“Relaxing - chilled - big room great for families”
Review of Sandbanks Hotel

Sandbanks Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Okay to read some of the views of the past visitors that have written I am confused. We chose to take a family sea view room and well it was just that. Two bedrooms, five beds it was amazing. The beds I could have slept for a month. The linen on the beds was plush and soft just so snugly. The room service as in the chamber service was great, cleaned nicely on the middle day of our stay. The room was clean and fresh when we arrived. The balcony area was very comfy with two nice table and chairs. Fridge was nice to use and we popped our own drinks in it. The facilities were also great. The restaurant manager Joseph was so accommodating it was unreal a true gentleman he handles his team well and it's a real effort works like clockwork and not once did we feel hurried in any way. The bar food and service was also good and for a hotel reasonable. If you get a chance the vegetarian mushroom lasagna is very tasty indeed. Views from the room were stunning and pleasing to sit in the mornings and drink tea and eat cookies that the housekeepers leave out in plentiful supply. Great quality teas and a choice of tea also chocolate and coffee. Plenty of plugs for all our gizmo's and gadgets and of course phones !! From what I see this hotel is great value and delivers more that it needs to for the price tariff. The location is amazing it delivers all you could want for beaches and water watching. The beach is literally a stone through away. Great to sit in the mornings and evening if not to cold and listen to the sea crashing. Thank you

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Simon P

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I was put into a tiny room on floor 3 - beware - no lift to this level. The room was tired and had mould growing around the window. The food was shocking - bland and expensive, with waitring staff bustling around unecessarily. And the final insult - a service charge and charity donation was added to the bill and only came to light because I knew how much I had spent! l Wouldn't recommend and won't be going back. A formal complaint is on its way to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sarah Z
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I will definitely stay in this hotel again if I'm lucky enough to return to the area. I spent one night just after the tourist season, meaning I had the beach, deck, and breakfast area almost to myself...shared, however, with the very cool rain and wind. The location is amazing--the beach on one side and the bay across the street on the other (filled with kite surfers when I was there). There's a restaurant in the hotel (which served the best free breakfast buffet I had anywhere on my trip, although I didn't try it for dinner), and a couple more places to eat and a small store just a short walk down the beach.

The building itself is a rambling, old sort, so if you want an ultra-modern facility, keep looking. This means bigger rooms and mine (a single on the side away from the beach) was very large and spotless. To get to it from the lobby was something of an adventure, as I'd wind down a hallway overlooking the channel, cut across a big dance floor (really), go through a non-descript door and down a couple more hallways to the very last room (the boring, and shorter, way to get there involved an elevator and no stairs, but you'd go outside and did I mention it was raining?).

I managed to forget something in the room but the staff was wonderful about packing it up and shipping it to me (no complaints about my being in a different country). Everyone was very friendly and helpful and very attentive to my requests. As mentioned, I'd love to return and stay longer.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I am always very surprised when I read poor reviews about this hotel. This was our third visit and once again everything was more than satisfactory.
Reception was welcoming and slick. Our room was large with a very comfortable bed.The bathroom was of a good size.The view was lovely.
There were several choices on the dinner menu. The meal was pleasantly served and we thoroughly enjoyed the food. We were last to leave the restaurant and the pianist remained playing until we departed. Most romantic.
On the first morning breakfast was a little noisy due to the large number of children staying at the hotel. On subsequent mornings breakfast was much quieter. The choice at breakfast was quite satisfactory.
The hotel has direct access to the beach and it bis a good walk into Bournemouth. There are lots of other options should the weather be wet.
We have booked to go again in March.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the Channel, others face Poole Harbour. all have good views
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Booked through Secret Escapes, a three night stay with B&B package. Very good value for the money paid.
Reception were welcoming and sign in was easy. Our bedroom was on the first floor with balcony and sea view. A must, to fully enjoy its location sited on the beach and promenade. We were fortunate with the weather, despite it being January and awoke to sunshine and the gentle lapping of the waves on the sea shore. The bedroom was fully adequate for our needs, but a refrigerator would have been nice. We understand there are portable refrigerators available on request.
The public areas are well furnished, spacial, light & airy. The staff, both in the bar and restaurant, were friendly and professional in their duties. Both the buffet breakfast and dinner were of a high standard.
Overall it was an enjoyable experience and management can be pleased with the impression created by all their staff. Guests also have the choice of dining in one of their sister hotels on presentation of their key card.

Room Tip: We understand that some of the bedrooms on the third floor have already received a total refurb.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This was my second visit to Sandbanks to bring in the New Year. It appears that the Hotel has listened to all the advice from all the trip adviser reviews and has got it so right this year. There was something for everyone! If you did not want to be around the children and wanted to bring in the new year quietly, there was a separate restaurant with its own entertainment. We brought the New Year in with the Circus Skills set up for the children. We ate with the children too and the food buffet was a fantastic idea. I do think that there should be the option of Coffee to finish off your meal, this should be for every evening too as it completes the meal. Even if you have to go and get it yourself, I think it should be available.

The entertainment was definitely questionable on New Years Eve. The Circus man was a bit aggressive and odd and did some scary things like juggling with 5 sharp knives while walking over the children that volunteered, getting the audience to chant Kill Kill Kill. Very distateful and two parents removed their children from the trick he was doing The circus man's two boy assistants were just not good enough, they kept falling off the unicycles and it was very dangerous. My son was upset that I refused to let him volunteer for anything, it just did not look professional enough. The circus tricks were only up for approx 1/2 an hour, but once that was complete it was just good fun and dancing. Loved the fancy dress corner for the children. All in all, fabulous visit, will definitely visit again but hopefully the entertainment will be different next year.

Room Tip: If you have 4 children, choose room 306 and 307. You have a double room, linking to a twin room, li...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Happysix2013
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Two night stay. Easy parking. Reception easy and efficient. Room large with sofa, armchairs, big balcony 70 metres from the breaking waves, overlooking beach. Spotless, and every thing (all bulbs, too!) working. Food was very good - self-service breakfast with vg home-made muesli. Dinner service expert, friendly, courteous and quick. The food was elegant and detailed in presentation, but without the daft little portions often found in four star places.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for sea view and balcony - tho harbour view at rear is fine (except you will overlook...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple