“Lovely hotel for a weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel du Vin Poole

Hotel du Vin Poole
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Poole
London
“Lovely hotel for a weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at the Hotel du Vin for a weekend whilst exploring Poole and beyond to the Isle of Purbeck. We got a good rate for one night with lastminute.com for a superior double £90 and decided to extend to the 2nd night, not such a good deal with the hotel directly but worth it to stay for the weekend.

The hotel is near the Quay in a lovely quaint little street, a beautiful old building with a very nice bar and restaurant on the lower floor. We were given the Raul Collet Suite with seperate areas for the desk, bed and wardrobe. The room was good, as was the bathroom which was a good size and well fitted out.

In all a good hotel and allowing we could find a similar deal price we would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LondonKymani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Each room in the Hotel Du Vin are creatively designed, with class, elegance and flavour. The public areas are just terrific with the artwork, furnishings, and original upholstery.

Food in the restaurant, all members of our wedding party agreed was delicious paired with excellent service from the Waiters and Waitresses working that night, in particular Claire who exceeded our needs and expectations of good customer service.

Wine tasting was an educational experience, and Chad led the activity well and was knowledgeable in his area of expertise. It is fantastic that the wine cellar can be viewed from the bar through a glass window, really showcasing the hotel's facilities and USP - Wine.

Disappointing treatment from the Event Planner, Thomas was the only thing that let us and the bridge/groom down. On arrival, he was not present to meet us as planned, and so not entirely sure where we were going or what the plan was, the supposed role of Thomas. As we moved through, we saw him in the bar meeting other clients - this gave the impression he is only really interested until the payment's made, especially when there was not any acknowledgement throughout the day from him even passing us at one point! At Dinner, the menu plan he had said he'd draw up was nowhere to be found leaving it to Claire and her team to pick up the pieces. Even the photographer admitted she felt embarrassed for the hotel.

Apart from this, the Hotel Du Vin is definitely recommended to all looking for somewhere to stay, eat or celebrate!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

My husband and I were lucky enough to be given a voucher for Afternoon Tea at Hotel du Vin by my sister. We booked the day before and when we arrived, the staff were extremely welcoming. They had prepared us a lovely seating area and served us up teas of our choice followed by a fine selection of sandwiches and various cakes and fruit scones and loaves! So much, in fact, that we had to ask for a 'doggy bag' to take them home! They were far too delicious to leave! A wonderful treat.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CurlyWurlyL
Truro - Cornwall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I will start this review by saying the previous weekend we stayed as a family at the Premier Inn in Putney, London and the stay there was faultless, clean rooms, fantastic breakfast and best of all smiling and genuinley pleasant happy to help staff.

Hotel Du Vin really should take time to look at something that was once great but is now very mediocre. Maybe there Directors and Managers should take a visit to a Premier inn?
We have stayed at Hotel Du Vin on a number of occasions before and after a visit to Bristol about 3 years ago we said we wouldnt bother again.

We arrived at 4pm on the Friday afternoon for a weekend stay. Check in was great, efficient friendly no problems at all and valet parking.
The room was what we expected, not large but not small, really what you would expect from a chain hotel, the bathroom was also no bigger or smaller than any normal hotel bathroom. Room decor was nice and the room was spotlessly clean. We made ourselves comfy and settled in before heading down to the bar for a drink and some dinner.

HDV bars are always fantastic places, quite pricey but worth it. Service here was great and we were greeted by the Restaurant manager and given menus etc and showed to our table.
The Friday evening meal was of a very good standard and the service fantastic. A most enjoyable evening - Thank you!

Saturday unfortunately was a bit of a different story.....The room was uncomfortably hot! We coulnt turn of the heated rail in bathroom and the aircon was far too noisy to sleep with...never mind we'll just keep the windows open, to be woken at 5am by the Seagulls...obviously not the fault of the hotel...by why always so hot everywhere?? Ok, so a poor nights sleep, its ok we have breakfast now.
When we arrived at breakfast we ordered a pot of tea and helped ourselves to cereal from the buffet, 10 minutes later we were still waiting on the tea so we politely asked again. I could tell that the breakfast waitress was not too happy about his second request but at last the tea did arrive. We had been at breakfast for about 25 minutes and were on a tight schedule for the day. Our Cooked order had still not been taken so I approached the waitress and said we were on a tight schedule so could we please order some breakfast. She said that she was busy and would get to us when she could. Our friends requested to order their breakfast 10 minutes later and was greeted with the same rude surly attitude. Sorry but that was it! We were staying in a 'Luxury' Hotel and paying a 'Luxury' price for the priviledge. Although the breakfast was good the service was terrible and the rudeness of the waitress I'm sorry to say was totally unacceptable!!!
Following breakfast I approached reception as I needed to fetch some things from my car. The girl on reception asked if I needed to use the car, I said no I just needed to get some things from it. This didnt seem to go down to well with her and unless I was using the car it would be a difficult process to retrieve anything from it....I was more than happy to walk to wherever it was parked and retrieve the things I needed myself, but she said it was difficult....It was clearly an inconvenience for her and she wasnt too friendly or happy to oblige. I explained we were off boating for the day and needed the items from my car. Eventually a young girl walked me across to the car park, I will add though that this girl was great and an assett to the Hotel.

We arrived back to the hotel at about 6pm after a very tiring day at sea. There was nobody in reception to give us our room key we waited about 5 minutes and still nobody arrived we toyed with the idea of actually telephoning the hotel to hopefully get somebody to attend reception. Finally I gave up and went behind myself to retrieve my room key.
We got our room, remember it 6pm and there were still Breakfast trays in the corridors with half eaten food all over them....Lets be honest, this is not very good, and not expected in a luxury hotel.

That evening we decided to eat elsewhere and got back to the hotel about 11pm ready for a good nights sleep...no chance! woken at 5am by continous water running through the pipes and music noise from another room. I will admit to being a relitively light sleeper but not excessively so.
Breakfast was slightly better than the previous day, the staff were certainly more friendly but the breakfast room seemed very understaffed causing long delays. Everytime we needed to order anything it was us who had to request service, whether it was to order tea, cooked breakfast anything....surely I shouldnt have to do this..after all, Luxury Hotel, Luxury prices, Luxury Service???? I also asked for a Yoghurt but was informed they had run out of yoghurt...Really? Our friends asked for a Latte...sorry the machine isnt working...Really? Can we have some more fruit....this just didnt turn up!
Ok lets check out and get on the road. We checked our bill and had been overcharged by £30 for 2 persons breakfasts that were included in our room rate and charged us for a bottle of Champagne rather than Chardonnay...this was however all corrected at the time of checkout.
Overall a poor experience for what should have been a fantastic weekend.
I will add that if you read my previous reviews you will see that I am not just a 'Serial Moaner' and always leave honest reviews based on the level of service and hotel quality.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Alfietom
Corby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed on Easter Sunday,the whole place had a great atmosphere,we caught the tail end of lunch service and enjoyed a couple of cocktails in the great little bar,service was top notch. Kristian the bar manager-mixoligist was friendly and very professional.(More about that later) The room was a suite with roll top bath in the sitting area and a huge walk in monsoon shower in a separate bathroom. The room Dom.Val.was quiet,restful and at the end of its own corridor with no rooms either side. We stayed on the Sunday value deal,the room rate was reduced to 125 pounds instead of 375 pounds as long as you spent 75 pounds in the Bistro for dinner. The room was great value for money,but to be honest, I would not stay here at the normal rate,but then again I don't have a yacht in the Quay or a million in the bank. The bistro provided a cool,relaxed environment for dinner and the food was superb(see separate review) After dinner,we were lured back to the bar by Kristians great cocktails skills and sat and chatted for an hour before,hitting our oversize, comfortable bed. The only small niggle was on arrival at 2pm our room was not ready,but we took the opportunity to wander around the back streets and Quay of the town,only minutes away. On return 90mins later the room was just about ready,so a little naughty really! The hotel staff are very friendly and make you feel welcome. Cambridge Du Vin is next on our list and will look to try a few more in the chain.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CraigMutch
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

What a great experience at this hotel - from check-in to check-out everything was fantastic.
Our room was very comfortable with a luxurious bathroom and large double bed. It was nice to have a balcony - shame it wasn't the right weather to be able to sit out on it & relax.
What we liked about this hotel - particularly for a hotel in the UK was the attention to detail. Everything in the room worked - TV, Nespresso machine etc. The room was fresh with no faded decoration or tatty tired looking fittings and it made you feel like you were on holiday inviting you to relax and enjoy yourselves.
I liked the idea of listing where everything in the room is available from with much of it coming from "normal" shops like John Lewis. Very helpful when you're looking to buy a new house...
Breakfast was very tasty - there wasn't a mountain of food but what there was was delicious and the choice off the menu was well cooked and well presented.
We would definitely stay in a Hotel du Vin again - may be not in Poole though as there's not much to do especially when it's raining...
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I made the mistake of choosing the weekend away on the basis of the hotel. Lovely hotel, really welcoming and brilliant to find a dog friendly hotel. But dinner was overpriced and just average. And Poole for the weekend? Not again in this lifetime! The local authority need to sort out the rubbish which was overflowing from the bins; there was even a mattress on the sea front path. Quite depressing. A working port is an odd choice for Hotel du Vin. Lots of fabulous walks within driving distance by but not much to recommend the immediate area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple