“Disapointing!”
Review of Hotel du Vin Poole

Hotel du Vin Poole
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I will start this review by saying the previous weekend we stayed as a family at the Premier Inn in Putney, London and the stay there was faultless, clean rooms, fantastic breakfast and best of all smiling and genuinley pleasant happy to help staff.

Hotel Du Vin really should take time to look at something that was once great but is now very mediocre. Maybe there Directors and Managers should take a visit to a Premier inn?
We have stayed at Hotel Du Vin on a number of occasions before and after a visit to Bristol about 3 years ago we said we wouldnt bother again.

We arrived at 4pm on the Friday afternoon for a weekend stay. Check in was great, efficient friendly no problems at all and valet parking.
The room was what we expected, not large but not small, really what you would expect from a chain hotel, the bathroom was also no bigger or smaller than any normal hotel bathroom. Room decor was nice and the room was spotlessly clean. We made ourselves comfy and settled in before heading down to the bar for a drink and some dinner.

HDV bars are always fantastic places, quite pricey but worth it. Service here was great and we were greeted by the Restaurant manager and given menus etc and showed to our table.
The Friday evening meal was of a very good standard and the service fantastic. A most enjoyable evening - Thank you!

Saturday unfortunately was a bit of a different story.....The room was uncomfortably hot! We coulnt turn of the heated rail in bathroom and the aircon was far too noisy to sleep with...never mind we'll just keep the windows open, to be woken at 5am by the Seagulls...obviously not the fault of the hotel...by why always so hot everywhere?? Ok, so a poor nights sleep, its ok we have breakfast now.
When we arrived at breakfast we ordered a pot of tea and helped ourselves to cereal from the buffet, 10 minutes later we were still waiting on the tea so we politely asked again. I could tell that the breakfast waitress was not too happy about his second request but at last the tea did arrive. We had been at breakfast for about 25 minutes and were on a tight schedule for the day. Our Cooked order had still not been taken so I approached the waitress and said we were on a tight schedule so could we please order some breakfast. She said that she was busy and would get to us when she could. Our friends requested to order their breakfast 10 minutes later and was greeted with the same rude surly attitude. Sorry but that was it! We were staying in a 'Luxury' Hotel and paying a 'Luxury' price for the priviledge. Although the breakfast was good the service was terrible and the rudeness of the waitress I'm sorry to say was totally unacceptable!!!
Following breakfast I approached reception as I needed to fetch some things from my car. The girl on reception asked if I needed to use the car, I said no I just needed to get some things from it. This didnt seem to go down to well with her and unless I was using the car it would be a difficult process to retrieve anything from it....I was more than happy to walk to wherever it was parked and retrieve the things I needed myself, but she said it was difficult....It was clearly an inconvenience for her and she wasnt too friendly or happy to oblige. I explained we were off boating for the day and needed the items from my car. Eventually a young girl walked me across to the car park, I will add though that this girl was great and an assett to the Hotel.

We arrived back to the hotel at about 6pm after a very tiring day at sea. There was nobody in reception to give us our room key we waited about 5 minutes and still nobody arrived we toyed with the idea of actually telephoning the hotel to hopefully get somebody to attend reception. Finally I gave up and went behind myself to retrieve my room key.
We got our room, remember it 6pm and there were still Breakfast trays in the corridors with half eaten food all over them....Lets be honest, this is not very good, and not expected in a luxury hotel.

That evening we decided to eat elsewhere and got back to the hotel about 11pm ready for a good nights sleep...no chance! woken at 5am by continous water running through the pipes and music noise from another room. I will admit to being a relitively light sleeper but not excessively so.
Breakfast was slightly better than the previous day, the staff were certainly more friendly but the breakfast room seemed very understaffed causing long delays. Everytime we needed to order anything it was us who had to request service, whether it was to order tea, cooked breakfast anything....surely I shouldnt have to do this..after all, Luxury Hotel, Luxury prices, Luxury Service???? I also asked for a Yoghurt but was informed they had run out of yoghurt...Really? Our friends asked for a Latte...sorry the machine isnt working...Really? Can we have some more fruit....this just didnt turn up!
Ok lets check out and get on the road. We checked our bill and had been overcharged by £30 for 2 persons breakfasts that were included in our room rate and charged us for a bottle of Champagne rather than Chardonnay...this was however all corrected at the time of checkout.
Overall a poor experience for what should have been a fantastic weekend.
I will add that if you read my previous reviews you will see that I am not just a 'Serial Moaner' and always leave honest reviews based on the level of service and hotel quality.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Alfietom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,250)

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed on Easter Sunday,the whole place had a great atmosphere,we caught the tail end of lunch service and enjoyed a couple of cocktails in the great little bar,service was top notch. Kristian the bar manager-mixoligist was friendly and very professional.(More about that later) The room was a suite with roll top bath in the sitting area and a huge walk in monsoon shower in a separate bathroom. The room Dom.Val.was quiet,restful and at the end of its own corridor with no rooms either side. We stayed on the Sunday value deal,the room rate was reduced to 125 pounds instead of 375 pounds as long as you spent 75 pounds in the Bistro for dinner. The room was great value for money,but to be honest, I would not stay here at the normal rate,but then again I don't have a yacht in the Quay or a million in the bank. The bistro provided a cool,relaxed environment for dinner and the food was superb(see separate review) After dinner,we were lured back to the bar by Kristians great cocktails skills and sat and chatted for an hour before,hitting our oversize, comfortable bed. The only small niggle was on arrival at 2pm our room was not ready,but we took the opportunity to wander around the back streets and Quay of the town,only minutes away. On return 90mins later the room was just about ready,so a little naughty really! The hotel staff are very friendly and make you feel welcome. Cambridge Du Vin is next on our list and will look to try a few more in the chain.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank CraigMutch
Reviewed 12 April 2012

What a great experience at this hotel - from check-in to check-out everything was fantastic.
Our room was very comfortable with a luxurious bathroom and large double bed. It was nice to have a balcony - shame it wasn't the right weather to be able to sit out on it & relax.
What we liked about this hotel - particularly for a hotel in the UK was the attention to detail. Everything in the room worked - TV, Nespresso machine etc. The room was fresh with no faded decoration or tatty tired looking fittings and it made you feel like you were on holiday inviting you to relax and enjoy yourselves.
I liked the idea of listing where everything in the room is available from with much of it coming from "normal" shops like John Lewis. Very helpful when you're looking to buy a new house...
Breakfast was very tasty - there wasn't a mountain of food but what there was was delicious and the choice off the menu was well cooked and well presented.
We would definitely stay in a Hotel du Vin again - may be not in Poole though as there's not much to do especially when it's raining...
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I made the mistake of choosing the weekend away on the basis of the hotel. Lovely hotel, really welcoming and brilliant to find a dog friendly hotel. But dinner was overpriced and just average. And Poole for the weekend? Not again in this lifetime! The local authority need to sort out the rubbish which was overflowing from the bins; there was even a mattress on the sea front path. Quite depressing. A working port is an odd choice for Hotel du Vin. Lots of fabulous walks within driving distance by but not much to recommend the immediate area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank legallynn
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Great hotel centrally located. We stayed in the Mac Forbes room, it was bright airy & spacious. We did the offer of dinner bed & breakfast & it was great value for money. The lady in the restaurant really knew her stuff. Whilst Poole isn't my favourite destination, this is an oasis in the centre.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Essen64
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We went to Poole back on Valentines weekend and decided to stay at Hotel du Vin in Poole. We had heard a lot of good things about the chain and we booked a room, bed and bistro deal direct with the hotel which included dinner in the bistro.
We had a great stay, room was modern and nice and spacious and the dinner was very good in the bistro, we could have been in a London restaurant. The deal we had from the hotel included three courses and the side (although my good wife would not recommend the Beetroot Risotto!). Afterwards my wife and I had a nightcap in the wonderful snug bar in front of the bar.
Staff were really friendly and location of the hotel is very good, close to Poole harbour.
So why not five stars - my wife and I try to have these romantic weekends at boutique hotels around the UK a few times a year and although this was great it did not have the x factor to get 5 stars - for example I would always love a sea view!
Definitely well recommended though for anyone going to Poole for a break.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JACKSONJE8
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed a couple of nights in Poole. The hotel is just 200 yards from the quay front, which was packed when we arrived as it was the first sunny weekend of the year, but there was an air of tranquility around the hotel. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful on arrival, as were all the staff that we encountered. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple