“Good as Ever - But When Are The Rooms Going To Be Updated”
Review of Sandbanks Hotel

Sandbanks Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Oxford
“Good as Ever - But When Are The Rooms Going To Be Updated”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed at Sandbanks for the 10th or 11th Year - Can't remember now (8th,9th,10th,11th Aug 13) - been so many times !
As always the beach and location are superb. Food is good although a little unimaginative. Breakfast is great. Terrace bar is really good now that it has been updated but you still have some work to do resolving the bar service system on the terrace. Staff are friendly however there are not enough and there is always ambiguity around who gets served next - normally the person with the loudest shout - stop relying on the guests to manage your bar....if it can't be resolved by the staff - introduce a roped queuing system and alleviate the frustration....its supposed to be a relaxing experience. These are only little points to raise but they make a big difference. Please, Please, Please get some new bedroom furniture and carpets.........its letting down this excellent hotel.....we hold our breath each year hoping you will !!....just one last thing....furniture on the balconies appears to be a mismatch of the old terrace furniture...again its letting you down. We understand investment is limited however Sandbanks is one of the most expensive property locations in the world. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and love Sandbanks - hope you will listen.

Room Tip: Facing the sea room are the best but do prepare for them to be a little tired and worn.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This hotel is a very special place to us as a family. My husband experienced wonderful and happy memories here as a child and now we are building the same for our children. The staff are so very friendly and extremely accommodating nothing is too much trouble and its brilliant seeing the lovely Joseph back with his enigmatic smile!! the dining area and the fabulous outdoor terrace area are run efficiently and the food choices are varied and very tasty!! For us the main reason we return time and time again is for our children to see the 'funsters' entertainment! They are the 'hotel' . Genuinely lovely people who adore children and are extremely talented with their professional singing and dancing!! An amazing show was put on and the children just love them!! They provide games on the beach, face painting, crafts, games and fun quizzes and much more and are extremely funny to watch!! So to sum up, if you're looking for a relaxed, fun and entertaining short break or a summer holiday I would recommend this hotel as a lovely family hotel for memories to build on.

• Stayed August 2013
West Sussex
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed on the 24th August for our wedding anniversary. We arrived early and checked in before mid-day, as our room was ready around 3pm. We ate lunch at the Guildhall Tavern (wow!) and returned to enjoy drinks on the terrace of the Hotel overlooking the beach. I think the weather helped as it was a beautiful day and we had a stunning afternoon. Had we sat inside, as we did earlier when we arrived, it felt somewhat soulless I'm afraid. We later sat down for dinner in the restaurant I had booked many weeks ago with the Hotel direct and was, therefore, somewhat disappointed when having booked a table with a sea view, I was told it was not possible! To be fair, we were given a bottle of sparkling wine when I explained my request and the occasion. Our room was on the third floor. We needed to take a lift to the second floor and walk to the third. The sofa bed was broken when we arrived which was then replaced with camp beds. Our room key failed and was replaced and these I guess we're just niggles in our overall experience. The hotel needs a bit of a refurb. Don't look at the internals so much as you do the view and you will have a great time. Our dining experience was nowhere as memorable as lunch!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Solihull, UK
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in family room 22. Bit of a mixed bag overall. Positives - location is fantastic, right on golden sands beach, weather was great 4 days out of 6 on beach, free wifi, parking available, early child dinners, room very large with great views over harbour. Average - no wifi in room 22, noisy as next to evening entertainment, breakfast ok, dinner and barbecue disappointingly average, room clean but a little dated, swimming pool nice but very sandy.

Overall, love Sandbanks, hotel ok but didn't feel 4 star or value for money. Outside was being painted when we were there so hopefully this is part of a refurb to really match the hotel with the millionaire's property surrounding it.

Room Tip: Ask for somewhere away from ballroom, if you want some sleep before 11pm.
2 Thank JohnB72
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a 5 day stay at this hotel and after reading some of the previous reviews, felt I should offer some well deserved balance to the other negative comments listed here.

Our family have been staying for the last 8 years and can't get enough of this place. Yes, agree that some areas of the hotel could do with revamping and the menu sometimes limited but everything else simply fantastic!
Where else in the UK could you find such a perfect location for a family beach holiday?

The food is exceptional - from the best buffet breakfasts (and this is always my favourite part of staying in hotels) to the lunches on the terrace and the quality of the evening meals, perfect.
Although you only get a small choice of menu for the evening meals, the food is of a very high standard and the staff can't be helpful enough. The restaurant manager, Joseph, did everything possible to make our stay memorable and the hotel should acknowledge his performance. On our last day he made sure my father got his crab sandwich which weren't even on the menu!

Our younger children enjoy the 'Funsters' clubs and entertainment and the hotel seem very relaxed to children in general ( and the reason we keep returning).

If I can find another hotel on the beach, kid friendly, with good food and in a perfect location, then I'll try - until then I'm going back to Sandbanks.

Mason family

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Leigh M
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My family stayed there in August for the third year running. We had three doubles, one with adjoining room with bunk bed for the kids, all the rooms had sea views and balconys. They were clean, but the kettle needed descaling. The breakfast was bearable if you avoided the hard fryed eggs with a skin on ! All other meals there were discussing. We ate out for most of our meals, Thank god for Tesco Extra down the road! The kids club is ok, not ideal for 11 and 12 yr olds who have to mix with the little ones still. Kids soft play has been refurnished and If you want to swim use the Haven Hotel pool it's brilliant. Will most lightly give sandbanks hotel a miss next year due to the food being so bad.

• Stayed August 2013
Barnet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel has the most fabulous location in Sandbanks. It is on a peninsula so the beach is on one side and the sea is also on the other side. The hotel is right on the beach which even on a hot sunny weekend in August was not at all crowded with golden sand.
The hotel will put deck chairs on the beach for guests and there are sun loungers on the terrace overlooking the beach.
The hotel has an indoor swimming pool and spa with nice fresh towels.
I was travelling with my two daughters and my grandchildren aged nearly 3 and 10 weeks. We took a family room which was lovely with a sea view and plenty of room. However I was in a single room which was horrendous! I felt like I was in a youth hostel, it was hideous and depressing with a single bed.
There are 3 floors to the hotel and the lift only goes to the 2nd floor. We had a flight of stairs to climb to the 3rd floor and with a buggy, a toddler and a young baby was impossible! My single room was just at the top of this flight of stairs and was so noisy as all guests located on the 3rd floor came up the stairs chatting, shouting, calling out etc. I had really no sleep the whole time I was there. My family were right down the other end of the corridor with yet more stairs to climb.
I did complain about my room but was told there was no other rooms available. I also complained at checking out but nothing was done about my complaint.
The breakfasts were lovely, great variety and good quality. The restaurant manager was extremely efficient and my gluten free diet was catered for.
The food on the patio where we ate one night was not wonderful. I wanted the chicken wings but was told they were not suitable for a gluten free diet so they would make me a spicy chicken breast. It was presented between 2 pieces of unbuttered lightly toasted gluten free bread with a tiny side salad. New potatoes were brought to the table as I was finishing my dry, tasteless dinner.
Every time we ordered drinks during the day we had problems. Either they took so long that we gave up or they arrived after a long wait and were wrong.
My granddaughter loved the evening entertainment and loved the entertainers. It was a bit repetitive e.g please Mr Crocodile was done every evening.
This was a very expensive break that was not good value for money. If it wasn't for the location which is stunning then it would not be so popular.

Room Tip: If you have young children/babies make sure you are not on the 3rd floor. Do not book a single room