“Great evening entertainment”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Poole
jennylord
“Great evening entertainment”
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Warm welcome by reception, porters took my luggage while I was checking in. The receptionist explained all the hotel facilites. A lot to remember!!! The french manager at the desk offered me to change my room to a sea view room for the night to enjoy the firework display just right in front of the hotel for £ 40.00 extra only. Lovely room and the view was splendid from the balcony. There was a bbq but we went to their big restaurant where the food was excellent.
+ friendly staff, location, food, feature
- pool area, lift.
My partner and I really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
watford
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I have 4 kids, the older 2 (aged 9 and 5) absolutely love it, can't wait til their next visit and my daughter was devasted when we had to say good bye. The Funsters (childrens' entertainment team) are exceptional - they have boundless energy and are full of fun. The weather is irrelevant as the entertainment is very flexible and the kids don't notice whether it is raining or sunny outside.

This was our 5th trip to the Sandbanks hotel. Frankly if I didn't have kids, I wouldn't visit the hotel for the accomodation and the food. I agree with a previous review that the leisure/spa facillities are poor and the hotel could benefit from an outdoor pool. Yet, I love that there are kids from age 2 through to 15 all playing sleeping lions, hide and seek etc and enjoying it. There is also the option for over 8's to take part in water sports.

There are fireworks every Thursday at 10.00pm during August, accompanied by a BBQ and live band, when the hotel is heaving. This can be a great evening and is a pain if you want to get little ones to sleep.

It is not 5* luxury and the weather can be poor . Somehow there is a magic about the place that capitivates all that enjoy watching their kids have some good old fashioned fun whilst they sip on a cafe latte/Pimms on the gorgeous terrace.

Once again we couldn't resist booking for next year as we left....................

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank robwatford
kent
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I have just come back from my 2nd visit to The Sandbanks Hotel and once again I have to say that the bad reviews of this hotel are so unfair! It is a brilliant place to be. I am a vegan and my husband and children are vegetarians...the staff bent over backwards to make sure we had a perfect stay! The food was unbeatable, the service was outstanding, the kids club...well...outstanding too!

I would most definately return again, in fact we are going in October! It is not the cheapest place to stay but you absolutely get what you pay for.

Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so great!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I've been going to this hotel since i can remember + the people there are just so lovely! The entertainment team are great + the teen + adult zone gives me + my friend space away from our brothers! They funsters also have a childrens club which I used to go to + enjoy loads. I have to say I love everything about this hotel + cant wait to go again next year!

Swindon
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I have been coming to Sandbanks every year since i was born, i am now nearly 14 and i'm still in love with it. The funsters team is what makes it better than anywhere else, they are all lively and energetic and they always have big smiles on their faces. When i was 6 i met some people there and ever since me and my family have been going there with them as we live 5 hours apart, Its magical. I look foward to it every year and it is the highlight of my summer, i definately recommend it. For younger children there is daily entertainment led by the funsters team, but also there is now an adults and teens activities section which keeps me entertained.The funsters Jimbob, Dizzi Danni, Jiggy Gemma, Fab Fran, Funky Faye, Mad Matt all deserve a special mention as each year they make my holiday extra special. My younger brother thoroughly enjoys it too, because aswell as the funsters enertainment there is also a soft play area aswell as pool tables, ping pong tables and outdoor play area and much much more. The pool is great and is quite big aswell as the food which is absolutely delicious. It's also nice being quite literally 'on the beach', wiht the soft golden sand. All of the staff are very friendly and they all make you feel like they are willing to help you and that nothings a problem. So overall Sandbanks is my favourite holiday resort ever and I look foward to going there in the future. I definately recommend it to anyone of any age as there is always something going on there and everyone is always happy and bubbly. Its an amazing place, everyone should go there.

UK
Reviewed 28 July 2009

In summary. We had a great day and Sandbanks (and the weather) delivered.

Minor constructive critiscism:
Sebastien the organiser isn't the faster returner of communications - especially a few months or weeks before. But (probably cause he has many weddings to sort) as the wedding got closer he got quicker! On the whole though Sebastien was great, especially on the day. Silently lurking in the background making things happen very professionally and discreetly.

We would have welcomed templates for table organising.

I think the disco lights in the wedding ceremony room are tragic and the hotel should invest on a screen. We saw it done by a company for a day so its easily possible.

The ceremony room definitely benefited from chair covers. Expensive but transforming.

The Brassiere/reception was perfect. As was the food. Mark, the Chef is quiet and unassuming but very talented. He was SO helpful and up for any suggestions. The food was exactly as we tested and was a hit with everyone. (We had a hot and cold buffet).

Lots of space designated to the wedding.

Top tip, stick a child entertainer in the bar area for the speaches. Worked a treat.

The staff were a professional friendly team, no fuss, no trials and tribulations, no attitude. Perfect.

Highly recommend it if you want a relaxed informal-ish but classy wedding at a surprisingly good price.

Stephen & Lydia

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
bucks
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We had great weather, the staff were very polite and helpful, our rooms, 3, were clean and spacious. I was with my children, grandchildren and my elderly mother., and the location was good for my Mum to get down to the beach to be with the toddlers. Also, the food was very varied, and catered well for the vegiearian we have in our family.
So, what a pity that the lift's sensors did not appear to work well, and that my mum was hit twice on the arm as she was getting into the lift, causing bruising. However, she determined not to be put off and continued to use it. Going down to dinner with us she was again caught by the lift, even as she was clearly in, beyond the sensors, causing her to fall backwards, banging her head. She didn't want to 'make a fuss', but I reported it to reception and showed the receptionist her, now grazed, arm. And that was it........ no enquiry by the management as to how she was, absolutely no care taken and no apology. Also no health and safety record filled in.
I have since been in touch with the deputy manager, who tells me that the incident wasn't reported, but did send me a form to fill in.
Strange, that management was unaware, as the dining room knew, many guests knew, and certainly 2 receptionists knew.
Bad show Sandbanks! The lift clearly is old, it creaks, and in its present state is a danger to the more vulnerable.
Sharron Phillips

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Johnb2006, General Manager at Sandbanks Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2009
Dear Mrs. Phillips,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about the hotel and for confirming that you would recommend the hotel to a friend.

I note that you have a further visit planned shortly, and this will provide me with an opportunity to show to you the improvements which have been made to the lift to ensure that no further situations arise such as caused your mother to fall.

The information which you provided to us enabled us to explain the situation clearly to the lift engineers, and they recommended the installation of a system which greatly increased the number of sensors.

Their recommendation was implemented immediately and the system is now in place.

I do apologise that a misunderstanding by a member of my reception team resulted in the lack of enquiry relating to your mother’s welfare. I do assure you that our managers and staff are very caring people.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels