“Great location, do not book basic room.”
Review of Haven Hotel

Haven Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had a one night stay. Great location looking over Poole harbour entrance. Watch the boats coming in and out. We had a basic room and it was clean and tidy but frosted windows as there was only a view over the kitchens etc. Book a sea view and you will not be disappointed. Breakfast is total DIY even collect Tea/coffee. I will go back but have a little more cash in my pocket.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,581)

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I booked as a suprise for my sister an Ocean Escape Spa day at the Harmony Spa in the Haven Hotel complex. This consisted of 1 x 30 minute treatment each, lunch or afternoon tea and use of all facitilities. Whern I booked the package I explained that we would not be arriving until approx 11 am as my sister was travelling from London that morning. We were therefore booked in for 1 x treatment at 11,30 am and 1 at 12 noon, with tea at 3pm. On arrival at 10.45 am we were informed that we were BOTH having a treatment at the same time of 11 am! Not really a problem,although did not give us much time to relax beforehand. The treatments were OK, but we have had better elsewhere. We relaxed around the small pool area (not enough room/beds for the capacity) until 3 pm and were taken into the restaurant for our afternon tea. There was 1 other couple waiting and we had to wait 40 minutes before we got our tea and the staff were scarce during this time and not really interested in looking after us at all. When our tea items arrived we had no plates, etc, so had to wait until we saw another member of staff appear (about 10 mins) and go and ask them for plates. The quality of the sandwiches was poor and the bread was a little hard, as if they hasd been left out in the sun. During our tea we witnessed guests waiting around to be served, etc and we likened the whole experience to an episode of Fawlty Towers! As I had treated my sister to this, I was a little embarrassed by the poor quality of service/goods we had received on the day. Would I reoommend or return to this Spa? A definite NO.

Room Tip: I personally would not stay here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Was with my boy having a fun day on the beach and I suggested we went to grab some food from the pool café to eat on the beach. we were not residents. I did expect to pay higher than normal prices but when I got my pizza to share I felt like a typical tourist to the area ie ripped off, mugged and taken for a fool. The pizza was a measly 8" to share at a bargain price of £9.50 along with 2 half bottles of coke (200ml) at £2.50 a pop. Being on the beach I was amazed they didn't have takeaway boxes so had to carry this measly, dripping with grease, mediocre pizza on greaseproof paper ( it started off as greaseproof but by the time we sat down it was literally dripping). Why do Bournemouth and Poole hotels feel they need to milk every pound out of people. I'm sick and tired of seeing it and as a consultant to the restaurant industry I see it every day. Greed and lack of respect for people will come back and bite your backside.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank james s
Reviewed 26 July 2014

A fantastic location, but very overpriced for a 4 star hotel.
The view from the balcony was great but could do with a paint here and there.
Breakfast was OK but disappointing as we had to get our own tea and coffee which in past times the waiters have brought to our table, unless you wanted a cappuccino etc were you had the choice to use the machine.
Sat down for lunch seemed to be ignored so after 25 mins went out of hotel to a bar just along the road.
We had air con but heard others clients at reception asking for fans.
Reception staff very good. Didn't really feel dinning staff wanted to be there they all looked fed up. Definitely not 4 star service think hotel riding on back of its location. Such a shame.

Room Tip: Make sure you have air con.
4  Thank sam c
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Honestly more 3 star than 4 star..... which in my experience is typical of many coastal hotels in England. Car parking is very awkward. Again, the offer of a spa, but no surprise when half the parking spaces are taken by people who are local members of the Spa rather then residents of the hotel.

Rooms on the 3rd floor in the roof void are dreadful with no lift access. (I suspect would be impossible to sleep in hot weather as the rooms would all be like saunas - with only a fan to mitigate) They should be overflow rooms at 50% of price. I would not accept such a room and after some discussion was provided with an alternative on the 1st floor.

The restaurant is good value with the service being OK.... a combination of very young or foreign waiting staff.

As I say, a good location but easy to understand many of the comments which broadly find the hotel disappointing.... but I know my Nan really would love it! :-D.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor.
3  Thank Chelsea605
Reviewed 24 July 2014

A visit for lunch. Ignored so had to ask for menu after 20 mins. It took another 10mins to come then 10 for order to be taken. 30 minute wait for food - just sandwiches. Waiters inefficient e.g one drink brought at a time. Refused to pay discretionary service charge and they didnt seem bothered. It was not busy approx 12 covers, many just having a drink. Three waiters. Two supervisors. I blame hotel and supervisors. This was a repeat trip to Sandbanks after 4 years and we had exact same experience.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Scottla52
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Had a great couple of days at Sandbanks , spent meny a lovely time there when we were kids with our Uncle and Aunt who lived there , lots of vey happy memories ! The beach is lovely and do go on the ferry over to Studland and visit Corfe Castle !

Room Tip: Ask for one that overlooks the beach
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family