“Bit of old fashioned service for a change” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandbanks Hotel

Sandbanks Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Poole
worcestershire
“Bit of old fashioned service for a change”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

This not an International anonymous type Hotel, thank goodness, but a reasonable and solid place.

Arriving and entering the hotel we were quite happy with what we saw and the way we were received, as our room was some distance away our bags were quickly taken by a very pleasant and helpful young man. The room was at the end of the Hotel but it was an adventure to find our way back to reception and better on the way back.

Having travelled quite away and after perusing the menu we decided to book to stay for dinner, after a rest and a couple of drinks we entered the dining room to be greeted well and shown to an very acceptable table. By this time the room was quite busy with a party and others who seemed happy and contented and gave the room a little buzz. Starters were ordered and a bottle of decent wine (perhaps a bit expensive for what it was ... but so !!!) these came nicely and attractively served, so followed the main which considering the amount of people there showed some style and individual attention by the chef's.

Good room overlooking the sea with large bed, sofa, table and chairs a decent bathroom with his and hers basins ... clean and well equipped.

Breakfast is served for several hours giving everyone a choice of "up and at it" or the lazy ones to chill out. Excellent choice of cold starters or cereals and followed by a good choice of hot "full English" excellent quality and quantity to satisfy the most greedy. We should not leave this room without commenting on the most attractive and excellent staff who go out of their way to help and please.

You could be bored with reading pernickety whinges about decor or items on the breakfast severy but all In all this is a solid excellent hotel for a few days away, or even more.

Room Tip: Sea room are nice but harbour facing rooms display a lot of interesting water activities
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WorcestershireJoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed at the Sandbanks Hotel as a birthday treat for my husband and we both found the hotel to be very comfortable. It is a wonderful traditional seaside Hotel with many charming features and real character. Our room overlooked the fabulous beach, when we woke in the morning after a very good night's sleep we could see the sea from our bed. The bedroom was well equipped, spotlessly clean and the bathroom was well appointed. Although there was a private function taking place we were not disturbed by any noise and didn't hear one door bang in the night, which is the usual case in many hotels we have stayed at. There was a very good hot selection of food on offer for breakfast that was replenished regularly. All the staff were very polite and made us feel very welcome. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a seaside holiday in a beautiful part of the country.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front and back both have fantastic views.
2 Thank Sarah D
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

There is no question that the Sandbanks Hotel is situated in a fabulous location - beautiful views of the harbour from the front of the hotel, and wonderful sea views from the back. The hotel though is not entirely what one would expect from its location - a bit tired and in need of decoration in any area not immediately visible to the public. We arrived at 8.30pm on a Thursday night and there was a definite reluctance to allow us to book dinner 'as late as' 9pm. Unfortunately the room we were given on arrival, despite having 2 sinks, didn't have any working taps - so a 9pm dinner it was. Despite it stating the restaurant stays open until 10pm, we were virtually raced through our starters and mains. If it hadn't been a £30 round trip taxi fare into Poole, we would have eaten elsewhere on the 2nd night. On the upside, the restaurant food is quite good - but neither night could we get a cold bottle of wine, despite offering to put it in the fridge in our room!
Despite all this, it's still a great place to stay as you are close to Studland bay, Corfe and Swanage.

Room Tip: Quieter on the side overlooking the beach - the front has some road noise.
3 Thank ladysnowdon
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I have been staying at Sandbanks for 30 years. We've spent many holidays and short breaks here with friends and family,in big groups and small. I've never been disappointed until recently. Our room was spotless,very comfortable bed,beautiful sea view. The heavy fire doors in the corridor outside the room were constantly banged shut during the night,not the hotels fault I know but if they could have some sort of soft close on them,it would be better or what's the use of a comfy bed! The bathroom was not unlike the one in the private hospital that I'd just recently stayed in,cold looking and clinical although again spotlessly clean. The shower had no power and the shower curtain stuck to me whilst in the shower and it's not because I'm big because I'm not! I know the hotel is old and even the extended supposedly modern part of the hotel now looks dated but the location is fabulous. The rooms are let down by the lack of modern amenities. My main shock was in the restaurant. All the tables have very large sign holders for holding the table numbers and my husband remarked that it reminded him of Butlins when he was a child! There are no white tablecloths even at dinner,a cost cutting exercise no doubt. When we walked in to dinner and announced ourselves we were asked if we were paying for dinner or had a voucher,very down market. If people are on some sort of 'special offer' tariff there must be a better way of organising it other than a pile of scrunched up A4 print outs,as it happens I think there were only about 4 tables not using a voucher. The meal,which I was really looking forward to as I've never been disappointed before, was lacking in flavour and quality. We both had belly pork and where it had been kept warm all evening it was dry with a tough crackling. We only ate it as it was after 8.30 and we were starving! We did mention it but no one seemed that bothered. We ate out the following night. The breakfast here has always been excellent but even that was a huge disappointment. The bacon was of good quality but I had to wait for it to be replenished on both mornings along with the fried eggs. I see that porridge has an extra charge and there was no scrambled egg,no fried bread or black pudding. I know the latter two items are not classed as being healthy but when I'm on a break I like the choice of the full English breakfast. It stated on the menu that the sausages were the cumberland variety but they certainly were not. They looked like frankfurters and tasted like beef,they were inedible as far as I was concerned.The staff all looked fed up and I never once saw the manager or anyone who even looked like they were in charge. The receptionist staff were helpful with the exception of one,I asked if I could buy a stamp and post a birthday card and she said''no,we don't offer that service''. I know things change but in my opinion the changes at Sandbanks have not been for the better.I'm sad to say that I doubt very much that we will return.

1 Thank Julie T
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was very nice break leading into the Easter period. However some much needed TLC is still required to complete and round off the whole experience.

Our room could not be faulted however the balcony could do with a lick of paint. The staff were polite and helpful. However you could relax and watch the numerous boats, yachts and the ferry go by while enjoying a drink from the terrace.

My wife and her friend enjoyed the spa experience. No problem with the parking.

The quality of food served at breakfast could not be faulted. Although maybe as this is a 4* hotel to be served by a waiter would round off the whole experience.

Overall a nice stay, wonderful location and I would stay again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grimzag
Bromley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Just got back from a three night stay at the Sandbanks hotel. Initial problem with my room was dealt with very well. From reading other reviews I was a bit nervous about what the accommodation would be like but overall it was ok. Bit of touching up here and there wouldn't go amiss - balcony's could do with some tlc, bit of wallpaper come off one of the walls etc. Breakfast was very nice. Parking was easy and we found the location lovely. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank EmilyS75
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

First Impressions: Stunning location, hotel renovation poorly done, check in swift and hotel very busy at time of stay

Room was small and very outdated despite the perk of having a sea facing balcony this didn't compensate for the interior.
Room service was difficult to order as although the menu states you can order from the restaurant I had to ask staff what there actually was as there was no print out in the room. This resulted in them reading out the menu and when asked to describe some dishes they became stuck. I ordered blind and ended up with chicken in sauce which was okay but not ground breakingly amazing for a 4* hotel

Bad Point: route to the room was like being in a maze, very confusing and poorly signed. Breakfast reminded me of scenes from Benidorm - this is clearly a popular hotel with the older generation who pledge their loyalty on their weekends away
Expensive for what you actually get, would not stay again

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business