“No better spot to watch the world go by”
Review of Haven Hotel

Haven Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The weather was lovely and sitting outside on the terrace watching the boats come and go was just so relaxing. Our two day break was perfect. Pleasant, spacious room, well equipped and comfortable bed. Although we heard the chain ferry as expected, it finished around 11.00 pm and didn't really bother us. The food was very good and we ate in the hotel restaurant on both nights. Service, both at reception, in the spa and in the bars and restaurant was efficient and friendly. We will return.

Room Tip: Be aware that you can hear the chain ferry on rooms on the ferry side of the building
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jaanbec

995 - 1,001 of 1,521 reviews

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights in March for a wedding party. Great atmosphere in this large seafront hotel, breakfast and evening catering was also of a very high standard. Suited the occasion very well and definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank greenfen
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The facilities were great and the food was delicious. The only problem we encountered was operating the TV. The instructions were terrible and even the staff struggled to sort it out. All in all it was a really enjoyable break in a family friendly hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Booking this hotel I had great expectations as I was visiting relatives on Poole Quay and they recommended the hotel group as they used the other hotels a lot.
Arriving with my 19 month son, a car with all the things you need to take a toddler away for two days and found that there was not much room to park and get him out the car safely. After getting up to the room which was a challenge as I asked on booking for a room near the lift with no stairs as I have a pushchair. I get a room that I have to go up stairs to. No other rooms available that would fit a cot in. Each time I came out the lift I have to go up the stairs to reception to either use the exit with a ramp for the pushchair or I had to go out the front door and down the steps.

Only as I was leaving and my complaint that nothing was done about did two members of staff rush to my aid to help me and my luggage to the car. To only try get back in the disabled entrance to find the door was locked. Poor efforts
The room (133) its self was clean BUT the stained carpets and water stains on the wall paper, and scorch marks where hair straighteners have been left on the dresser, this was not what I wished for when paying so much for my trip. The bed was in need of replacing, every time I turned over it sounded like the springs were going to drop out, the tv did not work properly and the CD player on the wall I think is very out dated. I think that the hotel needs to have a refurbishment to match the standards of the other two hotels that belong to the same group on Sand Banks.

The location is amazing and could not be more perfect. It just needs bringing up to the modern day but still keeping its charm. The staff that worked the breakfast shifts were lovely and could not do enough for myself and my little boy. The breakfast buffet was very impressive and set you up for the day. I would not return here again, shame as I thought it would be perfect for a beach holiday with my little boy.

Room Tip: Try booking a sea view room, they look like on the pictures to of had a bit more done to them the ro...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie L
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed as a 1 night 'stopover' not the cheapest of hotels, but a view to make anyone smile.
The food, again, was lovely -we ate in the bar (had a big lunch before) and even though just a bite it was delicious.
My tip would be to ask for a seaview or harbourview room, granted they cost more, but it's worth it!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beequey
Reviewed 18 May 2014

WELL,…. you can't fault the location, the bar and terrace looks over the entrance to the harbour, boat and people watching whilst taking a fine wine.

As to the hotel, many rooms have sea views, a few just look at the car park, however they all seem lovely, ours certainly was. We were there for a weekend function. What was excellent, the food was lovely the staff were polite and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. One afternoon around the pool getting some snacks and drinks the service was slightly lacking, I'm guessing to due to staff shortage, plenty of apologies then a chef came out with bowls of complementary fries and again another apology, 'Our service was a bit slow with the food today' he said. 'These chips are a small sorry'. You can't fault it when they know it occasionally goes wobble and they rectify in a straightforward manner.

And the weather as a bonus was also great.

The group about 120 in number all ate together, the menu was beef and roast veg…one word…stunning. Hot and the meat melted in your mouth. Again staff were excellent, we had a cheese board for our table, i asked for some extra stilton, not easy when you have so many to serve, it took about 3 minutes to arrive, a small item but again an example of polite and attentive service.

We shall return soon.

PS… and as to the breakfast, a buffet hotel english breakfast can be sometimes ageing under heat lamps, here it was again excellent …not big bowls with dry food, small dishes regularly attended and refilled with freshly cooked food, again well done.

Room Tip: Pay a small amount more for a balcony and sea view its a beautiful location.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank RJBCNB
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We booked our friend over from the States into the Haven on the 13th May, he said it was lovely, room was clean, service was good and view was amazing. We joined him for a meal on the Thursday, the meal was fantastic, services was good but I think they were short staffed ! The bar area and lounges were clean and well decorated, we will be returning, and recommend a visit .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poole
Sandbanks Hotel
#6 of 13 in Poole
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
#17 of 66 in Bournemouth

Been to Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!