“A perfect night's stay”
Review of Hotel du Vin Poole

Hotel du Vin Poole
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We arrived at the HDV Poole looking and feeling like drowned rats after having left a festival and packing up our tent in torrential rain. And what an oasis it was.

The staff were warm and welcoming from the minute we arrived. Our standard room was spacious and spotless.

In the bistro we experienced the usual hdv/malmaison standard of service - attentive and friendly yet inobtrusive. the food and wine were also excellent.

On to a hot bath with gorgeous toiletries, and a perfect night's sleep in the obscenely comfy bed.

Very happy! A perfect end to the weekend.

• Stayed: June 2011
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin Poole

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip in January.

What can I tell you? I normally prefer serviced apartments for longer business trips but could not find anything with availability on my required dates. HdV came up with a superb deal I could not refuse, so I took the plunge.

And I am glad I did. Excellent service, excellent food (I had in-room dining every night - I had to work!) The room was spacious, glamorous, chic and luxurious. The staff were extremely welcoming, believe me when I say, nothing was too much trouble, sir.

Room service was universally excellent, all meals being to an extremely high standard and delivered promptly.

The high speed internet a tad expensive but worked well.

Normally a hotel I would associate with leisure travellers, it nevertheless fit the bill for me as a business traveller.

I want to go back. Now.

Room Tip: Flirt with the check in clerk
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BarrigntonIsTops
Reviewed 12 June 2011

After all the cool photos of fab bathrooms, tales of magical upgrades and some good dinners at other Hotels du Vin....we were shocked by the poor value for money here. We stay in dozens of hotels a year, in various countries. This was a 5-star price, without the experience to support it. The georgian building has charm, the fittings in the modest-sized rooms are good quality, the food delicious, the staff friendly and attentive. Perhaps I should have complained at the time, but I thought I'd just be offered a better room at a higher price, and didn't relish the thought of being the complaining guest. Fleeced.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank IRestedMyCase
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed at Hotel Du Vin Poole for 4 nights in early June. The hotel is in a great location in Poole old town. This was our first stay at the HDV chain, and I would definitely consider staying at one of their other establishments in preference to other hotel chains.

The room was lovely and a very good size - the monsoon shower in the bathroom was an absolute highlight, and the bed was very comfortable. The TV channels provided in the room were however quite limited - I was surprised that there were no 'digital' channels - instead there were the 5 standard channels and several Sky sports channels, which is fine if you are into sport I guess!

We ate in the Bistro/ restaurant 3 times - the service was excellent and the food was very good quality, but I found the menu a bit limited and some of the food was not quite to my taste.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel as a great place to stay in Poole.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ClareCollins
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Great hotel , fantastic food , just outstanding.

But why charge for parking and also a service charge added to the bill , I tipped when in the bar , so was amazed when I also hit with the service charge.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel du Vin. It's a charming warren of connected houses right by the Marina in Poole (although five minutes' walk away, so nice and quiet). All the little touches are perfect - great minibar, fluffy bathrobes, beautiful monsoon shower and fresh milk for tea and coffee. The staff were as delightful as the hotel - funny, natural and really welcoming.

We'd booked for a romantic night after a day exploring the sights of the Dorset coast and the valet parking was great. We wished we'd taken up the offer of a table for dinner though, as on a Saturday night all the nicer places were booked. We walked back to the hotel around 7.30 and found that there were no sittings left - and had a terrible meal in a pub on the Marina (avoid the pub with the green tiling front and the deeply offensive and unpleasant owner who objects to having uncooked and inedible fish returned). The breakfast was great - there was a slight mix up in that I thought we'd paid for this in the rate, and the desk staff removed this from our bill. I subsequently found out from my sister who is a frequent du Vin-er that this is never the case, so the way it was dealt with was doubly good. It is however expensive at 220 GBP for a nights' stay but I think provides good value.

All in all a fantastic first stay with the du Vin chain and I'll definitely be booking future weekend breaks away.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We arrived at the hotel and were welcomed by helpful and pleasant receptionists who showed us to our room. As we were only staying one night we cose a standard double room and was very surprised at the quality of the room. Huge shower room with lovely toiletries and soft fluffy towels. I stay in hotels regularly and would say the bed was one of the most comfortable ever. The breakfast was amazing and again nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Although the hotel was busy we felt like we were the only people in the restaurant. Overall lovely hotel with exceptional customer service.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple