“Excellent location but hotel could do better!”
Review of Sandbanks Hotel

Sandbanks Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Poole
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent location but hotel could do better!”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Best bits: stunning views across the harbour and spacious room with a balcony. Excellent location, excellent access to the beach and good free parking. Most staff very helpful and polite.Nice choices for breakfast and food cooked very well.

Worst bits: Room with loose ceilng tiles that moved about when the balcony door was open to let in sea breeze, water pressure was low and shower was more a of a luke warm trickle with loose fitments, room not cleaned thoroughly as a piece of what looked like rubble on bathroom floor when we arrived was still there when we left. Some staff not very attentive and seemed uninterested at times.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheHolidayers0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
London
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I checked into the hotel on a Thursday afternoon and the guy, Mattheus was really nice and friendly. You need to either driver or a get a taxi to the hotel. I had a seaview double on the third floor but don't think it was the new product. However it was large, spacious and had good amenities. The views were excellent. The hotel has great facilities and is a awesome location. Breakfast is great but it finishes at 1000 even at the weekend and check out is at 1100 - both are far too early. Unless you are prepared to pay £10 per hour for a late check out then you have to leave. However this didn't appear to be the case with some of the other wedding party I was with who had a free late check out. The girls on reception at all times didn't seem very happy and their service was a let down. Putting that aside the hotel was good but I am not sure about being a full 4* hotel. Wifi was good but you only seemed to get it free for 24 hours so if you are there for longer I am not sure how much it would cost.

Room Tip: Seaview is a must but harbour view is also good!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank richbowenuk
Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

I'll start with the positive. Our room overlooked the sea and to wake up and watch the sunrise on a sunny September day was priceless. HOWEVER.. that's about the only good thing I can say about this hotel. We had dinner on Friday night with friends that were staying at the hotel too, the food was atrocious, I don't think I've ever had such a tough steak in my life! The staff were clearly undertrained, the service was awful and they were indifferent to us, one in particular was bordering on rude.
The next day we all met in the bar before setting off for a wedding. Again, the service was dire, we had to wait ages for a drink and it was not even busy, how they cope in the high season is beyond me.
Now for our room. Although nice and spacious, it was in need of refurbishment. The sofa had a big hole in the arm, and the false polystyrene low ceiling made in so unbearably hot, I woke up and had to sit on the balcony for some air at 3.00am. Where was the aircon that you would expect in a 4 star hotel?
The reception and bar area are very tiredc looking and in need of some urgent TLC. This is a shame as the with the location of this hotel it could be wonderful, but how it has been awarded 4 stars in its current state I shall never know!

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tania S

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Reception staff were not interested or welcoming. The restaurant failed to acknowledge the fact we had rung earlier in the day to book a table. The staff did not seem to understand English and were not aware that red wine should be served at room temperature and when serving the meal were not able to recognise what it was. When it arrived the food was good a pity about the poor service.the stay was ruined by the behaviour by the behaviour of other guests who decided to have a party at 3-4 am. Location of the hotel is excellent but the service needs to be improved if it is to justify four stars. I would say that this is a three star hotel at best with a thoroughly indifferent restaurant and reception. It will only attract badly behaved guests if it does not get its act together.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicholas B
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Excellent in all respects - attentive, professional, helpful and friendly staff on arrival and during the stay - excellent food - spacious rooms with stunning views and full facilities - relaxed atmosphere yet responsive service when needed - spece to relax - sandy beach - lots to see and do in the area - very enjoyable and would certainly return.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DAVID_R36
Caernarfon, North Wales
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I had stayed at Sandbanks five years ago, and it was excellent. This time was there to attend a wedding at a sister hotel, but choose Sandbanks because of my recollection.

I arrived at 1, prior to the 3pm check-in time. When I got to checkin, this immovable rule was made clear to me by the clerk. When I explained I had to be at a wedding at 3 and asked where I could change, I was offered the loo, the disabled loo, or the leisure suite. The disabled loo was the best option, but it was engaged, as I later discovered because it was used as the private loo by the staff. So I ended up changing in a small cubicle beside the indoor swimming pool, in 100% humidity, after a search to find it. Not a pleasant experience! When I came up the stairs dripping wet with sweat, staff were exiting and going into the disabled loo.

I went out onto the terrace restaurant to have a lunch and cool down. The hamburger was delicious but this experience was compromized by the difficulty of logging onto the hotel wifi and the bar staff to the left loudly complaining about the hotel mangement and the way they were being treated to the left, while the kitchen staff to the right did the same.

When I returned to the hotel from the wedding my bags were not in my room as promised, so I had a further wait at midnight, and the lack of blackout curtains meant the sun illuminating the room at 06:30 jared me awake 2 hours early. Will never stay there again! But once it was great!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank jim006
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed the 17th & 18th September 2012, this was our 2nd stay,the first was for our Honeymoon this time for our 1st Anniversary. We had a great stay our only criticism was the TV,but room sevice was excellent and attended to the matter straight away.
The Service & Staff where Excellent, the Food was Excellent and not skimpy little portions.Breakfast was a buffet style where you chose just whatever you wanted, eating as much as you like ,cereals,juices, toast,tea or coffee,we both eat a full engllish , this usually set us up for the day.
We chose to include the Evening meal option and where not disapointed receiving a Beautiful 3 Course Meal,only having to pay for any drinks.
We look forward to returning there in the future. Congratulations must go to the Hotel for there staff and service.
I hope anyone else staying will not be disapointed, as we knew and heard the usual "Moan A Lot" moaning just for the hell of it, like it was there job almost to do so and try to insult the staff and belittle them. Clearly some people just dont seem to have any manners and treat the staff as they where their own personal servant, which they clearly are not and talked down to staff as they where something on the bottom of their shoe's, Oh they where so wrong to do so .
Keep up the Good Service and Standards .
Stephen & Ann Staples. 24th September 2012

Room Tip: We stayed on the brownsea island side this stay, just a quite as on the seafront side.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple