“Slick, stylish and indulgent” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin Poole

Hotel du Vin Poole
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Poole
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Slick, stylish and indulgent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

This hotel is slick, stylish and indulgent. We spent Saturday the 17th June here on a last minute whim with 2 teenage children and one dog (yes, every hotels worst nightmare). The staff could not have been more accommodating.
We did not eat in the bistro due to the dog, but we asked for bistro menu to be served in the bar (be warned, the bar areas are very busy due to their popularity with the locals). Wine list, beer, cocktails, all of the highest quality. Steaks were awesome.
Breakfast was excellent - even chocolate cake on the buffet, which my daughter had as an appetiser prior to the best made waffle ever with warm nutella - she was in heaven. My husband and i had eggs benedict with the most fantastic bacon, son had smoked salmon, scrambled egg and black pudding (!) As non coffee and tea drinkers it was great to have a selection of chilled water and juices with PROPER size glasses.
Not cheap at all, but we all left the next morning with a smile on our faces and no regrets at the blow out - this place manages to give you a real taste of luxury with non of the pompousness of other hotels we have stayed at.
Would love to go to another in the chain with friends - maybe on one of the wine tasting deals (the wine tasting room looks amazing) - not sure if our kids and dog will let us go without them though!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012 via mobile

Recent reviews may overstate the overall quality of this hotel, but it is a great stop if you're coming late off the ferry. Just a few minutes away from the ramp and you're in the lobby. For me, the convenience of valet parking was a real plus. We dined in, and I thought that was the only part of the hotel which lacked a value for money dimension.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Booked a last minute night away and the hotel was lovely. We had requested a walk in shower but were allocated a room with a shower over the bath. Reception staff were very helpful and even though they were full they did their best to resolve this. Nothing seemed too much trouble which is a fantastic quality to have in staff.
Bed was incredibly comfortable, toiletries and tea/coffee is great. Only down side is there were no biscuits and you had to pay for the water.
That really is my only gripe.
Breakfast was lovely and again staff were super.
We will definitely return and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Blackheath london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed one night and after finding it and discovered the £10 per night valet parking convenience,we were shown our room along a network of corridors, stairs, and more stairs to our room with an entirely forgettable name.Would have welcomed help with our luggage but service overall excellent and largely local. Bar area, restaurant and other rooms stylish and oozing relaxed comfort.Didn't eat in as discovered brilliant restaurant round corner in High Street called Storm where fisherman catches then cooks wonderful fresh fish,served by attentive Hungarian and Latvian waitresses.Senior staff local and very professional. Hotel room spacious and up to usual Hotel Du Vin Standard.Got impression slightly less keen on us as we booked through a booking site.Quite pricey but very pleasant.

Room Tip: Book direct and negotiate best deal after checking offers!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I booked a standard double here and the room was perfect - beautiful bathroom, comfy bed, beautiful decor - I could not fault the room. I was convinced by the staff to book the 19£ Friday night deal which includes a meal for 2 and breakfast for 2. As this sounded good value, we were surprised to be told by the staff that there was no set menu and some dishes may cost more but they wouldn't tell us which. The food in the restaurant was lovely, however the service was very presumptuous. We were asked when we were going to order wine when we had just ordered to other drinks. We were pushed into ordering certain dishes by very pushy staff. Then when we came to the bill we were given the wrong bill , costing over £100 and then given another wrong bill. It was very pushy and we felt mildly stressed through the whole evening by the constant upselling.
There are also hidden costs at this hotel - to park the car cost £10 and a service charge of £17 was placed on to our bill. Beautiful, beautiful room, but I would not return here based on the awful service.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the du vin poole for one night whilst between business trips.

My parter and I arrived seperatly and both had a similarly poor experience at check in.

I arrived, bag laden to no reception and then found the room off the main hall. The room resembles something of a lounge, with low tables, ornaments, a fire place and sofas, which apon arriving I really liked - but the room was deserted. After me a large family piled in, and when the reservationist arrived 5 or so minutes later, she stood in the doorway and addressed the larger group, leaving me at the desk STILL waiting!! After the 3 rooms had all paid and been checked in, each shown to their rooms, I was STILL waiting at the desk some 30 mins later after driving 400 miles not at all impressed. The reservationist didn't even offer me an apology for my wait! I was stunned!

The hotel was clearly quite quiet on this particular evening as we were asked on 4 seperated occasions whether or not we would be dining...we were not.

Having had a very long day and a poor start at check in we were looking forward to reaching the bar at 9pm. We weren't dissapointed! As ALWAYS the wine selection was second to none, chilled to perfection. The service was impressive - we ordered nuts and olives with our wine and asked that they keep coming....the thoughtful waiters kept our bowls topped up ALL night.

3 bottles of wine and copious olives later we found the bar empty and the time 1am - the waiter kindly left the light on for us so that we didn't have to retire to another room! Fantastic service in my opinion - and we tipped generously as way of thanks!

Our room was standard. As always in my experience the size of the room is immaterial because they have everything you require and are finished to a superior standard - du vin always offer in my opinion a home from home experience.

If I were to be constructive I would say a fantastic property with GREAT bar - but reservations/reception needs attention.

• Stayed January 2012
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

We have now used the facilities at Brighton and stayed at Bristol, Newcastle and one Poole.
The room was a standard (without roll top bath, my fault as I didn't check) and was very good. The bed, as always was superb and all the facilities we needed. The hotel it's self is compact and has the usual personal boutique feel we get from HdV.
The stay was made by the warmth of the staff and although not wishing to exclude anyone; especially by Graham in the Bistro and Christian in the Bar.
You simply have to try the Chateaubriand (for 2) and a Black Hawk cocktail (invented by Christian). Simply the best beef I have ever ate anywhere and a visit on line to buy some spirits!
You do pay for this level of quality, but if it means fewer trips, but at these standards, count me in.
Our next trip is Newcastle in June and I'm already looking forward to returning there after the last visit.
I can't recommend this chain enough.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple