“Depressing!”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Exeter
“Depressing!”
Reviewed 9 July 2009

As you can see from the reviews of this hotel, some people love it .. one persons heaven is anothers hell!! We were due to pay (this was reduced in the end as we did not have dinner and complained) £270.00 for one night with a toddler and baby for dinner B&B. We feel this is quite a lot of money and because it was not great weather we needed the hotel to be good as the beach was not really an option - please see what our room was like, our childrens room (well room is a bit strong more like cupboard) and the so called spa (worth £270.00 to avoid)- if you think this looks like your perfect hotel then I suggest you book it up, we however found it all very depressing .. there were plenty of things that we did not like but I think the photos say it all

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank Noo155
HotelResponsePoole, Manager at Sandbanks Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2009
As you say most of our guests love the hotel and return every year to spend anything from an overnight stay to a fortnights summer holiday with us.

I note that your stay was in July which is obviously part of our peak season, when prices tend to be at the highest, although selected dates still have some very good discounted offers.

With regard to photo’s, I am sure that the gallery pages on our website accurately portrays many of the areas; that are far from ‘depressing’ and perhaps give an indication of why so many of our guests do enjoy their stay with us.

Traditionally with our beachside location, outdoor and indoor play areas, activity shack and on-site children’s entertainers we find that people spend little time in the rooms (they are simply a place to change and sleep) or Leisure Centre, although unfortunately the weather appears to have somewhat restricted your choice/use of our facilities.

From the picture provided of the ‘children’s room’ I can see that you actually booked one of our adjoining suites/rooms with an adjoining bunk bedded room, which are admittedly not the largest of rooms, however, we do have a wide range of family accommodation available at The Sandbanks with a variety of room sizes and combinations.

Perhaps if you were to return, one of our other family rooms would be more suitable for you, please contact my Head Receptionist, Didier directly and he will be able to advise you further on which rooms might be more suitable for you and your family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
Dorset
Reviewed 5 July 2009

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Sandbanks on the 30th May 2009. We both have exceptionally high standards and spent about a year looking at all of the hotels in the local area.

Weddings as everyone will know are very very expensive occasions, we live over an hour away from the Sandbanks and had a Church wedding at our local Church. An hours drive to the reception was risky but SO worth it!!

Sebastien Chene was our wedding co coordinator and from day one he was superb, his attention to detail offers of help and service were second to none. The wedding was booked over a year in advance and every time I telephoned him, emailed him or dropped into the hotel to see him he remembered my name and that I had booked my wedding at the hotel. All emails and correspondence were answered efficiently and professionally.

As the day drew nearer Sebastien was on hand to help us finalise our menu and provided some excellent ideas for the evening buffet all at a very reasonable price. Our wedding was not the biggest wedding that the Sandbanks have ever had but this had no bearing on the service that we received.

A week before the wedding I dropped in to chose the colour of the chair covers and Clare, a member of staff there was very helpful and efficient. The head chef Mark, also took time to come out and discuss our menu options with us, he was great, nothing was too much trouble and he had some great ideas. We asked for a few simple extras such as more gravy and mashed potato for Granddad and boiled potato’s for the mother in law - no problem at all.

By the time the day arrived because we lived so far away I was unable to check that I was happy with the layout of the reception, when I arrived, the room was set out to the absolute highest standard jus as I had asked. The staff worked amazingly hard, the bar was well equipped and well manned and the food was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

We had the most perfect weather and everyone was able to go onto the beach for photographs and drinks, having been to many weddings over the last couple of years we knew we wanted something different, our wedding had to be the best and it certainly was, the comments from the guests were amazing and we can honestly say that choosing the Sandbanks for our wedding reception was the best decision we have ever made!! We wouldn’t hesitate in recommending it to our friends , colleagues and clients, the staff at the hotel, especially Sebastien should be commended on the excellent service and professionalism they provide.

All bad reviews on here should be ignored - book your wedding at the Sandbanks and you will NOT be disappointed!! The Sandbanks hotel made our wedding PERFECT!!!!!

If any one wishes to discuss this review please email lisa_singleton@hotmail.co.uk.

Mr. and Mrs Lane

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Lane

Thank you for taking the time to inform readers of your comments regarding The Sandbanks Hotel and of how much you enjoyed your wedding day with us.

Our beachside location makes us a very popular wedding venue, however, Sebastien, Margaret, Mark and their teams work hard to ensure that every bride and groom, along with their guests receive the very best in personal service and attention.

We are very pleased to have assisted in assuring that your wedding day was perfect, and hope you enjoy the memories in the years to come.

Please be sure to visit us again soon.
Wiltshire
Reviewed 1 July 2009

The room itself was fairly small and the ‘lounge’ was tiny, the balcony lacked privacy and maintaining the shower temperature was an art in itself.
All this for £250 a night !

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank psbnycb
I am sorry to hear that you felt that our facilities were poor value for money. As you also took the time to contact the hotel directly, you should have now recieved a full letter from the management team.

We appreciate all feedback and I can assure you that we address as many points raised as possible, in order to improve our service and facilities at all times.

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Have just come back from spending a long weekend at this hotel, chosen for its location which is fabulous, with the beach/sea on the south side, and the harbour on the north side where you can watch the wind surfers and paragliders. The quay at Poole is in the distance, and it is an easy car ride east to the Chine beaches and Bournemouth, or west across the ferry to the isle of Purbeck. We were fortunate with the sunny weather which makes all the difference.
The friendly staff did their best to please. There was a problem with the shower, and it was seen to and sorted out within a few minutes of reporting the problem. Lovely room (£25 extra per person per night for the larger rooms). Television channels were limited, and BBC1 didn't work (which I mentioned on the questionnaire on leaving). Pleasant ambience, and good food in the restaurant. The indoor pool and "spa" seemed a bit dated - wasn't impressed with that.
I would certainly go again, or to a sister hotel, the Haven at the end of the peninsula; but it'll have to be a good deal as my pocket isn't that deep!

• Stayed June 2009
Johnb2006, Manager at Sandbanks Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2009
Many thanks for your review Deejaysee and I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us in the sunshine!

It looks like another good beach day here today as I’m writing this.

I received your questionnaire last week just after your departure, and checked out the BBC1 issue that you mentioned. The receiver box for that channel had locked up and just needed to be reset.

We are also starting to roll out more TV’s now with built-in freeview tuners, able to receive the full range of freeview channels in addition to those piped around the hotel.

Thank you for your recommendation and I note that you would like to stay with us again in the future if you can get a good deal!

I have the address from your questionnaire, so I have popped a letter in the post for you, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards
London
Reviewed 11 May 2009

The freshly painted 'Daz' white Sandbanks hotel. Fancy modern logo. Check. Trendy bar. Check. large outdoor area. Check. Fantastic view. check. Then up to the room. A Queen room. Ah, what the hell we thought, let's push the boat out. Key card in. Green light. Door opens. Faces drop. Somehow between the lobby area and here we had taken a wrong turn and entered the bedroom of a recently deceased granny in an unloved council block. Nope this was the room. In all it's staggering outdated glory. Two single beds pushed together apparently constitute a queen. Not in my book. We promptly moaned and were moved to a different room. A sea View too. Imagine scenic views of the sea and the sounds of the waves rolling onto the beach as the sun goes down, punctuated by the shrill screams of other people's children playing in the playground right outside your window. Or if you'd prefer right in front of you from your balcony made from broken glass. Shattered by the noise of kids or the last occupants screams of despair. Hard to tell i guess. So, back into the room. Hmmm Corby trouser press. Check. always need one of those. Heavily, and i mean heavily stained carpets. Blood perhaps from previous occupants slitting wrists in despair? hard to tell. Check. Hideous decor fresh from an Alan Partridge travel tavern circa 1990. Check. Four walls. Check. Painted with what i can only imagine were used tea bags. Check. Bathroom with 2 sinks with leaky taps. Hot water hotter than the actual sun itself that could easily burn the entire skin off a whole hand in a few minutes. Check. Wet floor from leaking under the sinks. Check.
Not quite the 4* treat we had in mind. So a stiff drink was in order. Well, a coffee at least. It arrived. Phew that's something right? unfortunately it was cold. Right then, let's order another one and request that it be hot. You know like a hot coffee. If it wasn't too much trouble. I was kindly told that 'the hotel struggled to serve hot coffee due to the distance from the bar to the room'. Staggering stuff. 45 minutes later the coffees arrived. Cold and nasty.
Ho hum. Down to the pool then. That'll be nice. Not so. The hotel has the sort of pool you would have been made to swim in as a child. Complete with hairy backed man. horrible. Just horrible. Not the man. The pool.
Ah let's watch some telly in the room and get ready to go out. No reception on the TV. Only terrestrial. Terrestrial? Even my nan has Sky for crying out loud.
And best of all you get all this for the grand price of £440. Yes really. £440. It's just like a travel tavern but without the fancy makeover. That should be their tag line.
Would i recommend it to a friend? No way. To a friend that i had recently found sleeping with my boyfriend? Maybe. To a person without eyes, ears or tastebuds? Hell yeah.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LovelyLaurieLee
Johnb2006, Manager at Sandbanks Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2009
Thank you for your review LaurieLee. You did not mention any of these matters on, or prior to departure, and many of your comments refer to a room which you saw beforehand, and asked to be moved to!

All rooms have been refurbished within the last 10 years in a rolling programme.

I would always advise that if you are not happy with any aspect of your stay then simply ask to speak with a Duty Manager or myself, and we will do what we can to put matters right for you at the time.

Some rooms have zip link beds. The beds zip together to make one large bed, or can be separated as two single beds. It allows for versatility in making up the room as a twin bedded or double bedded room as required. We believe it is a better solution than having rooms limited to just one configuration, and allows us to tailor rooms to client requirements far better.

You imply that the balcony glass was broken. This is not so. The glass panels are held tightly in a steel frame and compression artefacts are not uncommon in this type of construction so close to the sea.

I note your comments about the carpet being stained. Contractors were called in to remove coffee & red wine stains from a number of rooms after last weekend, and are brought in to clean all bedroom carpets on a regular basis. This is in addition to the day to day carpet cleaning carried out by our own staff.

I appreciate that décor is a very subjective issue, but assure you that your room overlooking the beach was not painted with tea bags! It’s actually a very expensive wallpaper, and our interior designer will be mortified!

I have looked further into your comment regarding dripping taps and leaks under the sink. Whilst I noted a slow drip from two of the taps, which are now rectified, I could see no evidence of a leak from the basins even after running the overflow. The current guest reports there are no leaks!

I apologise if you that found coffee ordered from the bar, arrived to your room somewhat cool on two occasions. I note that you actually ordered latte coffee's on these occasions, which are served layered in glass cups designed for this purpose. Unfortunately these will cool quicker than a pot of coffee, as would normally be served to a room. We do provide tea and coffee making facilities in the room, as you know, but appreciate that you may wish to call down for a speciality coffee. We will look into how this can be improved for the future.

Television engineers were on site the day you arrived and the system was being worked on for much of the day whilst channels were re-tuned to improve picture quality, after changes at our local transmitter. There are 15 channels normally, including two sky sports channels. A notice was displayed at reception about this work.

You should perhaps make clear that the price charged was for two people for two nights.

Do please feel free to contact me direct however if I can be of further help.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2009

A great hotel with good service, ambience and location. Will definitely go there again.
lovely views of sunset from the room!

• Stayed May 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Johnb2006, Manager at Sandbanks Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2009
Thank you for your kind comments PJAsh and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes we get some great views of sunsets over the harbour from here!

I am pleased that you felt the hotel represented value for money and do check our website for further deals, or give me a call direct if I can assist with a return visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Bristol
Reviewed 6 May 2009

This is the second time i have stayed here and my overall view is that the great location (sandwiched in betwen Sandbanks Beach and Poole Harbour affording amazing views) balances out the hotel's shortcomings. The lobby/restaurant area is fine but the room this time, whilst a good size, was somewhat tired - the colour scheme/furniture of 20-30 years ago. It was clean, all functioning and whilst paying the cheapest rate for a double room, we were given a room with an annexe for our travel cot which was good of them. The bed and pillows were very uncomfortable - the worst part of the stay - unspportive, lumpy and mobile. The service in the restaurant was very good and room service was quick - i thought the food was very good. On leaving there was an unknown bar bill posted to our room but reception was fine about removing this.
I just again felt that with some investment to the rooms this could go from a fine hotel to a great hotel. It may be that this process has already started in the more expensive rooms.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank edsri
Johnb2006, Manager at Sandbanks Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2009
Thank you for your review edsri and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your second visit to us.

I note your comments regarding the room allocated to you on this occasion. All of our 110 rooms have been refurbished within the last 10 years, and many of them much more recently. We have an ongoing rolling programme of bedroom refurbishment and investment which is continuing.

I am sorry to learn that you found the bed and pillows uncomfortable. A comfortable bed is an essential part of any stay, and we replace beds and mattresses regularly if we believe they are becoming worn.

If you would like to contact me direct and let me know what room you stayed in, I will investigate further with a view to having the bed replaced. On your next visit I will be delighted to show you a selection of our rooms, and perhaps do a deal for you on a more expensive room if you prefer.

Thank you for your kind comments about restaurant service and food, and for your recommendation.

I look forward to hearing from you, and to welcoming you back soon.