“Terrible, don't go...”

Sandbanks Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poole
“Terrible, don't go...”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Really dated, overpriced and on a really busy, small over rated beach. We were so disappointed. The pool was in the basement and was deserted by staff. The kids facilities were poor, not what we'd hoped for at all. The head waiter was rude when we suggested we were seated away from the only other couple dining in the restaurant due to our 8 month old being noisy. His response was that he'd offered us a table, take it or leave it... And that the restaurant would be full shortly. There were 4 tables in by the time we left. Food was poor at dinner, although the breakfast staff and food were a definite improvement. The bar area is the only half decent part of the hotel, and thank goodness, there was nothing else to do. Save your money, or go somewhere like Lime Wood for the same money - unbelievably!!! I think the hotel can only survive because of its address.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank Evspencer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We had a very relaxing 3 day break at the beginning of February. The staff were all very friendly and keen to please and all spoke very good English, althought often not their first lanugage. The food in the dining room was of a good standard (my only complaint is they ran out of crossiants at breakfast on Saturday morning). It was a cold weekend -2 degrees on arrival with snow overnight but the hotel was toasty warm. The bedroom was large with smart decor and fairly new (excellent powerful shower - room 129). The mattress looked brand new and was comfortable. There was refurbishment ongoing - but not during the weekend and very low key on the Monday.
The gym was well equipped and the steam room and sauna well kept.
We almost cancelled our reservation at this hotel because of the negative reviews on trip advisor but i'm glad we did not. How many people with negative comments actually took up their complaints with the hotel durring their stay?? (and yes I did express my dissappointment about the lack of crossiants).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My very pregnant friend and myself went on a Groupon Spa day recently to this well situated hotel. The reception area and public rooms are impressive and the service and food at lunch time were both very good.
The beauty therapists were both amazing and made it a wonderfully relaxing few hours in the beauty area. My friend and I felt extremely well pampered. They really are the best bit about the spa area.
The spa does badly need modernising especially the shower area. There was nobody else around when we first went in and so after a swim I went for a shower behind the shower curtain which is visible from one end of the pool. Not having thought much about it I had left my costume and towel on the seat nearby. When I heard other male guests arrive I realised I would have to be careful how I exited the shower !! Not keen on unisex facilities !!
I also noticed the shower and toilet area floor needed cleaning. Agree with previous comments re the children's swimming at same time as the spa clients trying to relax. This was also our experience although for some time we did have it all to ourselves.
My pregnant friend had an accident getting out of the pool and slipped onto the steps. This was in no way the fault of the hotel or the design of the pool. She was in a lot of pain and couldn't walk.
The staff were all very helpful and attentive getting ice and a wheelchair. Thanks to them we managed to get my friend into the car and I took her to get checked out at the hospital. She is fine now but had to use crutches for a few days.
The staff in the restaurant, spa and front of house are all very professional and friendly. The dated and slightly grubby spa lets the hotel down at the moment.
Treatments ( pedicure and facial) certainly worth every penny though.

Room Tip: Go for the treatments but give the spa area a miss until it has been refurbished
1 Thank karen b
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My boyfriend and I chose Sandbanks for a seaside get away after the hustle and bustle of Christmas. There was some refurbishment going on when we arrived, not unexpected for a hotel out of season. The rooms were very clean and a high standard of facilities was clear. My room was located over reception so close to all the facilities, but the decor was older. My boyfruend's room was miles away at the other end of the hotel - it took 5 minutes to walk between them. We didn't complain about this, although the staff were so helpful I'm sure if we had they would've accommodated our request as the hotel was very empty. We used the little swimming pool once, it was fine for a quick dip- I'd read in advance it was only 10m long!

We were very impressed by the restaurabt.The service was impeccable when we arrived, the Maitre D was fantastic at dinner each evening. The food was really lovely. Even on the Friday night when the hotel was approaching capacity (there was a conference) we were still treated like royalty. Unfortunately Saturday morning was a lot more chaotic and service at breakfast not able to meet demand. We left without hit drinks. Overall we found the hotel delightful. The staff friendly. The location is amazing - the odds are if you don't get a seaview you'll have a lovely one of the harbour!!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank ClearlyAM
battle, east sussex, u.k
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed here recently for a weekend. Very good service and food. Rooms are gradually being updated. Most have lovely views of beach or harbour. Pool a bit old fashioned but lovely and warm and also enjoyed the steam room and sauna.

1 Thank 1379jude
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The room appeared well-used and smelled very strongly of polish. The carpet was stained and dirty. The bathroom felt less than clean and had old, green lino of exactly the sort we had in the school showers 20 years ago. The bathroom bin was placed resting up against the clean towels and there was a layer of scum on the fascia board around the bath.

We were left feeling less than clean. The room did not resemble any of the pictures on the website and certainly did not come up to the four star quality they advertise.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank agb198_891bga

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

southampton
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My friend and I visited the Sandbanks hotel for a spa day. We were most impressed with the location, and the reception and bar area appeared to have been recently refurbished.
Unfortunately the same could not be said of the spa and leisure facilities. We were shown to this area by a member of staff who helpfully explained the day to us and what to expect.
The indoor pool is only 10m long, and its the first pool I've been to where you are allowed to wear outdoor shoes by the poolside to access the changing area. There were 5 shared changing cubicles for men and women at the poolside, with lockers just by them for belongings.
We tried the gym first - it had approx 10 cardiovascular machines which were adequate - not the most modern of equipment. Also it appeared not to be properly ventilated as there was condensation running down the windows - and there was only 2 of us in there. I decided to have a shower after my workout before lunch. When I went over to the shower facilities I realised that there were only 2 communal showers and toilets for both men and women. The showers did not have lockable cubicles (which might have been acceptable) - there was 1 plastic curtain between both showers. Totally unacceptable and not what I would expect for a hotel promoting their spa facilities.
We went to lunch and sat in the bar area overlooking the sea which was very nice.
After that we went back to the pool area - had a sauna and steam and then were aiming to relax - as it says on the Sandbanks promotion "Welcome to an Oasis of tranquillity". "Immerse your senses in a world of calm and serenity". Unfortunately there were toddlers and then baby swimming lessons. The next 2 hours "relaxation" was frequently interrupted with screaming and crying children and babies - interspersed with childrens songs. I do not have a problem with children learning to swim - it is just unrealistic to have the 2 groups with different expectations in the same area. Or at least warn spa patrons there are childrens swimming lessons taking place.
Finally it was time for our treatments - the two beauty therapists - Kerrie and Chantelle were lovely - they were the redeeming factor of this experience.
We had a groupon voucher and so did not pay the usual price (£110) for the spa day - if we had then we would have asked to speak to the manager and made a complaint.
We were told that the spa and leisure facilities are due to be refurbished soon - unless they are much improved I would not return.

7 Thank clare b