“Great location, hotel needs a facelift”
Review of Sandbanks Hotel

Sandbanks Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Perfect location right on the beach in the picturesque Sandbanks area. Had a great stay, I just felt the hotel was a bit shabby. It could do with a bit of a make over to take it to the next level. The pool was good but again it all felt about 10 years old and it could do with modernising.
Wouldn't recommend but wouldn't put people off staying there, it was nice enough for us. The location made up for it all.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank mattyharryharris
FJBHotels, Online Team at Sandbanks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Thank you for your review MHNCFC and welcome to the Trip Advisor community ( I can see this is your first review).

I'm sorry you weren't happy with the overall look of the hotel. We have refurbished the majority of our bedrooms and public areas over the last few years. However, I'll pass your comments onto the management team.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Booked the double deluxe with sea view and balcony and was not disappointed. From arrival to departure could not fault it. Food was excellent staff were pleasant and very friendly. Breakfast was buffet style and plentiful. Dinner was marvellous three courses and a good choice. our room was very spacious a lovely big bed and separate lounge area with comfy chairs.Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: No.207 lovely views and weather permitting a lovely balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments holidayersSomerset. I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully next time you're down it will be nice and warm so you make full use of the balcony!

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

One of the few hotels in England on the beach. A superb hotel with a very friendly welcome for Children. Very comfortable and spacious rooms with the added bonus of a separate Childrens room. If you are fortunate to get a sea view room then you have some of the best sea views in the South and South West. Always happy to return to this very welcoming hotel with excellent parking.

Room Tip: Find a sea view room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review Princess253228. Really pleased you came and stayed with us. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This hotel is ideally situated for walking along the seafront into Bournemouth and for getting buses there or alternatively into Poole or to Swanage via the chain ferry. The hotel is modern and clean and the bedroom we occupied was spacious and comfortable with two easy chairs and a small table. However, for us the very best element of this hotel is the staff. From the greeting we received upon arrival to our departure the staff were consistently pleasant, friendly, efficient and always had the 'can-do' attitude. We ate in the main restaurant during our stay and could not fault the food.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank MidlandsCas

Thank you for your review MidlandsCas. I'll pass your comments onto the hotel team as I know they'll be really happy to read them!

Really pleased you enjoyed your time with us and I hope we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed here at the end of October 2012 to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. The hotel is located on the stunning Sandbanks beach. On arrival we had lunch in the lounge area, and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Our room had a sea view and was very spacious. It looked as though it had recently been refurbished. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and the food was of a very high standard, and again the staff were incredibly welcoming and friendly. Overall we really like this hotel and would recommend it. The only reason we have given it a rating of four, rather than five, is because the pool area needs updating, however, guests have the full use of the pool and spa areas of the sister hotels which is a bonus. We look forward to staying here again sometime in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments carlyollie, and I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm sorry you weren't happy with the leisure facilities within the hotel, but I can see you enjoyed your time down at Harmony at The Haven!

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I booked this hotel's sister hotel, The Haven on a £60 DBB twixmas rate through their central reservations after emailing back and forth for details etc. I was very pleased as I love the view and the restaurant at The Haven, When I got to The Haven they said I had booked into The Sandbanks, not so! If I wanted to stay at The Haven it'd cost and extra £100. As I didn't have £100 and they wouldn't budge I very unwillingly went to The Sandbanks Hotel (just down the road) The room I was given was a tiny single, it did have a sea view but considering I had gone for a rest and a break and would be in there most of the time it would not have made for a comfortable or relaxing stay. By this time I was nearly in tears and went down to reception with my laptop to again discuss the mix up. I showed them the emails which clearly showed that I had been enquiring about The Haven and not The Sandbanks hotel and although very polite the whole time they wouldn't budge. I resigned myself to staying at The Sandbanks which still has a great view but is not in the same league as The Haven (although they're both 4 star) I had to pay a £60 charge to upgrade to a bigger double room, which was very nice with a fab balcony and sea view, but I was upset and annoyed that I'd had to borrow the money to pay for something which was caused by their error. I emailed to complain when I got home and they replied to say that if I stay again they'd do me a good price.

The food in the hotel was very good and the service, excellent which makes it such a shame they dealt with my situation less than well I felt.

I'd definitely suggest you use the leisure facilities at The Haven if you stay here (you can use the facilities in any of the JJB hotels ( The Sandbanks, The Haven, The Harbour Heights or The Chine) because the pool in The Sandbanks is not good, very 2/3 star whereas The Haven's Harmony spa is lovely,

If you stay here as a single I'd definitely suggest you request a sea view double, as mentioned, the singles are tiny.

Overall a fairly nice hotel, great views and good outside spaces right by beach, very family orientated.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank foodnfunfiend

Thank you for your review foodndunfiend. I'm sorry about the problems you had when you stayed with us. Your review hinted that you've spoken to us directly about the problems you had, but if there's anything else you'd like me to look into, please let me know.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We were transferred to this hotel at midnight from the sister Harbour Heights hotel, where the heating was not working (in December). And here too, the heating was not working. The so-called 'refurbished' room did overlook the sea, but the furniture was dated and tatty, with mismatching chairs and a 1970s style wardrobe and chair and an old, black carpet. There was dust on several surfaces, and the bath was chipped, with black mould behind the taps, a loose sink tap and dust on the window ledge. Quite what was refurbished is a mystery. As a mature couple, we were not told that the hotel would be full of young, screaming children running around with no apparent supervision. And the was no answer from reception when I telephoned twice to find out how to work the television ( it's not obvious...).
Eventually, half of our bill was refunded, but I echo another reviewer's comment about four star prices, yet poor facilities.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LondonMariner

Thank you LondonMariner for your comments. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. If you'd like us to revisit your complaint please let us know