle of average Prosecco that costs £7.99 in any supermarket shouldn't cost a much as what was a very nice 3 course meal. Nor should a shot of lime in a larger cost £2.30. These things stopped me rating it higher.
Hearty breakfast with plenty of choice.
Excellent service in the restaurants and throughout the hotel.
Spa looked very good though we didn't have time to use it. Outdoor pool looked very inviting too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple