“not advised”
Review of Sandbanks Hotel

Sandbanks Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I have just had the experience of staying in one your hotels, The Sandbanks.

I spent £410 for two nights in what can only be described as a £20 per night bed and breakfast. I have had my holiday ruined and left more stressed than I came.

I will list some reasons for this remark:
The Room
• My balcony was dirty
• My sea view was 50% car park, 30% tree and 20% sea
• The first room we stayed in was dirty
• We had to ask for toiletries as there was only 1 shampoo (that’s it) for a family of 3
• The was 1 tea cup, for a family of 3
• There was no tea
• There was no pillow on the child’s bed (which actually was the sofa pulled out when we were told it would be a separate bed)
• The TV didn’t work – and if it did there was nowhere to sit and watch it due to the angle on the wall
• There was no iron – we had to ask for one
• There was no hairdryer – we had to ask for one
• There was no special luxury at all that I expected from a 4 star hotel (and I stay in a lot due to my work)
The Food
• The breakfast was a fast, there were no croissants (even when I asked)
• The salmon was pre-packed and the hollandaise sauce was from a packet (I know as my partner is a head chef of 20 years)
• The sausages were pink in the middle – we were told they were meant to be that way, it’s the way they are cooked!
• The eggs were not runny
• There was only a choice of honey, marmite or blackcurrant jam as everything else had run out
• The tables were dirty and you were not shown to a seat as you would expect in a 4* you just had to find a seat
• The first night we had dinner and booked a table and were told we could have the terrace menu in the restaurant as well as the set menu, but when we got in there that was not the case – so got moved to the terrace. It took 3 attempts to get a medium rare steak – the first time it was overdone, second they didn’t rest it and only came with tomatoes, the third time and over 1.5 hour later it was ok
Extras
• I wanted to use the facilities of the funsters, which I was happy to pay for but was told was included and that they were trained child care providers – on the first night I went to drop my daughter off for dinner, then to be entertained whilst we ate – but was told by a funster ‘we take no reasonability for your child’ so I would have to sit with them the whole time – what is the point? Obviously didn’t use this facility
• One of the funster activity was watching cartoons for ½ hour – really?
• There were no ashtrays outside
• We had to carry our luggage to our rooms
• We had to move rooms after the first night as we were double booked
• The car park was full so we had to pay for parking elsewhere
• The internet Wi-Fi didn’t work
• The pool was dirty and cold – I don’t know what picture you are displaying on the website but it sure isn’t the same one as in the sandbanks hotel
• I called before I came to book 2 massages and no one called me back and when I was there was told there was no space and I should have called in advance

I wanted a luxury hotel, with 4 star treatment, a spa and comfortable, scenic views what I got was not that. I was excited and really looking forward to staying at your hotel, but after the first 3 hours I just wanted to cry, felt stressed and wanted to go home.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Melody S
There are newer reviews for Sandbanks Hotel

Reviewed 20 September 2012

My partner & I were given, by a friend, a chance to stay in Sandbanks for what was probably the last really sunny weekend of the summer. Although we had a private apartment to stay in, on the Saturday night we went to the Beach Club at the Sandbanks Hotel for the evening.

Even with the night drawing in, sitting by the sea along this coast line was glorious for sundowners.

The public rooms in the hotel are smart & modern, though the front exterior is a bit haphazard in its appearance. The Beach Club is right were it should be, directly over looking the sandy beach with the waves below.

On this particular night, one lucky couple were using the hotel for their wedding. I'm sure they had a fabulous day. However, the impact of this one event on the service delivered was apparent. The Club bar seemed to be short staffed and service was extremely slow. Despite the hotel's rating, there wasn't any table service.

The food we ordered was fine for what was, essentially, a outside BBQ kitchen. Though the crab salad I ordered had several noticable pieces of shell in it.

After eating, with the night drawing in, we retired to the hotel bar. Again, service was slow, tables were not being cleared, so we did this ourselves. Our first, second & third choices of nightcaps were out of stock, so we didn't stay long.

On the whole pleasant but we left feeling let down. Perhaps our expectations had been too great, or am I being kind?

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank OliverMaxwell-Jones
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My rating here is based on the fact that we got a good 2 night deal thanks to Buyagift. Location is just amazing, right by the beach & the weather was wonderful but I feel that the quality of the decor and furnishings let this hotel down - it deserves more TLC. Our bedroom had a harbour view and a small balcony (not particularly clean). The room itself was like stepping onto the set of Ashes to Ashes - I expected Gene Hunt to pop out!! Very seventies in colour scheme and furnishings. Breakfast had poor reviews on Tripadvisor and I have to say that for the price range this hotel commands it was very basic and no frills. However, we personally had value for money and knowing this area well that is in itself hard to acheive. Poole and Sandbanks seems to think themselves very special. We then went to the Cotswolds where they too know how to charge but it was a pleasure parting with my money there as standards are so much higher than this part of the country.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed here for a wedding and it was absolutel gorgeous! We were able to check in early, way before check in time as the room was ready and at no extra charge, this allowed us to get ready for the wedding in our rooms which was lovely. The rooms were large and comfortable, we had a beautiful sea view and the bathrooms were nice and modern. The food was excellent at the wedding and the buffet breakfast the next day. I would definelty recomment this hotel .

Reviewed 14 September 2012

the hotel is certainly showing signs of age and the lack of any recent refurbishment, the Wi-Fi is very poor, excessive charges for pamper packs etc, lift to the rear was out of order throughout our 5 day stay, if the same effort that was given to the wedding partys was shown to hotel guests then the Sandbanks would be a better experience.
the decor in the rooms are 1970s standard, no water pressure, tatty furniture , dirty carpets etc

Room Tip: sea facing rooms are the best
2  Thank alan o
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My wife and I spent a week here in the beginning of September. We had never stayed at the hotel before, although we had a couple of drinks at the terrace bar last summer. So we were quite exited about the stay. Check-in was easy and efficient. 3 storey building but lift only to second which is a pain if you have lots of luggage. Our room on the 3rd floor was fantastic, large with seaview and a balcony. Bed was really comfy with soft mattress and pillows.
Breakfast was nice, but besides the cooked food there werent much to choose from. We also had a meal at the fabulous terrace overlooking the beach, but that experience was unfortunately ruined by the wasps constantly flying around the tables. I felt sorry for the bar staff who constantly had to duck and dive to avoid the wasps. As we arrived on the day that the summer season were ending(Hotel staff told us that, we had no idea), the hotel seemed a bit deserted. Not much going on, with the bar area empty most of the time. Boring. Swimming pool was closed due to unforeseen problems. Shame.
In our view, the hotel was nice, in a fantastic location. But it felt very impersonal, with staff who were efficient but not overtly friendly. A smile every now and then would do wonders! This in stark contrast to our stay at The Cumberland in Bournemouth the week before, where the whole staff really made you feel welcome and looked after. If we ever decide to go back it would have to be in the summer season, when there is more people and a cosier atmosphere than it was during our stay.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

This hotel was a little dated but clean and the staff were very helpful.view was amazing.recommend.................................................................................................................................................................defo

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business